Swan lake ballet

toonhibby

Yes indeed, toonhibby. And I thought it was wonderful.

It was one of the excursions offered on the Marco Polo Baltic cruise I did in May last year. The theatre was quite small (for around 400) and we were actually sitting on real chairs, not bench rows. With the number of buses outside, and the number of ships in port, I do think it was a tourist special venue. But it certainly didn't detract from the performance. I had to pinch myself to believe that I was watching my fave Russian ballet, being performed by Russian dancers, with music by a Russian orchestra, in a Russian theatre, in Tchaikovsky's home town, in Russia!!! And, of course, with the Russian ending...

So, if you like ballet, in particular Swan Lake, I can highly recommend it.

Regards

Marilyn.

Has anyone been to the Swan lake ballet in St Petersburg if so any thoughts please.

Yes, twice on the same visit, although it was not planned that way. We were in St. Petersburg for five nights at the beginning of a river cruise to Moscow. Beforehand, we had bought tickets on-line for Swan Lake at the famous Mariinsky Theatre (formerly the Kirov). They were excellent seats and not expensive. On arrival on board, we found that the "concert or ballet evening" the night before our Mariinsky performance turned out to be a performance of Swan Lake at the Hermitage Theatre.

As the ship's excursion was included in the fare, and the Hermitage Theatre is a famous historic venue, we went. The performance was fine, but it was clearly a tourist event with two performances each evening and a limited orchestra and corps de ballet. The contrast could not have been greater with the Mariinsky the next evening, and we are glad we saw the Hermitage performance first. Now the Mariinsky rivals the Bolshoi for the best ballet company in the world, so it is a bit unfair to compare the two. Nonetheless it was a marvellous performance and one I will remember and cherish. I saw the Mariinsky again the next year when they came to my home city and it confirmed my opinion of their excellence.

So if there is a ship's excursion to see Swan Lake in St. Petersburg, take it and you will likely not be disappointed. But if you have any opportunity to see the Mariinsky, in whatever work, go. You will be seeing one of the best companies in the world in their historic home.

To ensure seeing the best professional company, I would make my own arrangements. Sadly the Mariinsky season was over and the Bolshoi theatre was being renovated when we were in Russia in 2008.

Our (Viking river) cruise included a visit to a "classical ballet theatre" in St Petersburg. It was a young company in an old but far from magnificent theatre. "Charming", "showing a lot of promise" were the kindest verdicts.