Horseback Ride in Mazatlan (Stone Island)

TiogaCruiser

Will be heading to the Mexican Riviera in a little over a week.

Does anyone have recent experience or advice on vendors for a horseback ride at Stone Island. This will be my first trip there and I want to see the beach and some of the coconut groves, and if there is a little town.

We arrive at 8:00a and my plan is to ride early in the morning, walk along the beach, maybe draw a little, then get a water taxi back to Mazatlán, and either take a pulmonia or walk to the Mercado.

Any thoughts/recommendations on the vendor?

Or on my "plan"

Thanks-

TC

hi!

we just did this on our thanksgiving week NCL Jewel cruise. My husband booked Maria's Happy Horses through email for our group of 4 adults/2 kids (both age 7). Communication during booking was excellent and several questions quickly responded to. When we got off the ship in Mazatlan the guide (I don't recall the woman's name unfortunately) was there holding a sign with our names on it. We were taken via open air taxi to the little boat a few mins away, quick boat ride, and then picked up by another taxi (I'm really using the term liberally here) which took us to the horses. The horses seemed to be in good health and well fed. The saddles and equipment were acceptable but not great. We then spent about an hour riding on the empty beach including some pretty good galloping which was really fun! The guide happily used our own cameras to snap pix of each person and group on their horses. They then dropped us at a beach eatery (Vince's maybe?) and we had an included beverage and complimentary chips/salsas. The guide asked us when we'd like to leave to return to the shp and she scheduled to meet us. We were able to leave our things there at the tables in the shade while our girls enjoyed playing in the waves for a couple hours. Others had lunch. Add'l food was tasty and inexpensive. When were done our guide returned and took us back taxi/boat/taxi and dropped us right at the port where we did a bit of shopping. All for $35 pp!

Great deal. Highly recommend.

Your experience with Maria's sounds nice. I'll contact her again to see if there are other options if I make my way over to SI early when we get to port (8:00a). The pick up she offered was late morning and I want to be back on the "mainland" by 12:30 ( to spend a couple hours at the market)

About how far was it from where you were left off by the water taxi to Maria's?

Edited by TiogaCruiser

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Mexico. Got to ride on SI. Maria got back to me and offered a 9:15 pick up from the dock if I got to SI on my own. She provided excellent instructions from a the dock. Round trip water taxi was ~$2.00. Ride ( ended up > an hour) was $25. The guide also accompanied me into the botanical gardens (well worth the time).

We did Stone Island on our own last week and wandered to the end of the line of restaurants to the Beach Break. While it looked nice, we didn't have a positive experience. They said they had horseback riding, however, they only had five horses and we were told every 20 minutes for about two hours that we were next. The price was cheap (originally quoted $7pp, lowered it to $5pp when we said we were going to leave) for a 20 minute ride. They finally said it was our turn, then said we had to wait another 20 minutes. Decided to give up on that and order margaritas. Two of them had hair in them (hopefully the tequila provided some level of disinfection!). We realized at that point it was time to move on.

We had spent the day at Lety's during a previous trip. I wish we had gone with what we knew. We ended up wandering the downtown and found a fantastic sidewalk café after visiting the Cathedral.

To answer the last post, I think Randy's is now Maria's. From reading other posts that would have been the better option for us.

Edited by Green Onions

We had spent the day at Lety's during a previous trip. I wish we had gone with what we knew. We ended up wandering the downtown and found a fantastic sidewalk café after visiting the Cathedral.

Do you remember the name of the restaurant or what street the restaurant was on.

I'm just curious. The last time we were in Mazatlan we did the horseback ride at Stone Island with Randy's Happy Horses. Is she still around?

Randi passed away a few years ago. Not sure how long ago it was, but she was a great person and is missed by a lot of people.

Lety also passed away about five years ago and the restaurant is now operated by her son. He has maintained the quality and service that was Lety's trademark.

Randi passed away a few years ago. Not sure how long ago it was, but she was a great person and is missed by a lot of people.

Lety also passed away about five years ago and the restaurant is now operated by her son. He has maintained the quality and service that was Lety's trademark.

I'm sorry to hear about Randi, she was one of a kind. We had the pleasure of meeting her on two different cruises.

RIP Randi.

The restaurant fronts the Plaza Machado which is two blocks west and two blocks south of the Plaza in front of the Cathedral (Basilica Inmaculada Concepcion). I don't remember the name, but it was the second one on your left if you walked east from the intersection of Constitucion and Calle Heriberto Frias along Constitucion.

• 3 months later...

Randi's Happy Horses is now called Maria's Happy Horses. The same family that owns the horses is still involved. Daniel is the father and Maria is his daughter. A very nice lady named Sophie is organizing the tours now in the same way that Randi did. We rode with them last week. It was our third time on the excursion and we had a wonderful time. The family is so nice. I highly recommend this excursion.

• 4 weeks later...
Randi's Happy Horses is now called Maria's Happy Horses. The same family that owns the horses is still involved. Daniel is the father and Maria is his daughter. A very nice lady named Sophie is organizing the tours now in the same way that Randi did. We rode with them last week. It was our third time on the excursion and we had a wonderful time. The family is so nice. I highly recommend this excursion.

I rode with Randi several times and did just the transportation twice and hung out with Randi on the beach at Victor's. I remember Maria she was just a child when we first went. Such a nice girl. Highly recommend this company. If I ever go back with my daughter and granddaughter we would do this again.

Candi

• 9 months later...

We recently returned from our Mexican cruise. We knew in advance that we wanted to return to Lety's.

When you are coming into port, you can see the Water Taxi building on the port side.

IMG_20170130_143250427_HDR.jpg

When you take the tram taxi from the cruise ship, they will drop you off in the terminal welcome center. Once you get to the street, make a left and stay on the sidewalk. Walk about 4 blocks and you will come to this sign.

IMG_20170130_165910635.jpg

Keep walking straigt and you will come to the water taxi terminal. It costs $ 2 for each person round trip.

IMG_20170130_170101828.jpg

This is the pier at the Stone island side where they let you off and also where you get your ride back.

IMG_20170130_210759832_HDR.jpg

Go straight across from the pier and you will come to the beach. Continue for another 10 minutes. We took our sandals off and walked in the wet sand. Finally you will come to Lety's. We got a spot under some umbrellas. No cost if you purchase drinks or lunch.

IMG_20170130_172928925.jpg

Start off with a Pacifico and a pina colada.

IMG_20170130_191242331.jpg

I was the only one who went swimming from our group. There were several people selling alll kinds of stuff. They try but will leave with a No, Thank You response.. I don't mind. They are just trying to make a living.

then it was time for lunch.

The famous coconut shrimp.

IMG_20170130_201247270.jpg

They are even better with the pinapple salsa.

IMG_20170130_202524339_HDR.jpg

Of course I had to have some boiled shrimp too.These are local wild caught shrimp. The cucumber and tomatoes were delicious. They seasoned them with lime and salt and pepper.

IMG_20170130_201252063.jpg

Davi was our waiter. He is the best! Muchas Gracious Davi. He even told us about the huge Botanical Garden that is a short walk away. Some of our party went there.

IMG_20170130_203312253_HDR.jpg

Sometimes you just want a relaxing day. No tours, shopping at the markets, etc. Stone Island is the place. Water is a little cool in January, but refreshing. It took about a half hour to get back to the port area. Letys has clean restrooms.. We have never gotton sick there.The food is delicious. We saw some barbarcued chicken that was being delivered to another table that looked and smelled aweful good. Maybe next time........

Why on earth did my thread get moved? It's now under a horseback riding at Stone Island? Victors is eating not horseback riding! Both things are on Stone Island, but.......... Would have been better off under Things to do at Stone Island

Please explain your logic.