I would love some input on safety of Puerto Vallarta

gladimhere

and Cabos San Lucas anyone who has been there or anyone who avoids these area.What Im reading on internet is so confusing its like they are saying its safe but not really.Then when I was reading I came across an article about a woman going to jail from airport for sudafed and having to pay to get out and pay twice at resort she was staying and a simiiar article about a man with a huge group of people from minnesota where a fight broke out he had nothing to do with he went to jail had to pay to get out talked to a lady from minnesota while in there he helped her otherwise who knows how long anyway thoughts please Thanks in advance

and Cabos San Lucas anyone who has been there or anyone who avoids these area.What Im reading on internet is so confusing its like they are saying its safe but not really.Then when I was reading I came across an article about a woman going to jail from airport for sudafed and having to pay to get out and pay twice at resort she was staying and a simiiar article about a man with a huge group of people from minnesota where a fight broke out he had nothing to do with he went to jail had to pay to get out talked to a lady from minnesota while in there he helped her otherwise who knows how long anyway thoughts please Thanks in advance

Don't know where you are reading this stuff, but if it's on the internet is it really true?

I've stayed several weeks in Cabo over the years, never had a problem. I swam, I fished, I walked to dinner, ate at different restaurants, went into the desert, went snorkeling in Santa Maria Bay, shopped, and I didn't do anything illegal or that might draw policia attention to myself.

Perhaps someone did get busted for "sudafed", but maybe it was really ecstacy or meth?

Now in PV I'd stay close to tourist and port areas because reputable newspaper reports have stated some cartels are doing business nearby. Same with Acapulco - both ports I haven't visited yet, hence I would be alert.

I have been to both many times and will be back to both in October. I have never felt unsafe at either place. I walk all over and have never had an issue.

You will be offered drugs in Cabo but I simply laugh and say no thank you and walk on. Never once has there been an issue.

I have been to and stayed at both PV and Cabo. Both are safe for tourists, just using common sense that you do everywhere else - safetywise.

The story about the sudafed is true (with the actual Psuedophendrine in it - it is considered an illegal substance), however, it happened at the airport in customs and usually, these boxes are confiscated and that is the end of it. It also depends upon who is looking through your luggage, etc. Some folks just put their allergy meds in with their ibuprofen and no one knows the difference. There is more to these stories if someone ends up in jail.

I would not see how either of these issues would apply to any cruisers in these areas.

I would suggest you stay in the 'tourist' areas and use common sense as at any port. Please do enjoy these locales, they are beautiful and the locals are so wonderful!

There are many other countries besides Mexico that don't want meds with pseudophedrin to enter the country.

Japan is another like that. You just have to buy different allergy meds when you travel and you need to learn what is allowed and not allowed. The reason they don't want that is because it is used to make meth!

You are coming on a cruise ship so none of that is relevant to your question!

We have been visiting Puerto Vallarta now for years!!

We love it and have never had any problems nor do we know anyone who goes there or spends the winter there who have problems.

Reading one article on the internet is like one story on the news that talks about a shooting in the USA and then all the folks from Europe become scared to visit!

One story does not make a place dangerous!

Go on your cruise and plan some fun excursions and enjoy yourself!!

Edited by riffatsea

It's Mexico.

I have a friend that's been there all week, leaving tomorrow. No incidents other than a tsunami warning.

I've been to both places. Never thought twice about it.

I echo what the others have said. I've done three cruises with these port stops, and going again in October. I've always stayed in the touristy areas, or been with a group on an excursion. Never felt uncomfortable or like I was in an unsafe location.

The Minnesota man was in

Playa de Carmen. Witnesses said he hit a woman in her head and caused a bar fight and could not/would not stop.

People are stupid. Acting out in a foreign country is dumb.

The sudafed thing is true but from what I read they were trying to bring in large quantities. Meth is a huge issue in Mexico as it is here .,

Be smart, research the area and know the local laws, and be alert. It doesn't matter if you are traveling to Florida or London.. No place is crime less .

Suggest you read the State Department advisory about the specific areas you

would like to see down there.

Mexico is a very dangerous country:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

America is a very dangerous country.

The tourist parts of Mexico are just as safe, if not safer than the tourist parts of the Caribbean. The few times we've traveled into the Caribbean we didn't feel safe.

A huge American and Canadian ex-pat community thrives in both cities. Stay close to the tourist areas.. We've go a bit out of bounds in both Cabo and PV and haven't had any issues.

In Cabo we walk up the the Plaza and check out the museum. We'll have lunch in or a few blocks from the Marina area. In PV we've enjoyed the overnight stops, staying out til late at night. No issues. Behind Sam's, at the light, is a wonderful mercado. We're usually the only Gringo's in the place.

FWIW it's usually the three of us. Mom, Sis and I all with grey hair.

America is a very dangerous country.

A huge American and Canadian ex-pat community thrives in both cities. Stay close to the tourist areas.. We've go a bit out of bounds in both Cabo and PV and haven't had any issues.

That would be me, living in Cabo for 4-6 months a year. I feel much safer there than I do in downtown San Diego, and I live in downtown Cabo, action central. I'm not going to be out late at night looking for trouble in either America or Mexico.

Heirloom, maybe you should re-read the advisory. Especially the part labled General Conditions.

Since some years we stay in Puerto Vallarta during the winter for about 4 or 5 months. The same is done by many many canadians and americans who we then meet again. Some of them have bought a house or rent the same place each winter, some of them have a time share for some weeks.

We all go out for dinner, drive around - many in their own cars, or take the local buses, shop local, either during the day or at night.

Never had we or our friends any problems. Mexicans are friendly people and many speak some english.

So yes, Puerto Vallarta is a very safe place to tourists or snowbirds.

Edited by Ine

We have given up trying to convince folks about the safety of PV (where we have lived for the past 10 winters). But suffice it to say that we feel safer in PV then in most places of the USA. DW and I often find ourselves walking back to our Old Town Condo after midnight and never fear any hard other then tripping over an uneven sidewalk (after a night of adult beverages).

As to the Sudafed issue, the drug has been illegal in Mexico since 2007. While we have never heard of anyone going to jail for having the drug, possession of an illegal substance could get one into legal trouble.

We are in total agreement with Ine (she is a friend) about PV and perhaps we can talk about this post when we get together next winter :). And after 10 winters in PV, and all the tales of woe on these (and other boards), we have actually increased the length of our annual stay next year (to 10 weeks). I would add that we have also spent plenty of time in the Caribbean but feel a lot safer in good ole PV. My mouth is already watering at the thought of dining in PV at our favorite restaurants when we return next winter.

Hank

We've been vacationing in these ports at least once a year for 25 years or more. Sometimes on a cruise. Sometimes for a week at a resort. We've never felt the least bit nervous. We stay in the tourist areas, don't wear "bling" or flash a lot of $$.

We'll, I should say that last February in PV there was a middle-aged, large American lady who was really enjoying her vacation. She was trying to get the young Mexican servers to dance with her in the sand at Los Muertos Beach in front of Cuates Y Cuetes. Pretty sure alcohol was involved.

Hank, I will be coming to Mexico (specifically PV) for the first time in December on a HAL San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale cruise. Any chance you'll be in town?

Would really love to meet you, but alas it will not happen in December. We do not head to PV until right after New Years. But if you book another cruise that gets you down our way, DW and I would love to have you join us for lunch, a private tour (you can buy us a $1 beer), or whatever else strikes your fancy.

Hank:eek:

I feel safe in both ports. I've been to both many times. Use the precautions you would anywhere.

I live in a very safe neighborhood. Just 10 minutes away is a neighborhood with 4500 gang members and at least one shooting a day. Obviously, I avoid going into an area that isn't safe. Same in Mexico, stay in the tourist areas and pay attention.