Holland America Line Raises Prices in Specialty Restaurants Across Cruise Fleet

LauraS

I have never booked a dining package, and I see that if you book all 3 venues - PG, Tamarind and Canaletto, the savings basically gives you Canaletto free.

I know that individual dining reservations have a percentage savings (I am new to 4 star, as 3 star I remember it being 25%, not sure if it rises to 50% once 4 star) ... Would this discount be applicable also to dining packages?

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

Carol,

You srhould get the discount on the packages.

I think they should be careful raising prices on Canaletto, i am not sure it is worth $10/pp.

Going on Kdam in october.....how does canaletto work? What is included in that $15pp ?

Funny Dave:rolleyes:

So you can try everything on the small plate menu for that $15pp. Why are prices listed next to items then? So you would pay $30 per couple and pay for listed menu items?

Here is the Canaletto Menu from May 2016 to include the wine/cocktail list:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Canaletto.pdf

I understood that since the dining package already has a discount applied, it did not qualify for the 3*, 4* and 5* discounts. Don't have any personal experience because we have always booked them separately.

Several regular HAL cruisers regularly post menus, and have links to such. Here is one.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3KdvpB6bO1ZaFZkZDZmMS1jeGc

Thanks - however, the Canaletto menu in the link you provided does NOT show individual prices (nor, for that matter, does the one provided by Crew News), as lahlah57 represented ... so I repeat my question: Where can I find one that shows individual food item prices?

Funny Dave:rolleyes:

So you can try everything on the small plate menu for that $15pp. Why are prices listed next to items then? So you would pay $30 per couple and pay for listed menu items?

There are no prices on menu items. It's recommended that each couple order 2 small plates, 1 past and 1 large plate.

Thanks - however, the Canaletto menu in the link you provided does NOT show individual prices (nor, for that matter, does the one provided by Crew News), as lahlah57 represented ... so I repeat my question: Where can I find one that shows individual food item prices?

Why would it show prices?:confused:

There are no prices on menu items. It's recommended that each couple order 2 small plates, 1 past and 1 large plate.

Okay...I get it now! Just wanted the inclusives for the $15pp! Thankyou everyone:)

Hi lahlah57, Glad you understand now:) As to what the inclusives for the Canaletto dinner is you would/could choose as suggested by dakreweser says, 2 small plates (appetizers), 1 pasta for each of you, 1 large plate for each of you and finally 1 dessert for each person.

Going by Crew News's scanned Canaletto menu, http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Canaletto.pdf

and the link to Lizzie68's Photo of the menu: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3KdvpB6bO1Zd0FfY1F3bFhXN1E/view?usp=sharing

I do have to say that at our local Italian Dine in Restaurant, the prices are nearly 3 times the price HAL charges. So, in my opinion it is a great deal:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

I understood that since the dining package already has a discount applied, it did not qualify for the 3*, 4* and 5* discounts. Don't have any personal experience because we have always booked them separately.

I believe this is incorrect but like you, I don't have any direct experience. The package discounts are very small so who in their right mind would take that over the 3,4,5 star discounts (I know, 1 & 2 stars). I will confirm this on our next cruise.

[quote name='KirkNC;50692220

]Carol' date='

You should get the discount on the packages.

I think they should be careful raising prices on Canaletto, i am not sure it is worth $10/pp.[/quote']

Agreed. We first experienced it on the Eurodam in 2010 when it was free and we considered it alright, but the next trip (2013) they had changed the menu and starting charging.

I'm already paying a lot of $$ per day and don't really find the canaletto to be worth it. Same thing with the Pinnacle Grill, while we've may eat there once during a cruise, its pricey. Most cruises we get a free Pinnacle from our TAs so we have experienced it, but don't consider the extra $ worth it. Especially since they took my wifes favorite (lobster ravioli) off the menu.

Now the Tamrind I did find worth it. Its so different from any other type of restaurant.

I know this is all subjective, but thats just one couples opinion.

Hi Dave!!!

Last cruise on The Nieuw we both had a small plate, both ordered pasta and I had the sea bass and my husband had a veal dish. We were not piggies and enjoyed the meal! We asked if we could order like we did and they had no problem!

I did miss there antipasto that they would bring around while ordering drinks! And the Oso Buco was the best ever! But alas that did not last long🙁

I have enjoyed the meals but will try again on The Eurodam Med cruise we will be on.

As a 4 Star the perks for the dinners are nice!

Denise :)

Dinner at the Pinnacle Grill is only 25,000 points through the Holland America visa card. That translates to (very roughly) $25, which is actually a discount from the old $29 fee. Not sure when the price increase will work through the card system, but thought people might like to know.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Specialty dining, does anyone know how far out from the cruise Specialty dining options may be purchased thru your booking? I have a cruise in Feb that still will not allow me access to specialty dining.:confused:

Speaking of Specialty dining, does anyone know how far out from the cruise Specialty dining options may be purchased thru your booking? I have a cruise in Feb that still will not allow me access to specialty dining.:confused:

In general, reservations can be made several months before the cruise. However, the last several years there has been one exception to that rule.

For the last several years posters have found that reservations for a coming calendar year aren't opened until fall of the current year. The dining calendar just isn't loaded in the HAL system until sometime in October or November. Try again then.

Dinner at the Pinnacle Grill is only 25,000 points through the Holland America visa card. That translates to (very roughly) $25, which is actually a discount from the old $29 fee. Not sure when the price increase will work through the card system, but thought people might like to know.

That should read 2,500 points. Eeep.