My day in Puerto Vallarta: city bus to Malecon

BigJon

Originally Posted by bragstarr View Post

My cruise ship in February will be porting overnight in PV, and the first night we have an excursion that does not start until 5:30 PM, so I figured in the morning we'd try to figure out how to get down to the Malecon. This has all been extremely helpful and I'm bookmarking and saving it. Bus shouldn't scare us too much....may not be as new and fancy as the ones in Manhattan, but as a New Yorker, we're used to wild rides!

A few of us will be on that cruise with you, so you can just follow the old ugly guys with our elderly beautiful wives and we will get you there !!!!

Oh please let me follow your entourage. We can be good groupies!

In PV last week for an overnight port call. We left the ship 7 ship time/ 8 PV time.

Even though the busses are labeled 'Centro' the one we took this time did a different route. Thankfully Sis had looked on google maps and had an idea where we ended up.

Bus had natural AC when moving :D.

Found an excellent mole' restaurant (El Mole' de Jovinta). Walked down the Malecon, which was hopping on a Tuesday night. Caught a taxi back for $8 ($4pp).

In PV last week for an overnight port call. We left the ship 7 ship time/ 8 PV time.

Even though the busses are labeled 'Centro' the one we took this time did a different route. Thankfully Sis had looked on google maps and had an idea where we ended up.

Bus had natural AC when moving :D.

Found an excellent mole' restaurant (El Mole' de Jovinta). Walked down the Malecon, which was hopping on a Tuesday night. Caught a taxi back for $8 ($4pp).

It's El Mole de Jovita (no 'n'). It's on Basillo Badillo. The bus we took turned up toward the church in the Romantic zone.

• 11 months later...

Just got back from my 2nd trip to Puerto Vallarta, and me and my wife took the bus again to the Malecon. We both rode downtown for only a $1

If you haven't taken the bus, and you're going to the start of the Malecon, just look for the Hotel Rosita on your right, and get off at that stop. Before we came back, we stopped at the Woolworth to pick up a couple of supplies, and the bus stop was just outside the entrance to Woolworth. While I was waiting on my wife (who was in Woolworth), I asked a local cabbie how much it would be for two people to go back to the cruise ship terminal, and he said $8, so the bus is a great deal. Just make sure the lady enters first, and the man will pay, and then quickly take a seat. No change is given in American coins. Bus dropped us off at Wal-Mart, directly in front of the cruise port.

(Below is a picture of the bus, directly in front of the cruise port)

s2vfid.jpg

(one of the bus stops in front of the port, looking South)

xdiam9.jpg

(in the window of the bus, look for Centro when going to the Malecon. Wal-Mart or Sam's when going back to the port)

25qu32t.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The closest will be Plaza Lazaro Cardenas. The square where many blue/white centro buses (also with the sign Olas Altas) more or less start their return journey. After passing the Rio Cuale bridge the bus makes a right, another right and you will see the square. (different for the tunel buses).

It is the green square in this map: http://vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

La Palapa is just south of the pier. Either walk down Olas Altas or the boardwalk.

Ine, we are friends of Tien and Bruno and last week saw your photo in his blog. I have read your many post on PV and would like your help.

We will be in PV in November and plan to go by taxi to the Vallarta Botanic Garden but to return to the port, we will return by bus. I believe that the El Tuito bus will stop at Carranza and Aquacade Sts. Does the Blue Walmart/Sams Club buses also stop there to return to the cruise terminal dock?

Or we need to cross the river to return?

Thank you.

paiagirl

Not Ine (she is my amigo) but we will jump in to give you a fast answer. Once you get off the bus (from the Botanical Gardens) you will need to walk west (towards the sea) about 2 blocks until you reach the corner of Insurgentes. Turn right (at the corner...onto Insurgentes) and walk 1 block until you cross Cardenas where you will see folks waiting along the sidewalk for buses (lots of buses come to this stop). You will soon spot your Blue bus to Walmart/Sams (7.5 Pesos).

We also warn folks that there are actually 2 Walmarts in PV....and you want to make sure to be on a bus that is going to the Walmart across from the port. One way to be sure is if it has Sam's on the windshield. Also, if the bus says "Liverpool" (that is the anchor store in the mall next to Sams/Walmart) that is also a good sign :). There are usually other "gringos" waiting at that bus stop (it might even be me) who are usually happy to help.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Not Ine (she is my amigo) but we will jump in to give you a fast answer. Once you get off the bus (from the Botanical Gardens) you will need to walk west (towards the sea) about 2 blocks until you reach the corner of Insurgentes. Turn right (at the corner...onto Insurgentes) and walk 1 block until you cross Cardenas where you will see folks waiting along the sidewalk for buses (lots of buses come to this stop). You will soon spot your Blue bus to Walmart/Sams (7.5 Pesos).

We also warn folks that there are actually 2 Walmarts in PV....and you want to make sure to be on a bus that is going to the Walmart across from the port. One way to be sure is if it has Sam's on the windshield. Also, if the bus says "Liverpool" (that is the anchor store in the mall next to Sams/Walmart) that is also a good sign :). There are usually other "gringos" waiting at that bus stop (it might even be me) who are usually happy to help.

Hank

Thank you very much. Did you enjoy the Vallarta Botanical Garden?

paiagirl

Hank

Hank, another question. what if we should take the Centro bus to Old Town since our ship docks at 8 and the garden opens at 10 and walk over to Carranza/Aquacade for the El Tuito bus? Would traveling by bus give us time to arrive for the 10 am opening? That was my main concern in planning to go by Taxi. Thank you.

Paiagirl

Hank, another question. what if we should take the Centro bus to Old Town since our ship docks at 8 and the garden opens at 10 and walk over to Carranza/Aquacade for the El Tuito bus? Would traveling by bus give us time to arrive for the 10 am opening? That was my main concern in planning to go by Taxi. Thank you.

Paiagirl

Where is Ine when we need her :). But seriously, regarding your other question about the Botanical Gardens,,,,we have not been there in about 5 years. But two things remain fixed in our memory which is 1. you might want to use mosquito repellent and 2. We had a very nice lunch at their cafe/restaurant.

As to the buses, assuming you can get off your ship on time...then you could use the buses to get to the Gardens...and likely be there by 10. But keep in mind that you might have a wait of 15-20 min for the bus that goes out to the Botanical Garden. But you would generally not have to wait more then 3 min to get a bus from outside the port to Centro. Take the Centro Bus all the way through Centro and over the bridge (which takes you into Old Town/Romantic Zone/Southside (all terms for the same place). You can then hop off the bus and walk to the stop for the other bus....and walking through our old town area is always fun (we live about 2 blocks from the bus stop). I am also thinking that the stop where you get the bus to the gardens....is located right along Carranza.

We always preach "don't be shy" when in PV. Never hesitate to ask other folks about exactly where to wait for the bus....and always ask the driver (as you board) if he is going to your destination. The driver may not speak much English. but he will understand "Botanical Garden??"

Just a note about Ine....that she is a lovely lady and we look forward to seeing her (and her husband) this winter. For those that may not be aware, we think Ine is the definitive destination expert when it comes to PV.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Sorry Paiagirl and Hank, I somehow missed al those postings.....

But Hank is an excellent replacement of course.

He has given good directions as needed. The blue/white Bus from the cruiseterminal to centro might take up to 30 minutes depending stops and traffic.

The Tuito bus (donot take the one to Mismaloya) to the botanical garden might be another 45 minutes. Sit on the right side for the best views during this ride.

(Since we drive our car in PVR bustimes might not be correct...)

This site I stated before give you also a good idea of the busstops you need.

We have been to the botanical garden a few times, we love it. Last winter they added a special section with orchids. As Hank mentioned bring mosquito repellent or buy it at the entrance.

Maybe also a towel if you intend to swim in (the cold...) river

The restaurant is a great place, awesome views and good food.

We hope to be back in Vallarta mid January for our winterstay (and will certainly meet Hank and Kathy again) as before that we have cruises planned.

Indeed I have seen Tien and Bruno recently at Amsterdam airport, nice people who also love to cruise.

Enjoy your time in PVR and have a great cruise!

Where is Ine when we need her :). But seriously, regarding your other question about the Botanical Gardens,,,,we have not been there in about 5 years. But two things remain fixed in our memory which is 1. you might want to use mosquito repellent and 2. We had a very nice lunch at their cafe/restaurant.

As to the buses, assuming you can get off your ship on time...then you could use the buses to get to the Gardens...and likely be there by 10. But keep in mind that you might have a wait of 15-20 min for the bus that goes out to the Botanical Garden. But you would generally not have to wait more then 3 min to get a bus from outside the port to Centro. Take the Centro Bus all the way through Centro and over the bridge (which takes you into Old Town/Romantic Zone/Southside (all terms for the same place). You can then hop off the bus and walk to the stop for the other bus....and walking through our old town area is always fun (we live about 2 blocks from the bus stop). I am also thinking that the stop where you get the bus to the gardens....is located right along Carranza.

We always preach "don't be shy" when in PV. Never hesitate to ask other folks about exactly where to wait for the bus....and always ask the driver (as you board) if he is going to your destination. The driver may not speak much English. but he will understand "Botanical Garden??"

Just a note about Ine....that she is a lovely lady and we look forward to seeing her (and her husband) this winter. For those that may not be aware, we think Ine is the definitive destination expert when it comes to PV.

Hank

Thank you very much.

Sorry Paiagirl and Hank, I somehow missed al those postings.....

But Hank is an excellent replacement of course.

He has given good directions as needed. The blue/white Bus from the cruiseterminal to centro might take up to 30 minutes depending stops and traffic.

The Tuito bus (donot take the one to Mismaloya) to the botanical garden might be another 45 minutes. Sit on the right side for the best views during this ride.

(Since we drive our car in PVR bustimes might not be correct...)

This site I stated before give you also a good idea of the busstops you need.

We have been to the botanical garden a few times, we love it. Last winter they added a special section with orchids. As Hank mentioned bring mosquito repellent or buy it at the entrance.

Maybe also a towel if you intend to swim in (the cold...) river

The restaurant is a great place, awesome views and good food.

We hope to be back in Vallarta mid January for our winterstay (and will certainly meet Hank and Kathy again) as before that we have cruises planned.

Indeed I have seen Tien and Bruno recently at Amsterdam airport, nice people who also love to cruise.

Enjoy your time in PVR and have a great cruise!

Thank you very much.

I am the one that made a comment on the HAL photo, if that was T. on the balcony.

paiagirl