La Paz and Loreto

lovevacadays

My friends and I will be celebrating our 60th birthdays on a cruise to Mexico. Been to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo but never to La Paz and Loreto which are ports on our cruise.

We have lots of time to plan but thought I would see what people recommend in these ports in terms of things to do and places to eat.

We've been to both ports a few times. We like to eat at a more local restaurant, on rare occasion we will eat in tourist places (those catering to the American Tourist. Sometimes I'll travel with DH, other times with Mom and Sis. Never had an issue in any Mexican port.

La Paz

La Paz is the capital of Baja California Sur. Its a real Mexican city, not a tourist city. Need to take a shuttle into town. We walk a few block up from the bus station (where you'll be dropped off) to the Church and Plaza. Facing the Church is a nice '10 minute' museum with two large gallery rooms. When we were there one gallery held 'Alien Creches' (yes, it was as odd as it sounds) and the other held gorgeous embroidered tapestries (the backs were as beautiful as the fronts).

Also on the plaza is a really good ice cream shop. We eat at the food court in the Mercado. The few times we've been here, Mom, Sis and I have been the only Gringos in the place. Three entrees, three large parfait glasses of OJ, just about 200 pesos ($12) + tip. In the Mercado I bought a pair of sandals.

To the south of the bus station is another good ice cream shop. Look for the sidewalk tree covered in polka-dots.

A good overview tour is the one that goes to the weaver's, ceramics and one other craft place (glass?)

Loreto

Loreto is a tender port. It is built as a tourist town with lots of American ex-pats. Easy, flat 10 minute walk to the Church and Plaza. The Plaza is unusual in that it's long, not square.

Many will recommend Orlando's, a very good American style Mexican restaurant. Next door is a Michoacana (another ice cream store) We enjoyed El Rey Del Taco for tacos.

Bonus- its the top of the range for the Blue Footed Booby. We saw a few at the statue near the tender dock.

• 1 month later...

Most places will take American. Exchange rate might not be the best, but it's convenient. Ask what the exchange rate is. One cruise we figured out we overpaid a total of $10 by not using pesos.

Can walk into town in Loreto, free shuttle in La Paz.

Our meals for the three of us have been anywhere from US$15-US$45, depending on where we eat.