On Ruby, PV, Mazatlan and Cabo .. what do to

NW Watty

Looking for ideas in my three stops in November. Truly want to relax .. which of the three ports are best for:

• Beach - Not traveling with children
  • Historical site
  • Sailboat excursion

Thanks for your help, this site is the best.

All have historical things of interest, if you look for them.

Cabo has a nice '30 minute' museum that has a nice overview of the history. On the Plaza with the church.

Mazatlan has a beautiful church with a very interesting history (the answer is in the windows) across from the mercado.

PV's area around the church is nice.

All have tourist beaches, some have AI's.

Cabo for a boating excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

PV has a nice walkable area on the Malecon, the boulevard along the bay, filled with shops and restaurants and a famous church.

Not too far from the church is a small Maritime Museum.

A little more south is old town and Playa Los Muertos, a beach again with some very nice restaurants.

Edited by Ine

Looking for ideas in my three stops in November. Truly want to relax .. which of the three ports are best for:

• Beach - Not traveling with children
  • Historical site
  • Sailboat excursion

Thanks for your help, this site is the best.

The three ports is each a bit different in character...

Mazatlán is, by far, the biggest city...a major port...The beaches tend to be a bit crowded unless you go out to one of the islands. We once did a ocean kayak tour there that also had swimming time and was done at Deer Island--which was nice and quiet...a boat took us back across and dropped us on the beach in the Golden Zone--and that was crowded...The Cathedral has a great history (I'll let you discover the stained glass windows on your own). There is also the Pacifico Brewery and the Cliff Divers...There are some historic villages in the mountains outside of Mazatlan--including Concordia and Copala...

Puerto Vallarta is smaller...and quainter...It has old cobblestone streets and a great promenade--The Malecon--along the waterfront. It is also in the only province where distillers can legally call their product "Tequila" (Tequila is actually a small town in the mountains between Puerto Vallarta and Guadlajara). Tequila factories make for an interesting visit.

Cabo is the newest town-- a fairly modern city. It has some very nice beaches both in and outside of town--some hard to get to. Lovers' Beach is the famous two-sided beach near Los Arcos--the grand rock formations...Boat rides in Cabo are among the most scenic.

Shopping/walking around is nicest in PV but least expensive in Mazatlán...most expensive is Cabo...

Have fun...

My only dispute with Bruin Steve's post is calling Cabo a city. It's really a small town, yes, there is construction going on, but not like the other two. I can't go anywhere without running into someone I know.

November is some of the best weather in Cabo. The problem is if you are on Princess, you probably have a very short time in port, so you would have to choose between sailing and beach, which are both great. Google Cabo Sails which is very near to the tender pier for a sailing expedition.

I will agree with Bruin Steve that Cabo is one of the most expensive, because the Mexican government built it as a resort town. It has a beautiful walk around marina with some fantastic yachts to look at.

OK, I'm interested. Where is the question?

The windows aren't the typical church iconography you'd expect. They will have you asking why and how?

Edited by SadieN

Last year with our DS, DDIL and DGS we went to the beach twice.

In Mazatlan it is easy to go to the beach on Stone Island: walk out of the port to the street. Turn left and walk to the end of the street. Straight ahead is a dirt driveway/parking lot that leads to the ferry across to Stone Island. Purchase tickets at the booth. Once you get to the other side go straight ahead, across the street and up the slight hill. Once over the hill you'll see the most beautiful broad beach. There are quite a few establishments where, for the cost of drinks and/or a little food, you can sit in the shade and relax between dips in the ocean.

In Puerto Vallarta, it might be a little more expensive, but it is very easy to get to the beach: After getting off the ship walk past the "plaza" area in the port with the bar/restaurant and shops. (Rather than going toward the left to the main gates that the taxis go in and out of, stay more to the right where there is a pedestrian gate.) Walk straight ahead on that street and on your right you will find a series of hotels that will let you purchase day passes that let you use their beach chairs, restrooms, pools, etc. We tried the nearest hotel, Crown Paradise Hotel, but it was a major holiday and their passes were all sold out. We ended up at the Hilton Hotel farther down the street. We found the beach to be more "pebble-y", so water shoes might be recommended.

I agree with the suggestion of Cabo Sails, they are amazing, we have used them twice for sunset sails and rented the whole boat for us just ourselves (4 of us and then 10 of us). They made us snacks and we had all you could drink as well (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks). We went where ever we wanted to go, went by the arch, they took photos for us, and let us drive the boat if we wanted. Very relaxing.

We are considering using them again when we sail the Ruby in November as well, but might just go to the beach instead since we aren't there for very long and just went out with Cabo sails last November with the same group that is going on the cruise with us.

• 4 weeks later...

Will there be enough time for sailing? Ruby stays from 7am-2pm.

I agree with the suggestion of Cabo Sails, they are amazing, we have used them twice for sunset sails and rented the whole boat for us just ourselves (4 of us and then 10 of us). They made us snacks and we had all you could drink as well (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks). We went where ever we wanted to go, went by the arch, they took photos for us, and let us drive the boat if we wanted. Very relaxing.

We are considering using them again when we sail the Ruby in November as well, but might just go to the beach instead since we aren't there for very long and just went out with Cabo sails last November with the same group that is going on the cruise with us.