Are excursions worth it?

CaityMarie

I'm going on my first cruise with my boyfriends family in April 2017 on the Carnival Miracle. We will be porting in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. I'm wondering if purchasing a Shore Excursion is worth the time and money or whether making our own adventure in town is better. Thank you for your advice in advance!

For those particular ports, I think you could do an excursion with a local guide for much less money than the ship's excursion. Or, you could just plan something to do on your own.

You can get lots of ideas from reading and posting on the Ports of Call forum.

It just depends on what you want to do. Take a look at the excursions for your cruise. If nothing really interests you then by all means, do your own thing. If you see an excursion that interests you and it is one you probably couldn't do on your own, then do it.

Some excursions are simply not worth it. Often you see beach excursions. You can often just hop in a cab and go to the same beach for much less money. In Puerto Vallarta we have gone zip lining. I don't know how it is now but back then, the zip line company that the cruise line used would not take direct bookings from cruise line passengers. You had to book through the ship so if you wanted to that exact air line, with that company, through the ship was the only way. There were other aid lines companies though that might have taken direct bookings. I don't know, we were actually on a land trip when we did it and on the days there were ships in port there were no time slots for anyone else.

Then there is the whole debate about whether or not to book cruise line excursions or book independently through outside vendors. There are pros and cons to both. You often save money booking independently and it may be the same or almost identical excursion. By booking through the ship though, if something happens and the excursion runs late, the ship will wait. They won't wait for late passengers who booked independently though. I do it both ways. It kind of depends on how far from the ship the excursion goes and how close to sailing it gets back. I prefer to book through the cruise line if the excursion is long and is going to get back right before sailing time. I might book independently if the tour is scheduled to get back to the ship WELL before sailing time.

I will book a ships excursion if it is going a good distance from the ship. I generally so about half ship excursions and half private, or none at all if I just want to wander through a port I have been to often. There are both pros and cons to excursions; they tend to have more people, but the ship will wait if it runs long. They may be more expensive, but Carnival has a price match guarantee. Have a great time on your cruise.

-First time cruiser?

-Never been to these destinations?

-Something that you specifically want to do but you're experiencing a bit of fear of the unknown?

-Are you going somewhere that's far from the port and are concerned about making it back to the port in time?

If yes, then by all means book a shore excursion.

We will not book a shore excursion if:

-We've been to a particular port before and are very familiar with it.

- If we've done considerable research and are confident that what we want to do we can accomplish without an excursion.

-If what we are interested in seeing is close to the port or easy to get to, and we'll have plenty of time to return to the port.

-If there's nothing in particular that we are dying to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

We always book our excursions with Carnival. Life happens, cars and buses break down, people get hurt. I know with a ship excursion the ship knows where I am and will wait for the excursion to return. If I am on my own that is not the case.

That being said, PV has some of the very best excursions. Rhythm of the Night, Pirate Ship, Zip line were just a few of our favorites.

I have found overall that I've always fared better price and excursion wise by booking on my own unless the excursion I am interested in is exclusively contracted out to the cruiseline. I just returned from a Northern Europe cruise and booked everything locally and found that the ship was offering the identical excursion with the same company at a much steeper price.

I will book a ships excursion if it is going a good distance from the ship. I generally so about half ship excursions and half private, or none at all if I just want to wander through a port I have been to often. There are both pros and cons to excursions; they tend to have more people, but the ship will wait if it runs long. They may be more expensive, but Carnival has a price match guarantee. Have a great time on your cruise.

I normally book through independent companies. Much, much cheaper. I don't want to jinx myself but I have never had a problem. I am doing a Carnival excursion for my next trip to Belize as it is an hour boat ride to our tour and I didn't want to chance it. I have done independent excursions in Belize that had a 2 hour drive to get to....but I just don't want to get stuck on an island (or do I...lol) I am very comfortable booking independent..16 cruises and counting.

I've done excursions from the cruise company as well as a private tour. I've also done research of the port on my own found interesting sights and DH and I did our own tour. You can often visit the cities tourists page and get brochures sent to you. All depends on your comfort level as long as you have fun.

Rarely are excursions needed...but if you want a good DIY day, then do your research! Get a guidebook...find out about where you're going and what there is! Guidebooks are invaluable! We almost never do any excursions, but we do our research! Libraries have guidebooks, so it will cost nothing!

I've done excursions from the cruise company as well as a private tour. I've also done research of the port on my own found interesting sights and DH and I did our own tour. You can often visit the cities tourists page and get brochures sent to you. All depends on your comfort level as long as you have fun.

That's an awesome idea. I will check out the tourist pages and see if I can get some brochures.

Caity

I'm going on my first cruise with my boyfriends family in April 2017 on the Carnival Miracle. We will be porting in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. I'm wondering if purchasing a Shore Excursion is worth the time and money or whether making our own adventure in town is better. Thank you for your advice in advance!

Truthfully it all depends on what you'd like to do, what your interests are and how long you're in port (an ability habler y comprender helps as well). Searching the forums here and over on Trip Advisor are also recommended. Mazatlan and PV are great for exploring on your own. In Mazatlan there are loads of (expat) tourist information guides around and it's a pleasant walk - following the blue line in the road(!) - from the cruise terminal to the historic downtown (disclaimer: Mazatlan is my favourite Mexican Riviera PoC). For PV there are always buses from Walmart to El Centro or just grab a cab.

Truthfully it all depends on what you'd like to do, what your interests are and how long you're in port (an ability habler y comprender helps as well). Searching the forums here and over on Trip Advisor are also recommended. Mazatlan and PV are great for exploring on your own. In Mazatlan there are loads of (expat) tourist information guides around and it's a pleasant walk - following the blue line in the road(!) - from the cruise terminal to the historic downtown (disclaimer: Mazatlan is my favourite Mexican Riviera PoC). For PV there are always buses from Walmart to El Centro or just grab a cab.

My cousin went in her honeymoon to PV, and told us to never take a cab there, it was the scariest thing in the world to her. Are cabs safe in all three ports?

Caity

My cousin went in her honeymoon to PV, and told us to never take a cab there, it was the scariest thing in the world to her. Are cabs safe in all three ports?

Caity

I've never taken a cab in either Cabo (apparently given that the area is a bit of a Gringo magnet :D they're a bit steep by Mexican standards) or Mazatlan (I use Shanks Pony), but - depending upon your definition of 'safe' - they're fine. There might be a huge crack running the length of the windshield, racing slicks for tyres (tires) and shot suspension - but tbh it is just like grabbing a cab in any other Mexican city. For PV if you've been put off by taxis, just take a bus in PV to Downtown.

For the Aquarium I would definitely consider taking a cab - as you leave the cruise terminal you'll be inundated by local hawkers but my recommendation would be to seek out one of the expat tourist guides if you're still a bit wary as they should put you right. Similarly for Cabo I'd probably grab a cab. I'm sure that if you asked at the Glass Factory they'd order you a taxi for the ride back to the port.

I'd also take a look at Trip Advisor for both ports - generally a wealth of advice.

Enjoy!

I've never taken a cab in either Cabo (apparently given that the area is a bit of a Gringo magnet :D they're a bit steep by Mexican standards) or Mazatlan (I use Shanks Pony), but - depending upon your definition of 'safe' - they're fine. There might be a huge crack running the length of the windshield, racing slicks for tyres (tires) and shot suspension - but tbh it is just like grabbing a cab in any other Mexican city. For PV if you've been put off by taxis, just take a bus in PV to Downtown.

For the Aquarium I would definitely consider taking a cab - as you leave the cruise terminal you'll be inundated by local hawkers but my recommendation would be to seek out one of the expat tourist guides if you're still a bit wary as they should put you right. Similarly for Cabo I'd probably grab a cab. I'm sure that if you asked at the Glass Factory they'd order you a taxi for the ride back to the port.

I'd also take a look at Trip Advisor for both ports - generally a wealth of advice.

Enjoy!

I've just discovered Trip Advisor. It's awesome.

Caity

Caity

Safe as anywhere else. Not as scary as our Manhattan taxi ride.

Caity

Amazing, since I never had bad experiences with cabs in Puerto Vallarta and other destinations. Yes some of them are old, although more and more new cabs are seen onm the street.

Always make your price before entering a cab. You will be fine.

However be aware there is a difference between cabs and private guides offering their service in port. They offer tours, they are certified and have decent vehicles.

Edited by Ine

Trip Advisor is the best. We use it for excursions and everyday life. If you type in where you are going, it will give you the top rated excursions in the port you are visiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been looking at Trip Advisor. It's so cool. Thanks for the tip!

Caity

Caity

We have lived in PV for the past 10 winters (2 months a year) and call PV our winter "home." DW and I routinely use both taxis and buses without a care in the world...and cannot even imagine why anyone would think a taxi is "the scariest thing in the world." Most of the taxi drivers are very friendly and many even speak some English. The taxi situation is made a little complicated because the taxis that pick-up right at the port (they are usually white or cream colored) are what some of us call "Federal" taxis that are only permitted to pick-up in Federal zones (the port and the airport). Because these taxis are not permitted to pick up outside these very restricted areas....they are permitted to charge higher fares. And by the way, if you want to pay in US Dollars....negotiate the price in US Dollars...using the approximate equivalent price. So if a fare should be 80 Pesos perhaps you would offer $5. But again, do this before you get in the taxi..and understand that the driver is often not going to give you the best exchange rate.

Most of the PV taxis you see outside the port are generally yellow taxis and are clearly identified. These taxis do not have meters and are supposed to charge fares based on established zones (the fares are set by law). However, like taxis in most of the world, some of the drivers will try to take advantage of naive cruise ship passengers (and other visitors) and charge a slightly higher fare. So having some idea of the proper fares (you can find this online) does help. Before you get in a taxi tell the driver where you want to go (i.e. "Centro," "Old Town" etc) and ask "how much?" If going from the port to Centro and he says "150 Pesos" you just laugh and say "No...80 Pesos." My point is that you should agree on the fare before you get in the taxi. But there is nothing scary about any of this...and its all done with a smile. As to how they drive....well...some can be a bit scary :). On the other hand, if you look at the yellow taxis in PV you will seldom see any with even a scratch! These guys are darn good drivers....if not a bit fast.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner