Panama-Zuiderdam-stay on ship or take tour???

weloveourdoggie

New to HAL...we are booked on Zuiderdam Jan 4...we are wondering what is best the day we are at Panama Canal...I have seen posts stating if you take a tour you miss coming out of the lock. We want to see as much of the canal and how it operates as we can...any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. We have been on several cruises but never to Panama Canal. Thank you for any help with this.

New to HAL...we are booked on Zuiderdam Jan 4...we are wondering what is best the day we are at Panama Canal...I have seen posts stating if you take a tour you miss coming out of the lock. We want to see as much of the canal and how it operates as we can...any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. We have been on several cruises but never to Panama Canal. Thank you for any help with this.

There is no right or wrong answer or decision here IMO.

I am assuming this is the Panama Sunfarer? (Partial Panama). If it is and you are up early you will be watching as you go through the locks to get to Gatun Lake. Many like taking tours to see more of the Panama but you can also stay on board and watch as you turn around. It is basically the same as when you entered.

If you do take a tour you won't see the ship go back through so it is totally what you prefer :)

We stayed on board and watched the process from beginning to end from different places on the ship. It was an exciting day--up early to watch the ships line up and then to watch as we followed a huge container ship through the lock. On the way back we had a good look at the new lock construction. Just me but I enjoyed staying on the ship and watching it all!

You will love it

I also assume you are doing the partial PC cruise, so you will be going in and back out the same locks.

When we did this we were fortunate to have an aft-wrap cabin (expensive but worth it IMO), so we decided to stay onboard and enjoy the canal as much as possible from this great location on the ship. We had some people join us for the return transit and it became a nice party.

Baring this situation, I would opt for an excursion (begins in the lake), meeting up with the ship in Colon. I think the most popular one completes the canal transit on a smaller boat and comes back by rail (of course check your sailing for details). It is a long and hot day however.

We liked the Canal enough to book a full transit this coming Spring! Be sure to read a good book on the canal construction prior to your visit, as it is quite interesting.

Actually the exit IS different in terms of view and a bit in process. If there is a next time I might do a shorex. TBH the early morning passage you do not want to miss.

I chose to stay on the ship to experience the whole process. Also Amsterdam was behind us, heading out on World Cruise. We had a modest bout of tooting as they passed us in Lake Gatun.

1929781_10153501651023285_7297285643915832496_n_zpsl28jizta.jpg

We did a tour that was a small boat wildlife cruise of Gatum Lake. We were then taken to the observation deck for the locks and watched the Zuiderdam go through the locks for her return trip.

It was pretty cool - waving to fellow passengers and crew as they went by.

I love to go through the locks so I stay on board. I watch from the crows nest and avoid the heat of Panama as we go back out of the locks.I watch from the upper promenade deck forward as we go through the locks to Gatun Lake. This is before the sun comes up.

Edited by Himself

I love to go through the locks so I stay on board. I watch from the crows nest and avoid the heat of Panama as we go back out of the locks.I watch from the upper promenade deck forward as we go through the locks to Gatun Lake. This is before the sun comes up.

We booked this cruise (Sunfarer) specifically because we wanted to locks in the Panama Canal. We plan to experience them from a different location each direction.

Frankly - having never been to the Panama Canal before - there's nothing else in Panama that has enough of a draw to lure us away from one of the pass-throughs :D

I have been through the canal twice (with a third time booked) and it is something I don't think I could tire of. Both times I have noticed different things along the way. Be sure to move around the ship (up and down, forward and aft) to maximize the different views. One of the things I like is to be on a lower deck (like the Promenade) and watch as the ship is raised or lowered. You are looking at the countryside and the buildings and a few minutes later you are looking at the side of the canal (or vice-versa). When you factor in that the technology that built the canal was that of a hundred years ago, it is truly awe-inspiring.

To answer your question, I think I would stay onboard even though it would be kind of fun to watch your ship go through like Homosassa did.

We are also booked on an upcoming Panama Canal Sunfarer on the Zuiderdam (Feb. 5). We're still undecided about what to do but I'm leaning toward staying on the ship.

Besides posting here, I suggest reading the REVIEWS of the various excursions on the HAL website. They give you a very good idea of what each excursion entails. (You can only leave the ship in Gatun Lake if you are on a HAL excursion). For me, I would hate to take the 8 hr. boat/train option and then, a few hours into it, feel like I've had enough of heat and humidity.

Have a great trip!

We stayed ON the ship on our 10 day Sunfarer for both ways into and return thru the canal. It was a great day and we got so many pictures from different angles and different levels on the ship. If we were to do it again I would still STAY ON.....we enjoyed it a lot.

Below is a short video of our Panama Canal cruise. We really enjoyed Costa Rica the most I think. Also enjoyed the days they have on the ship, outside the Lido decks, BBQ is so delicious and fun!!

Have an awesome time !!!!!!!!!!!

We want to see as much of the canal and how it operates as we can[/i]...any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. We have been on several cruises but never to Panama Canal. Thank you for any help with this.

If this is your goal then you should consider the shorex that takes you to the Pacific side for the passage through those two locks and through Gaillard Cut. Staying on for the return trip through Gatun Locks is interesting, but it is ground already covered. The round trip through Gatun Locks only provides you with seeing 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal. The excursion through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut provide a lot more to feast your eyes on... sail under two very striking bridges, transit the Gaillard Cut where the bulk of the excavation for the Canal took place and is still taking place. Get a great view of Panama City's skyline, quite spectacular.

One other plus in taking this particular excursion... when you experience going through Gatun Locks on your Panamax ship, sometimes the ship can overwhelm the locks with it filling up so much of the chamber. As a result you can almost seem a bit removed from the experience of being raised 85'. On the other hand locking through the Pacific Locks on the smaller vessel gives you a completely different feel for the process. It is a wonderful opportunity to see the Canal from two different perspectives.

Whatever you decide... enjoy!

We did the Sunfarer cruise last year. Our main interest, like yours, was in seeing the canal and its operations, so we stayed on board. The morning transit was a bit of a madhouse, and some sharp elbows (and sharp words) were thrown as there are unfortunately always a few people who are determined to get the "best" view and don't care how they go about doing that. So we were glad we stayed on board, and had great viewing on the transit back out through the locks. It was a much more relaxed time.

Earlier this year we did a b2b on the Zuiderdam that did the partial transit each time. The first time Mr Chew got off for a tour that went to Panama City (I was not feeling well so stayed on board) and the second leg we both stayed on to watch. Each time we were up early to watch the entrance into the canal. It is so interesting and a little different every time. (We did the same partial in 2015 and a full transit several years prior to that)

This year, on both legs, the excursion that leaves the ship in Gatun Lake and continues through the canal on a small excursion ship into the Pacific, then takes buses back - was delayed by 6 to 7 hours returning to the Zdam. The smaller ships have to wait for other ships to share the lock in order to make the cost manageable. Sometimes they have to wait a long, long time. Those folks had a long, long day in the heat and many of them were very uncomfortable & unhappy. The Lido was kept open until 10 pm so they could at least eat when they got back to the ship.

While the ship was able to wait at the dock in Colon, the Captain and crew were very unhappy about it. Apparently there had been a lot of back & forth with Seattle about discontinuing this particular cruise. So - while I think it is totally worthwhile to do the entire transit, check carefully before booking this excursion (if indeed it is still offered)!

We stayed on board last time on our last partial transit and will be doing so again from our aft stateroom. We enjoyed the shade, our own bathroom, Room Service, visiting friends, and a great view.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/panama-canal/panama-canal-westbound-gatun-locks/

Photos look just like mine! You must have been in a corner aft (deck 5 is my favorite).

Photos look just like mine! You must have been in a corner aft (deck 5 is my favorite).

Actually Deck 6 (6166) our first partial transit but have moved down to the most popular 5190 for even more shade this November.

Edited by Crew News

I'm booked on this sailing.

My only previous stop in Colon was a full-day there back in December 2009 on Carnival Miracle. We did a fantastic non-ship tour that went to the Embera Indian village and came back to the locks, where we were just in time to see a freighter come through.

This time, I plan on staying on the ship so I get the locks in both directions.

I'd been hoping to do a full transit by now (that one visit there convinced me that it was something to put on my bucket list) but it just hasn't worked out. So I'm going to get as much of the Canal as I can this time.

HAL offers an excursion that sounds similar to what I did before, and if I'd been through the canal already, I'd do it. That excursion ranks as one of the top 5 I've done (27 cruises, all Bahamas/Caribbean except my most recent in the Med). It was really wonderful.

I actually think that if I felt this was the only time I'd have the opportunity, I'd do the excursion. That way, I'd get the locks and the scenery and the Indian village. That would be a great day, imo.

If this is your goal then you should consider the shorex that takes you to the Pacific side for the passage through those two locks and through Gaillard Cut. Staying on for the return trip through Gatun Locks is interesting, but it is ground already covered. The round trip through Gatun Locks only provides you with seeing 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal. The excursion through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut provide a lot more to feast your eyes on... sail under two very striking bridges, transit the Gaillard Cut where the bulk of the excavation for the Canal took place and is still taking place. Get a great view of Panama City's skyline, quite spectacular.

One other plus in taking this particular excursion... when you experience going through Gatun Locks on your Panamax ship, sometimes the ship can overwhelm the locks with it filling up so much of the chamber. As a result you can almost seem a bit removed from the experience of being raised 85'. On the other hand locking through the Pacific Locks on the smaller vessel gives you a completely different feel for the process. It is a wonderful opportunity to see the Canal from two different perspectives.

I completely agree. We took the tour that goes to the Pacific side. Seeing the canal and the locks from a smaller ship was, to me, far more interesting than would it would have been had we just stayed on the ship have been. You really get to see the Canal by going all the way through.

We'll be doing a partial canal trip in Oct on the Zuiderdam & will be staying aboard..

We've been all the way through several times on two different cruise lines & each time have stayed aboard.. Our first trip was on the Norwegian Majesty in 1999..Our Captain was determined to be one of the first ships through the canal & we were.. My Friend & I were out on the Rail by 5:a.m, while our DH's were still sleeping.. It rained, as usual, but she & I refused to go inside..Our DH's passed our rainjackets through the crowd to us..

Our travel companions this trip have never been through the canal & I'm anxious to see their reaction.. We are always awed by the canal.. I'm also looking forward to seeing the new completed canal which will take the larger Panamax ships..

Since it rains a lot we'll be prepared..LOL

I HIGHLY recommend doing this excursion. Seeing the canal from the deck of a small boat is a completely different experience than seeing it from the deck of a cruise ship. In fact, we were so close to the side of the canal that I have a photo of me touching it!

When we did our partial Panama Canal cruise, I knew that I had to "complete" the journey by going through the remainder of the locks and it was so worth it! Not only did we learn about the canal from our guides on the bus and the feet, but we also learned a lot about the country and people of Panama. It may be a long and hot day, but it is an EXCELLENT day.

We stayed ON the ship on our 10 day Sunfarer for both ways into and return thru the canal. It was a great day and we got so many pictures from different angles and different levels on the ship. If we were to do it again I would still STAY ON.....we enjoyed it a lot.

Below is a short video of our Panama Canal cruise. We really enjoyed Costa Rica the most I think. Also enjoyed the days they have on the ship, outside the Lido decks, BBQ is so delicious and fun!!

Have an awesome time !!!!!!!!!!!

VacationingCharlene: Hope you see this post as I have a few questions for you. We are scheduled for 11/30/16 11 day PC Sunfarer. Thanks for the video it helped. We are planning to stay on board for partial transit and visit various points on board to view the transit. Some time on SS balcony, time up top and also on forward Promenade when that is open.

One ? I see mention that transit begins early while still dark I believe? About what time would that be. I am early riser which is good and love to sit on Veranda with coffee early morning so this would be great for me.

Another? You said Costa Rica was your favorite port. Can I ask why? Still trying to decide if we should take Tortugero Canal excursion. How long did bus take from port to canal? Which tour company did you use? Was it thru HAL or independent? Have been looking at Ports of Call threads re CR but just wanted your opinion if you don't mind.

Hope you see this and would like to hear your answers or from any others who have done this cruise. Thanks a bunch.

Jane

I have done three complete Panama cruises and one partial.

On the partial passage we took the small boat that takes you through to the Pacific and then returns you to Colon by bus.

While we loved it and found it worthwhile, I have one word of caution. I neglected to take periodic advantage of the air conditioning provided in one enclosed area and paid the price the next day when I was sick in bed with a migraine and missed a port day.

That was our first experience with Panama and on subsequent cruises I have paid attention to getting relief from the heat now and then.

VacationingCharlene: Hope you see this post as I have a few questions for you. We are scheduled for 11/30/16 11 day PC Sunfarer. Thanks for the video it helped. We are planning to stay on board for partial transit and visit various points on board to view the transit. Some time on SS balcony, time up top and also on forward Promenade when that is open.

One ? I see mention that transit begins early while still dark I believe? About what time would that be. I am early riser which is good and love to sit on Veranda with coffee early morning so this would be great for me.

Another? You said Costa Rica was your favorite port. Can I ask why? Still trying to decide if we should take Tortugero Canal excursion. How long did bus take from port to canal? Which tour company did you use? Was it thru HAL or independent? Have been looking at Ports of Call threads re CR but just wanted your opinion if you don't mind.

Hope you see this and would like to hear your answers or from any others who have done this cruise. Thanks a bunch.

Jane

Good Morning Jane from sunny and hot Southern California:D

I too am glad I saw this post. Being an early riser is always a good thing to be able to see things in a calm and quiet atmosphere. If I recall you start to enter Gatun Lake area around 6am as they pick up the pilot and then we didn't actually enter Southbound Locks until around 8:30 but does depend on how many ships are waiting in line to enter. Be sure to walk around and see all perspectives of the locks from different levels etc. I was actually able to find a spot where I could actually touch the wall of the Locks since you are that tight. We thought it was so amazing when the bridge was open for cars, school buses to go ACROSS the locks .......very interesting!

We had a great day in Costa Rica with a private excursion with Syl Travel, Edgard Masco for the City tour, Tortuguero Canals and banana plantation. There were four of us in our own vehicle for only $55 per person for about 4 hours I believe. It was a bargain and great day. JOEL the guide was so great!! Finished with a beer at a beautiful private beach by El Faro Restaurant. Syltravel Day Tours check it out on TripAdvisor

We also enjoyed Holland America's "Curacao County Drive" for $50 for 3 1/2 hours to see the beautiful Boka Tabla, National Park and fun seeing the Tula Museum. Interesting. Be sure to take the easy walk over to the Queen Emma Pontoon Bridge but watch your timing for this or you COULD get stuck on the other side of the ship when you need to be ON the ship...:eek:

In Half Moon Cay (key) we were very happy we had reserved a clam shell on the beach for $20. It is nice to be able to get out of the sun or direct light at times and also for hiding your stuff while you are in the water. Very good investment and they do book up quickly I think. Nice beach and be sure to go in the water and see the fish right there in the shallow part....so cool!!

One at sea day, I believe, we had the BEST BBQ lunch on deck that was so good!!! Be sure not to miss that.

Have an awesome time and enjoy your cruise :p