Confusing Excurion

grak

I just received an email from Princess saying our upcoming excursion to Buschart Gardens in Victoria (September) is being cancelled due to diminished daylight hours. We're in port from 7:00 am-2:00pm.

I just received an email from Princess saying our upcoming excursion to Buschart Gardens in Victoria (September) is being cancelled due to diminished daylight hours. We're in port from 7:00 am-2:00pm.

Most ship excursions to Butchart Gardens are 4 hrs. in length because it takes awhile to get there and back (only in Gardens for 1.5 hrs). As the gardens don't open until 8:45, Princess may have decided there's just not enough time for the excursion since you'd have to be back by 1:30 pm. Too bad they didn't figure that out before they advertised the excursion. I don't think it really has anything to do with daylight hours--sun rises around 7 am and doesn't set until well after your ship departs.

Just a thought - It is only 13 miles or 19 km (30 minutes) - not that far to do yourself via taxi or renting a car. A car rental is probably cheaper than the Princess tour - not sure about the cost of taxi................

Most ship excursions to Butchart Gardens are 4 hrs. in length because it takes awhile to get there and back (only in Gardens for 1.5 hrs). As the gardens don't open until 8:45, Princess may have decided there's just not enough time for the excursion since you'd have to be back by 1:30 pm. Too bad they didn't figure that out before they advertised the excursion. I don't think it really has anything to do with daylight hours--sun rises around 7 am and doesn't set until well after your ship departs.

Seems to me there would be plenty of time. Excursion just has to leave the port in order to be at the gardens when they open at 8:45.

That would allow four hours for visiting the gardens and getting back to the ship by 1 PM, 30 minutes before required boarding time.

This tour is often offered on sailings where the port stop is 7 PM - midnight. In these cases, diminished daylight hours would be a factor late in the season. I'm guessing that Princess sent out this notice to all passengers scheduled to visit Buchart Gardens in a specific late-season time frame, accidentally including those who are visiting Victoria in the daytime and would not be affected. I don't see any reason why the OP's tour would be cancelled, and the notice was probably an error, but they should check with Princess to be sure.

I received this message, too. Bummer. They cancelled my shore excursion. The really weird thing is that other Butchart Gardens tours are still offered on Cruise Personalizer, such as Butchart and Butterfly Gardens, Tea at Butchart Gardens, Wine and Chocolate at Butchart Gardens, etc.

Go figure. Ugh😔

I received this message' date=' too. Bummer. They cancelled my shore excursion. The really weird thing is that other Butchart Gardens tours are still offered on Cruise Personalizer, such as Butchart and Butterfly Gardens, Tea at Butchart Gardens, Wine and Chocolate at Butchart Gardens, etc.

Go figure. Ugh😔[/quote']

I just got off emerald princess; we docked at 7pm and the gardens has a night tour with fireworks

I received this message' date=' too. Bummer. They cancelled my shore excursion. The really weird thing is that other Butchart Gardens tours are still offered on Cruise Personalizer, such as Butchart and Butterfly Gardens, Tea at Butchart Gardens, Wine and Chocolate at Butchart Gardens, etc.

Go figure. Ugh😔[/quote']

Just book it on your own.

We did.