AC power plugs and sockets: British and related types

LazyMary

Does anyone know what the amps on a cruise ship is for the two hole british plugs....American is 110....I bought an adapter so I can plug stuff into the two hole british plugs but I'm not sure it is safe....:confused:

Outlets are 220 - if you want to plug in chargers most will accept 110 or 220 in which case you will just need a cheap adapter - these are only on the lamps. there are US 110 receptacles on the desk.

Edited by elfinmagic
content

I am not sure if this will help you or not as this is from our last cruise on the Caribbean Princess.

It has the standard, American 120-volt outlets at the desk:

32339296663_4a61fbacbc_z.jpgP1060603 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

It also has the 230-volt:

32339301513_2ebe03655c_z.jpgP1060602 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

In the bathroom, you have the 120/230-volt combo outlet, depending on what the plug type is:

32309361614_753fc37476_z.jpgP1060606 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

The plug in the bathroom is much lower rated for things such as electric razors, night lights, tooth brushes, etc. A hair dryer draws too many watts and will trip the outlet in the bathroom.

I am not sure why you would need the adapters since you can plug most anything into the standard 120-volt outlets at the desk and if you needed more than the two, could bring a power strip.

Does anyone know what the amps on a cruise ship is for the two hole british plugs....American is 110....I bought an adapter so I can plug stuff into the two hole british plugs but I'm not sure it is safe....:confused:

Voltage throughout most of the non US world is 220-240volts no matter what the shape or style of the plug. Most modern electronics, phones, pads, camera batteries can use either 110 or 220 so you simply need an adapter. You should check on things like toothbrushes, hair straighteners, etc as they may vary and would not do well when plugged into 220-240. Simple adapters can be purchased for $2-4 and are small and lightweight. Be sure you get the proper ones for where you are traveling. While the cruise ship has some 110 outlets it will also have some 220's and you can use those for your electronics thus giving you more usable options.

I don't think Princess ships have any British plugs. They have American plugs (110-120 volts) and European plugs (220-240 volts) only.

The British plugs have three prongs. The ones with two round prongs are European - not British.

All the advice you have been given is correct particularly for chargers etc, BUT... you will need to be very careful with any heat generating appliances as whereas it is easy to make a multi-voltage charger, the same is not true for things like hair dryers, and hair straighteners etc. and you should not plug one designed for 110volts into a 240volt socket unless the device is very clearly marked as dual voltage.

This s because, although hair straighteners should be thermostatically controlled, a product designed for use on 110 volts only, will potentially generate FOUR (not two) times the heat the product is designed to generate, thereby making it both potentially dangerous to the user (too hot) and also a safety risk (catching fire).

I am not sure if this will help you or not as this is from our last cruise on the Caribbean Princess.

It has the standard, American 120-volt outlets at the desk:

32339296663_4a61fbacbc_z.jpgP1060603 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

It also has the 230-volt:

32339301513_2ebe03655c_z.jpgP1060602 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

In the bathroom, you have the 120/230-volt combo outlet, depending on what the plug type is:

32309361614_753fc37476_z.jpgP1060606 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

The plug in the bathroom is much lower rated for things such as electric razors, night lights, tooth brushes, etc. A hair dryer draws too many watts and will trip the outlet in the bathroom.

I am not sure why you would need the adapters since you can plug most anything into the standard 120-volt outlets at the desk and if you needed more than the two, could bring a power strip.

Those pictures look like you were in a suite. Those 220V outlets must have been added during the last drydock, because originally there were no European style 220V outlets on the Caribbean. Only cabins we have been on with 220V European plugs are the Pacific and the Regal except for the Window Suites on the Golden but they were added later. Otherwise, unless added during recent drydocks, there are only 120V US style plugs on the Coral, Island and the nine Grand class ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think Princess ships have any British plugs. They have American plugs (110-120 volts) and European plugs (220-240 volts) only.

The British plugs have three prongs. The ones with two round prongs are European - not British.

Did they change their electrical system with Brexit??? LOL

Those pictures look like you were in a suite. Those 220V outlets must have been added during the last drydock, because originally there were no European style 220V outlets on the Caribbean. Only cabins we have been on with 220V European plugs are the Pacific and the Regal except for the Window Suites on the Golden but they were added later. Otherwise, unless added during recent drydocks, there are only 120V US style plugs on the Coral, Island and the nine Grand class ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are correct, we were in a window suite. It was actually 1-2 weeks before this last dry dock though, so assume they have been there for a while.

You might want to double check on the three prong if you are going to be staying in London before or after your cruise.

We are staying in a window suite ...so, are you saying the European plug is 120 v...from what I have read the window suite has one double plug (USA) and one double plug ( Euro) yes I plan to bring a few power strips but an extra wall plug would be great

I assume it is OK for us to make jokes about America changing its political code of conduct with your President??? LOL

MODs perhaps you would like to delete this post and the one I quoted

FWIW folks, I protested my own (this) post in the hope that the MODs will use my post to help them understand why elfinmagic's post is offensive and respond accordingly by deleting both posts.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

I assume it is OK for us to make jokes about America changing its political code of conduct with your President??? LOL

FWIW folks, I protested my own (this) post in the hope that the MODs will use my post to help them understand why elfinmagic's post is offensive and respond accordingly by deleting both posts.

Sorry - I guess you don't know what LOL means - it means I was joking - sorry if it offended you and BTW I did vote for Trump and am happy with him

He can't help himself. He was born that way.

We are staying in a window suite ...so, are you saying the European plug is 120 v...from what I have read the window suite has one double plug (USA) and one double plug ( Euro) yes I plan to bring a few power strips but an extra wall plug would be great

Euro outlet will be 220.

Very few electrical appliances are single voltage these days.

Dual voltage appliances will state 110v-240v, somewhere on its body.

Euro outlet will be 220.

Very few electrical appliances are single voltage these days.

Dual voltage appliances will state 110v-240v, somewhere on its body.

Thank you...I don't want to start a fire or blow up my stuff....I realize I have too much stuff that needs to be plugged in ....clock, curling irons (3), hair dryer, ipads (3) laptop, iphones (2)

No we have had the 3 rectangular prongs for over 60 years, and Brexit hasn't happened yet anyhow.

Poundland shops which are in most British towns carry a good range of adapters for the low cost of one pound.

Those adapters do NOT change the voltage but do allow you to put a different plug in.

So if the appliance is multi voltage it fixes the problem.

Amps are current, what you should be concerned about is Volts. 220volt in Britain/Europe/Most other countries and 110 volt in US and Canada.

British plugs are 3 rectangular pins not two. You won't find those on a Princess ship.

Can I ask if anyone has stayed in an inside on Crown or same class ship and has seen a 220 volt European socket, either on desk or behond beds, we stayed in an aft balacony on Emerald last time and there was one behind the bed.

Just deciding how long an extension lead I need to pack as my hairdryer doesn't work correctly using the US sockets.

Can I ask if anyone has stayed in an inside on Crown or same class ship and has seen a 220 volt European socket, either on desk or behond beds, we stayed in an aft balacony on Emerald last time and there was one behind the bed.

Just deciding how long an extension lead I need to pack as my hairdryer doesn't work correctly using the US sockets.

Just off the Crown, no european socket by the desk, only 2 US plugs very close together and also right next to the telephone socket. Couldn't say about a socket under the bed as I forgot to check.

Thank you...I don't want to start a fire or blow up my stuff....I realize I have too much stuff that needs to be plugged in ....clock, curling irons (3), hair dryer, ipads (3) laptop, iphones (2)

Well, since your original post asked about amps, and everyone is responding about voltage, lets clear something up. Both 110v and 220v circuits for the cabin outlets are 20 amp circuits, but each circuit covers 3-4 cabins. The clock, ipad, laptop, phones do not draw much power, so they can all be plugged in at the same time without much problem. Your hair dryer and curling irons will draw significant current, and if used together, or if the ladies in the adjoining cabins (on the same circuit) decide to use their hair care appliances at the same time, the circuit breaker may pop.

As noted, if you plug a 110v appliance into a 220v outlet, it will almost immediately overheat and burn out, typically before the appliance starts to melt or burn, the heating element.