Pullmantur monarch baltic cruise

rein53

Thinking seriously about taking this in aug or sept. Anyone done it? Anyone intersted in getting an english speaking group together? Do you need a visa? also are the ship excursions in english, or do we need to find private excursions? Also thinking about doing a med. cruise or norway cruise before or after, if anyone is interested.

I am trying to talk my family into doing the Baltic cruise in September along with a land tour of Europe but they are not as keen as I am. The cruise looks like a great value (under $500 all inclusive for 7 days) and I like the fact they spend 2 days in Stockholm and St. Petersburg. My understanding is you do not need a visa except for St. Petersburg where there is an exemption if you do an organized tour.

I am thinking of doing baltic on sept 3, then northern europe on sept 10. got price of 668 for baltic, and 639 for n. europe.. my air from cleveland or pittsburgh is about 1300. All I need now is to find some one to travel, or find out what a single will cost.

If you look at the Pullmantur UK site, it looks like the single supplement is 50% or less of the regular price. For example, $646 inside pp and $879 for lowest single rate on Baltic cruise. Looks like it might be worth it since the rooms are small. Did you get rates direct from Pullmantur or are you using a TA? The lower rates I saw were on one of the big online cruise sites. I have not called them to verify though.

My husband and I are considering the Sept. 3rd sailing. Such a great deal, but will still need to work out a couple of details. If so, we would love to find someone to go together and arrange an english speaking tour of St. Petersburg. I have read that all of the Pulmantur excursions are in Spanish.

• 3 weeks later...
I am trying to talk my family into doing the Baltic cruise in September along with a land tour of Europe but they are not as keen as I am. The cruise looks like a great value (under $500 all inclusive for 7 days) and I like the fact they spend 2 days in Stockholm and St. Petersburg. My understanding is you do not need a visa except for St. Petersburg where there is an exemption if you do an organized tour.

IF you visit Russia on your own you will need a visa. If you visit Russia with a cruise and DO NOT take a ship's excursion, you will not need a visa. If you visit Russia with a cruise and take an excursion NOT under the ship's aegis, you will need a visa. If you visit Russia with a cruise and take an excursion under the ship's aegis, you will not need a visa.

I used vacations to go site. called them, but only got rates for a double thinking my sister would go with me, but she is unable. will call vtg tomorrow for single rates.

The single rate is twice the per person rate plus only one set of port fees and taxes.

Last time I looked the pp rate was 150 USD, so the singles costs would be about 420 USD TOTAL.

Hello!

My husband and I booked the Sept. 3 cruise today. We too are looking for a private or small group excursion in St. Petersburg. So glad to see that there will be other English speakers onboard.

Have a great day!

Michelle

• 2 months later...
Hello!

My husband and I booked the Sept. 3 cruise today. We too are looking for a private or small group excursion in St. Petersburg. So glad to see that there will be other English speakers onboard.

Have a great day!

Michelle

Hello,

My husband and i booked this cruise back to back for 2 weeks. There are not many english speaking people on the ship. hope to meet on the ship.

Thinking seriously about taking this in aug or sept. Anyone done it? Anyone intersted in getting an english speaking group together? Do you need a visa? also are the ship excursions in english, or do we need to find private excursions? Also thinking about doing a med. cruise or norway cruise before or after, if anyone is interested.

Hello,

This will be my first spanish cruise it will different for sure. We took 2 weeks back to back in sept. I also decided to book my excursion with the ship in st-peter.... for the 2 days. It was cheaper i don't know if it is english but we like to take pictures anyway. Hope there is a little bit of english or french around.

My husband and I did this trip last year -- my first cruise -- and it was fun. We had no info on how this would go for non-Spanish speakers, so I thought I'd reply to this thread. The ship assigned a host for the "international passengers" which was basically anyone not from Spain. She did a little orientation meeting and encouraged us to all sign up for the 2 day St. Petersburg tour offered by the ship, saying we would get an English speaking guide if we had enough. Luckily, that worked out and it was a really good way to see the city in such a short time.

It was also a good way to meet most of the others in our tiny group. There were 5 Americans, probably 7 or 8 Aussies, 8 or 10 Japanese, a couple from Bulgaria, and a group of 4 from Denmark. A group of 3 Spaniards joined us because they liked speaking English and getting away from the hoards!

They put us all in the same area at dinner (we were urged to do the first seating because the 2nd is very popular/crowded). The Spaniards were fun to people-watch, because they definitely know how to have a good time, and will stay up very late to do it. I thought the food was pretty good, but my husband wasn't so impressed. The Aussies we sat with were not shy about sending things back and requesting extra veggies and such, so I think if you can overcome the language barrier you can get what you want.

We sprung for a balcony cabin and I'm so glad we did. The scenery was at times gorgeous, and always interesting. We didn't do other shore excursions besides in Russia, and enjoyed taking long walks or public transit. All in all, I'm very glad we did the trip, even though it was weirdly like being marooned in a place where nobody can talk to you!