Sea Sickness... What to do?? Help!

Jamericannn

4 of the 7 people in my upcoming cruise have never cruised before. I am very concerned for two of them because they suffer from motion sickness when driving for 1 hour or more. I got them a cabin on the lower level in the middle of the ship to reduce the effect of the ship's rocking. I am trying to get some suggestions on what is best for them to use in order to reduce the possibility of getting sick. Do you suggest wrist bands, pills or ear patch? or something else?

I want to make sure they enjoy their cruise in case I enjoy time with them and want them to come back again. They are not going to book another cruise until they know what it feels like to cruise.

Get a bottle of Ginger root from your pharmacy. Have them start taking a pill with breakfast and dinner the day before the cruise. It's much easier to maintain feeling good. If they wait until they feel sick, it's going to be too late for the ginger. Also, the wristbands do help and no reason they can't use both. Good luck!

Get a bottle of Ginger root from your pharmacy. Have them start taking a pill with breakfast and dinner the day before the cruise. It's much easier to maintain feeling good. If they wait until they feel sick, it's going to be too late for the ginger. Also, the wristbands do help and no reason they can't use both. Good luck!

I saw a video on youtube where they suggest not to take both. :rolleyes:

I buy ginger anti nausea gum called "sea band" at walgreens. it works wonders. also, a jar of ginger from the grocery store is handy to have. If they get sick on the cruise, call down and ask for green apples and saltines. that's what the crew uses and they will send that to your room.

I will try definitely bring some ginger seeing that most people recommend it. I think I would go with the candy instead of the gum because gum can get you gassy which may cause you to feel sick.

I saw a video on youtube where they suggest not to take both. :rolleyes:

Well, all I can tell you is that both my husband and daughter take the ginger pills and if it gets very rough will wear the sea band bracelets. They have had good results. Only one is actually a pill, so I don't see how they could possibly interact. Hope you find a solution that works for your friends.

Real candied Ginger is the best remedy, nothing works better. You can get it at most whole food stores.

Thank you. I will take some. My fear is that I will have to be a doctor on the cruise. I see patients everyday with my job so I don't want to do that on my cruise.

Well, all I can tell you is that both my husband and daughter take the ginger pills and if it gets very rough will wear the sea band bracelets. They have had good results. Only one is actually a pill, so I don't see how they could possibly interact. Hope you find a solution that works for your friends.

I see what you are saying. I don't see how they would interact with each other either seeing that they are not both going in your body. So far I think the ginger and the bands could be a good combination.

Real candied Ginger is the best remedy, nothing works better. You can get it at most whole food stores.

I made candied ginger for our first cruise. It was fairly easy to do. I liked it, the wife and daughter not so much. It had a pretty good kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just remember that ginger doesn't always work for everyone. And larger medical studies have shown that while ginger can assist in reducing vomiting, it doesn't do anything for the nausea. Smaller studies seem to indicate that scopolamine does better than ginger in reducing motion sickness, but ginger does have fewer side effects like dry mouth.

Just an FYI if you try the earpatch. I did on my last cruise and I either touched my eyes after putting it on or did not wash my hands properly and lost my nearsightedness for a day! It was very scary until we read the side effects and this came up as number 1. I took if off and was fine the next day!

I second this! Real candied ginger is the best. You can also get it in your grocery stores bulk food area.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I always use a product called motioneaze and also take a NON drowsy motion sickeness pill. The motioneaze is a liquid in a very small bottle and you put a dab behind your ear lobe. I always go with the non drowsy pills as i tried bonine my last cruise as i took it in the morning and it knocked me out all day long. After that I always go non drowsy. And I have drank alcohol with the non drowsy and it had no negative affect.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I have severe motion sickness in the car but don't really have a problem with sea sickness, so they might be just fine. But even so, the first night will probably feel a little odd to them as they're getting used to the movement of the ship. I suggest taking a Dramamine or some other similar medication before bed the night before your cruise, just to be safe. They can also continue to take it nightly before bed if necessary. Also the sea bands have worked well for us on nights where the ship got a little rough. You could also do the patch, but that probably means no drinking for the duration of your cruise and I don't know how that would effect your plans.

The key is preventing sea sickness, not trying to cure it. You should start preparing yourself before you board so that you can enjoy your cruise!

Everyone is different. As others have mentioned, you have to start treatment before the cruise. Once you are sick, nothing works, at least for most. My only guarantee is the transdermal patch (behind the ear). This requires a prescription. It only lasts 3-4 days so you need to take extra patches with you. If it is really rocking for an extended time, I also go for ginger options and green apples. Best of luck for your friends!!

I have severe motion sickness in the car but don't really have a problem with sea sickness, so they might be just fine. But even so, the first night will probably feel a little odd to them as they're getting used to the movement of the ship. I suggest taking a Dramamine or some other similar medication before bed the night before your cruise, just to be safe. They can also continue to take it nightly before bed if necessary. Also the sea bands have worked well for us on nights where the ship got a little rough. You could also do the patch, but that probably means no drinking for the duration of your cruise and I don't know how that would effect your plans.

The key is preventing sea sickness, not trying to cure it. You should start preparing yourself before you board so that you can enjoy your cruise!

The no drinking part definitely would not work for them. :). So you are not supposed to drink if you are wearing the patches?

http://m.gnc.com/Prince-of-Peace-100-Natural-Ginger-Candy/product.jsp?productId=43506176&channel=ppc&channel=ppc&device=m&c3ch=PLA&flagtype=nonbrand&adpos=1o2&network=g&vendor=PRINCE_OF_PEACE&vendor=none&product_id=19277168&creative=125833858634&matchtype=&c3nid=19277168&gclid=Cj0KEQiA25rFBRC8rfyX1vjeg7YBEiQAFIb3b883TR50Y57NYyWmjgRZ-kePd4C8_vZOMX1Zg9KtG7IaAjvt8P8HAQ&eesource=CA_DF:43506176:GNCproduct.jsp?productId=43506176&channel=ppc&channel=ppc&device=m&c3ch=PLA&flagtype=nonbrand&adpos=1o2&network=g&vendor=PRINCE_OF_PEACE&vendor=none&product_id=19277168&creative=125833858634&matchtype=&c3nid=19277168&gclid=Cj0KEQiA25rFBRC8rfyX1vjeg7YBEiQAFIb3b883TR50Y57NYyWmjgRZ-kePd4C8_vZOMX1Zg9KtG7IaAjvt8P8HAQ&eesource=CA_DF:43506176:GNC

I made candied ginger for our first cruise. It was fairly easy to do. I liked it, the wife and daughter not so much. It had a pretty good kick.

Seeing that no one else but you liked it I will not ask you to make some for me then. Lol. I searched o line what the candied ginger is and I see that it is available at GNC for $2.29 per pack

imagepng

4 of the 7 people in my upcoming cruise have never cruised before. I am very concerned for two of them because they suffer from motion sickness when driving for 1 hour or more. I got them a cabin on the lower level in the middle of the ship to reduce the effect of the ship's rocking. I am trying to get some suggestions on what is best for them to use in order to reduce the possibility of getting sick. Do you suggest wrist bands, pills or ear patch? or something else?

I want to make sure they enjoy their cruise in case I enjoy time with them and want them to come back again. They are not going to book another cruise until they know what it feels like to cruise

Edited by smellmo