alcohol

Kelsey12

Were not big drinkers, so we have never brough back alcohol. We have been ask by a friend to bring back two different kinds of rum, and Gray Goose vodka. We leave tomorrow for our caribbean cruise. Can anyone give us some advice on how much we can bring back into Ft Lauderdale. After cruise we drive back home. Thanks

Cheryl

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml

I am curious as to why they would want you to bring back Grey Goose, as you can find that anywhere they sell alcohol. Also, is this some special type of rum they can't get here, or online?

It's a hassle to bring back bottles.

I wondered about that, too. I'm just back from Sam's Club and they have it there.

:)

The OP is driving home so no issues with flying.

Do you know the prices and sizes of the booze at home? Sometimes it is around the same price and not worth schlepping back.

Check the prices onboard. Usually there will be specials onboard. Also if you find a better price onshore, take a pix and usually the ship will pricematch. Ask onboard.

You might have to pay a duty if you go over your allowance. Declare everything. Most times you are waived through and no duty is charged because of the time it takes to do up the paperwork etc. Duty is around $3 a bottle for regular priced bottles.

If you are visiting the USVI there are different (more) allowances depending on what you buy.

Everyone over 21 is allowed to bring back 1 litre of alcoholic beverage (for arrivals from American Samoa, Guam and U.S. Virgin Islands, 5 litre not more than 1 litre of which may be acquired elsewhere than on these islands).

http://www.taxfreetravel.com/US%20Duty%20Free%20Allowances%20and%20Exemptions%20

You've gotten good information on the amount of alcohol you can bring back so I won't comment on that.

I just want to mention to carefully think through how you will get it back on the plane. You cannot take it onto the plane so you will need to check it in so be sure it is wrapped very well as there is the risk if it breaks that it will get all over what is in your luggage.

Keith

You've gotten good information on the amount of alcohol you can bring back so I won't comment on that.

I just want to mention to carefully think through how you will get it back on the plane. You cannot take it onto the plane so you will need to check it in so be sure it is wrapped very well as there is the risk if it breaks that it will get all over what is in your luggage.

Keith

They are driving per the original post. No airline.

Customs allows one litre per person, however, they usually will wave you through if you have 3 or 4.

I too missed the part about driving.

Again, see how much the specific stuff being requested costs locally. Then see how much it will cost on the ship, and in ports. Try to compare the quantity as well as the cost. I have yet to see a deal good enough to make it worth it to bring it home. I even looked at the one cruise I did drive to, and still couldn't justify it.

Archived