SD II January 4th through 10th

Zimmy

We are leaving for Barbados tomorrow morning to spend four days there prior to boarding SDII. This will be our first time on the II after many voyages on SDI, and we both think it will feel strange. But maybe we will see some familiar faces there.

Hopefully the wifi will cooperate and I will post from the ship to let you know how things are.

Happy New Year to all our SD and Cruise Critic friends.

Zimmy

Look for Zoltan in the Piano Bar..we were afraid to switch from I to II until we met him. Great drinks, funny and sooooo nice. We're back on I this year, can't go wrong with either in my book. Enjoy!:cool:

Zoltan unfortunately will not be onboard....he is at home in Hungary rcovering from a knee operaation. All went well and he should be back by February, 2015. Agree...truly great guy and legend.

The only difference between SDI & SDII is that SDII attracts one or two of those awful posh people from the UK (best avoided) but apart from them we wish you a great time and do let us know how things are.

@Zimmy: If ho-hum is onboard - cancel the booking for this cruise or you will need another four weeks holiday after the trip with this posh guy ... :D

@Ho-hum and blondie: We wish you nice and pleasent trips and cruises in 2015 and a prosperous and Happy New Year! :)

Edited by gcmv

Zimmy, I am jealous! I need some SD time! The only way I can tell which ship I'm on is the art work -- the crew on both is just wonderful and you may well see some familiar faces. Even if you don't, you will love the crew on board. Please do let us know who you have for HotMan, MD, bar and waiters. Tell you DH to sing one for me in the piano bar!!

Have a great time!

Vandrefalk

Vandrefalk, I will sing in the piano bar where I don't have celebrity status. But since we will be on the II, Rutzie can't get me on stage. We still owe SD a duet. Happy New Year!

Zimmy's DH

We did not want our time in Barbados to be just a countdown until we got on the ship, as has happenned with us so many other times. So online somewhere, I can't remember where, I found Calabassos Sailing Excursions. What a find! I don't think we have ever been on an excursion in the Carribbean which has been so top-notch. It is a beautiful catamaran, lovingly cared for and pristine. The proprietor, Gina, takes a maximum of twelve passengers. You leave your shoes with them before you get on the boat, and your drink comes with a coaster which you better use! And the condition of the boat reflects this. We went to snorkel with the sea turtles, then on to another location which had a reef, then on to a beach location for lunch, after which the sails are raised for the trip back. Food and drinks are plentiful and beautifully served - drinks are in glass glasses and food is served on real, not paper plates with real, not plastic silverware. And the staff - they are not only charming but get in the water with you and watch that you have a good time and are safe. We had a fabulous day, definitely up to SD standards.

Our other days have not been too shabby either. We've spent the days at the pool because the weather has been wonderful, and we have dined at The Cliff and at The Tides. Tonight is dinner at Champers, then more pool time tomorrow morning and tomorrow afternoon on to the main event!

Zimmy, thanks for checking in. Looking forward to following along on your SD cruise. As others have said so far, very little difference between SD 1 & 2 and sometimes the crew will cross back & forth so you may still see some familiar faces on board SD2. Even if you don't you will end up with some new crew favorites! ;)

Our SD Barbados-Barbados cruise was one of our favorites - the Tobago Cays are spectacularly beautiful and unspoiled & the islands are green & lush with each having a beauty all its own.

Sounds like your vacation is already off to a great start - your snorkeling excursion sounded like a wonderful experience!

There is a difference in the cabins between I and II in the dressing table area. There is more room and storage here on II. On the I there are a couple of small drawers. The II has shelves where the drawers would be, but there are also two shelves under the vanity on each side. I like it.

There is an infant on board. I will withhold judgment (and I'm very judgy) til I see how it goes.

I opened the closet to find a fan in the room. This is new. On the negative side, I have already set it up and turned it on. However, we were unpacking and that might have made me warm. When we first entered the cabin it felt comfortable. We shall see.

There are 110 passengers on this voyage, which includes a group of 25 family/friends from the south. Only met a couple but they seem nice, and are friendly. There appear to be a few children on board ranging from 8 or so to early teens.

We met Ho-Hum and Blondie even before we boarded the ship. Totally charming people.

I still feel a a bit unnerved as the surroundings are the same as we're used to but the people aren't. Kind of like coming home and your family has been replaced by others.

Off to the lifeboat drill. More later.