Hors d'oeuvres at Happy Hour?

giltedge

Yes, but remember the appearance of appetizers is pretty much coordinated with the fixed dining times. That means that they'll show up as pre-dinner Nibblies at a time that makes sense for people eating at around the early or late seating. If you are in open seating and choose to eat at a midway time, like 7:00 PM, you might be out of sync for appetizer service. I suppose you could always start drinking early.... :)

IMO, the variety and the quality of the hot hors d'oeuvres served has improved on my recent cruises. I used to have to ask a bartender or lounge steward(ess) if any were available. On my most recent cruises, they are offered without having to be requested. I really do appreciate that!

Not always available, but if one is tired of the ordinary peanuts that are always available (except on Gala Nights when "formal nuts", i.e. an assortment of mixed nuts is served), one can request Goldfish. During one Happy Hour, no Goldfish were available in the Crow's Nest pantry. The next afternoon and there after, Goldfish were available, if requested.

Edited by rkacruiser

I concur with Mame42, the more the staff get to know you the better you are served. Not just with the appetizers, but with overall service.

If you are a frequent HAL cruiser, you will re-discover servers from another ship. If you are a nice person, they will remember you and really treat you well. If you are not a nice person, they will remember you and treat you just OK.

Jim

draftxhorselover.

Re: your post, "Ha Ha..funny one..formal nuts----

The term "formal nuts" to describe the assortment of mixed nuts served on Formal/Gala Nights was one that I first heard from a very long and well respected HAL cruiser, the late Mary Hanley. I had the pleasure of sailing with this always interesting woman more than once. Even though I was a real "newbie" in comparison with her cruise experience, sitting at the Crow's Nest Bar (or elsewhere on the ship), she willingly shared her stories, offered travel advice, and answered this "newbie" questions. The bartenders loved her as I have no doubt the rest of the crew did as well.

When I use the term "formal nuts", either written or spoken to my fellow cruisers, I do so with the most sincere respect for her memory.

draftxhorselover, I use the term "formal nuts" not to be funny. But, I do it to honor Mrs. Hanley's memory.

draftxhorselover.

Re: your post, "Ha Ha..funny one..formal nuts----

The term "formal nuts" to describe the assortment of mixed nuts served on Formal/Gala Nights was one that I first heard from a very long and well respected HAL cruiser, the late Mary Hanley. I had the pleasure of sailing with this always interesting woman more than once. Even though I was a real "newbie" in comparison with her cruise experience, sitting at the Crow's Nest Bar (or elsewhere on the ship), she willingly shared her stories, offered travel advice, and answered this "newbie" questions. The bartenders loved her as I have no doubt the rest of the crew did as well.

When I use the term "formal nuts", either written or spoken to my fellow cruisers, I do so with the most sincere respect for her memory.

draftxhorselover, I use the term "formal nuts" not to be funny. But, I do it to honor Mrs. Hanley's memory.

We've used that term for many cruises on HAL over the years and appreciate your information on its history.