Carnival Dream: Cove Balcony Review

Jazzyfilly

Ok, let me start this by saying this is a fantastic find! We were oblivious to the fact that the Dream had cove balconies until we were offered it on the second floor. Interested, we took the offer and started doing research on the balcony itself.

Most reviews that I have found, mainly videos, were extremely vague. They simply showed the view, but not the balcony itself. Of course the view is what makes the balcony, but being able to simply enjoy the balcony is important also! Which is why I believe we were hesitant at first but figured that this would be fun to try out.

Upon arriving to the room, we notice it is smaller then past rooms that we had. Which is of course due to the balcony, being the size the it is, it has to take away from the size of the room. So because of this, it might make it more ideal for couples but it is still manageable for smaller families. (check photos below!) So we got out to the balcony and got a pleasant surprise. It's big alright and has enough room to comfortably rest. There were two chairs and a table, the same as all balconies. Not only that, but the front of the balcony that is part of the ships hull makes a fantastic place to rest your feet after a long day! It has plenty of privacy and really makes a great balcony because you have you own little cozy space in on this big ship.

There are a couple things to realize having a cove balcony. They only exist on the 2nd floor. Therefore they are close to the water. If you do not like being that close, I don't recommend it. It's not that close that you can dip your hand into it, but it is close enough to hear the waves break and basically make all those wonderful water sounds ;) Another thing is that if the ship is booking it somewhere, sticking your head out to look at the front or back can prove hazardous to ones hair. It wasn't really a night of rough water, but a steady stream of water spray was coming back and simply drenching anyone who poked their heads out. However, keep your head in the cove balcony, all was fine! The last real problem I ever had, was everything tended to get pretty salty out there at times. However, they are perfectly aware of this and spray down the balconies if they ever get to crusty with salt. (Keep your things inside just in case!)

Here is another thing with the Carnival Dream. They have a new thing, which I am sure you all are aware of which is the 5th floor wrap around deck. This also has hot tubs on them and many places to sit, relax to tan or sleep and on some days they have a buffet down there. Now because of this people on the 6th floor have their balconies still but they now over look the wrap around deck and the ocean. A long with all the other balconies. This sacrifices some of the balconies privacy because while in the hot tub, you can look up and see people out on their balconies. While this isn't a bad thing, because the deck was great, you do see things you might wish you didn't. For instance, I was in the hot tub to get away from the over crowded pools and here comes this couple. They were fine but immediately started to make out and the husband promptly beings to blow raspberries between the womans breast. Now this would be all fine and dandy, had not anyone been there but because we were leaving dock, most of the people had gathered out on their decks. Some brave souls looked down into the hot tub and got a show I'm sure most wished they wouldn't have saw. I would hate to have seen a look on a kids face if they had seen that! I watched as others on the balcony gave faces and some of them where laughing and closing their eyes in mock embarrassment!

However, this is where the privacy comes into play. The cove balconies are obviously below this line and literally right below the lifeboats. No one if they wanted to could look in the balcony, the only time someone can actually look up at you is if the boat as docked on your side. Thus meaning a world of privacy! I also must admit, I loved watching the pilot boats coming close to the boat and little tidbits like that!

I have some photos which gives you a view of the balcony and also the view from the balcony. I can not begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this balcony. I highly recommend it to anyone, it's a cheap secret and should really be enjoyed by anyone who gets the opportunity!

34650_1479087416044_1199520486_31343379_3450662_n.jpg

34650_1479087496046_1199520486_31343381_7123211_n.jpg

34650_1479087536047_1199520486_31343382_3651155_n.jpg

38049_1479087976058_1199520486_31343386_1465153_n.jpg

37534_1479092056160_1199520486_31343466_2889845_n.jpg

Thanks Jazzy we sail her in Sep can't wait. Could you tell me what room you were in. Trying to figure out if out divider will open. My DB and DSIL

will be next door. Thanks

We sailed the first Western last December in adjoining coves and have booked again for this coming November. The balcony dividers do not open which is the only negative thing, to me, about these cabins. Since we had adjoing rooms I had hoped at least these dividers would open.

Most reviews that I have found, mainly videos, were extremely vague. They simply showed the view, but not the balcony itself. Of course the view is what makes the balcony, but being able to simply enjoy the balcony is important also! Which is why I believe we were hesitant at first but figured that this would be fun to try out.

Upon arriving to the room, we notice it is smaller then past rooms that we had. Which is of course due to the balcony, being the size the it is, it has to take away from the size of the room. So because of this, it might make it more ideal for couples but it is still manageable for smaller families. (check photos below!) So we got out to the balcony and got a pleasant surprise. It's big alright and has enough room to comfortably rest. There were two chairs and a table, the same as all balconies. Not only that, but the front of the balcony that is part of the ships hull makes a fantastic place to rest your feet after a long day! It has plenty of privacy and really makes a great balcony because you have you own little cozy space in on this big ship.

First, I am glad you enjoyed your cove so much. We have one for the first time in November, and are very much looking forward to it. I just wanted to clarify on the cabin size. Sources that I have located/researched state that cove cabin is the same 185 SF as all standard balcony cabins, and the balcony itself is 45SF vs 35SF for standard balconies. (Obviously the walls are slanted and the measurement is at the bottom).

Thanks for the pictures as well!

Well, how we had it was set was that we were simply across the hall from each other. We were in rooms 2349 and 2351. So I am unsure of the ability to open them up, however this situation was perfect for us. We normally just propped the door open to go from room to room. The deck can also comfortably have 4 people out there.

I am surprised they don't open it up from that other comment. On one side is this heavy door in case they need to shut it due to incidents but the other side looked as if it could open. So you wouldn't have the rooms connected by inside door but possibly by the balcony.

I'm surprised! Ha, The room looked considerably smaller. I remember on the Glory we had an extra chair in the room and to me it seemed a bit more roomy. It seemed different on the Dream, but just a small difference. I'll go back and compare some photos to see if I'm losing it :-p

Nice review of the room.We have a cove balcony in october and really looking forward to it.It's just going to be 3 people in our cove,do you think that would be too crowded?I was even thinking about bring a small travel size fishing pole to go fishing since i'll be so close to the water,lol:D,just kidding i know it would be taken away at check in;).Glad you had fun on your cruise and enjoyed your cove.:)

Nice review of the room.We have a cove balcony in october and really looking forward to it.It's just going to be 3 people in our cove,do you think that would be too crowded?I was even thinking about bring a small travel size fishing pole to go fishing since i'll be so close to the water,lol:D,just kidding i know it would be taken away at check in;).Glad you had fun on your cruise and enjoyed your cove.:)

Make sure get some extra long fishing line! In Cozumel you could actually look down into the water and see the bottom, so you might get some good ones there :p

I think three people will be fine in there :) Any more then that, it could be a little more "stuffed" but I think you will enjoy it a lot!

Jazzy, Can you hear noise from above? I am debating if I want 2341 or a room already have under the galley. Thanks

Hi cnssu isn't the only coves left on our cruise 2252 and 2412? Yes another just showed up minutes ago. 2252 is not below the galley but 2412 is.

Thanks so much for the review I really do appreciate the info

How was it getting to and from the lido?

We stay lido and above / balcony. But the cove looks different and might be a nice alternative to the same old balcony rooms

do they cost the same as a regular balcony?

In general, the cove balconies will price out pleasing cheaper than a standard balcony stateroom. That is really the only plus I can see about them as I do not like the metal hull surrounding me nor do I like being able to look up and see a lifeboat hanging...JMHO on these staterooms and this ship in general..... overcrowded and poorly designed. :o

Don't need a fishing pole, we had a fish on our balcony one morning!

Thanks so much for the review I really do appreciate the info

How was it getting to and from the lido?

We stay lido and above / balcony. But the cove looks different and might be a nice alternative to the same old balcony rooms

There is a slight negative and positive to that. It is a bit slower to get an elevator to actually come down to the 2nd floor, so sometimes you wait a while. However, it's nice being close enough to walk down the steps from the 5th floor.

There is a slight negative and positive to that. It is a bit slower to get an elevator to actually come down to the 2nd floor, so sometimes you wait a while. However, it's nice being close enough to walk down the steps from the 5th floor.

Hey Jazzyfilly also another positive when you get back on the ship from the port you only have a short walk up others will be either tired of all the stairs or waiting a long time for the elevator up.

Archived