Bed Bugs on Carnival Ships?

Joaljoe

Has anyone encountered or knows of anyone who has seen or got bed bugs from a cruise ship?

I know these buggers are around everywhere now and are really popular in Hotels, Dorms and Cruises. But you can get them anywere really, public transit, mall, school, work etc etc....

Has anyone encountered or knows of anyone who has seen or got bed bugs from a cruise ship?

I know these buggers are around everywhere now and are really popular in Hotels, Dorms and Cruises. But you can get them anywere really, public transit, mall, school, work etc etc....

Our beds have always been spotless...comfortable....and big.

This thread could go downhill fast but I hope not:)

Really? It's ok if it does. :) I was just wondering because I've been seeing so many articles and news reports lately and have heard of people actually going through a nightmare because of them.

I hope to god that Cruise ships don't have any because we want to plan our next cruise soon!!! :D

Joal, from what I've read on those threads that discussed bedbugs, the problem was with the fold down beds that people with kids usually get. But a good test to see if the bed is infested is to sit on the bed for a few minutes (the bugs are attracted to body heat) then pull the comforter and sheet down, if you see brown dots then they may be present.

I've fortunately never had the problem, but I've read the threads with them, because they ALWAYS pop up right before I cruise (itches herself from the thought) ugh.

Carole

Really? It's ok if it does. :) I was just wondering because I've been seeing so many articles and news reports lately and have heard of people actually going through a nightmare because of them.

I hope to god that Cruise ships don't have any because we want to plan our next cruise soon!!! :D

In my 5 Carnival cruises ( soon to be 6 ) I have never encountered, nor have I met anyone who has encountered bed bugs. I'm sure it happens, but they do such a good job of keeping the cabins clean it must be isolated.

I don't want to read posts like this. Why is i that they always come up before you go on vacation? Like you always hear of a plane crashing before you get on one, etc. We go on the Valor in April and I don't want to have to worry about bed bugs. There are other things to worry about like, where am I eating today, where do I sit on deck, what DOD do I want? I don't want to think about Bed Bugs! Have you heard of any on the Valor? My friend who is traveling with us will freak out if she hears there are bed bugs.

No, I've never had a problem with bedbugs and have not personally known anyone who has.

Morcruisin ~ don't worry! I was on the Valor, along with a BUNCH of other Cruise Critic peeps, in March 2008......no bed bugs to be found. Valor is great ~ you'll have a wonderful cruise.

I myself just got off a cruise 3 weeks ago and did my checking because of the info I have read. lol But was all clear and I was able to enjoy my vacation without any stress.

And I'm glad to hear that no one has come across any as well. :)

Never...in over 250 cruises....64 of which have been on Carnival.

Sorry guys but I do know of one story regarding bed-bugs. My parents were sailing on the Liberty last year beginning of June, visiting me whilst I was working on there and they had bed bugs. My stepdad got bitten quite badly, my mother just had a few bites. Ths was their 9th cruise and are very much aware that this DOES NOT REGULARLY HAPPEN. They reported it to the pursers desk... who then reported it to housekeeping. I knew the chief purser anyway and had asked about the possibility of an upgrade for them (they were in an interior cabin on deck 1). They got upgraded to an ocean view room on deck 2 and their cabin on deck 1 was fumigated about ten times over by housekeeping. The pursers were extremely apologetic and advised my folks that this doesn't usually happen (as we were aware). They went to the infirmary and got some free cream for the bites (which did the trick). They also gave my parents a few free drinks vouchers. My parents were happy with the outcome, the problem was acknowledged and resolved, even if they hadn't switched rooms I don't think anything would have been alive after housekeeping had finished.

Sorry guys but I do know of one story regarding bed-bugs. My parents were sailing on the Liberty last year beginning of June, visiting me whilst I was working on there and they had bed bugs. My stepdad got bitten quite badly, my mother just had a few bites. Ths was their 9th cruise and are very much aware that this DOES NOT REGULARLY HAPPEN. They reported it to the pursers desk... who then reported it to housekeeping. I knew the chief purser anyway and had asked about the possibility of an upgrade for them (they were in an interior cabin on deck 1). They got upgraded to an ocean view room on deck 2 and their cabin on deck 1 was fumigated about ten times over by housekeeping. The pursers were extremely apologetic and advised my folks that this doesn't usually happen (as we were aware). They went to the infirmary and got some free cream for the bites (which did the trick). They also gave my parents a few free drinks vouchers. My parents were happy with the outcome, the problem was acknowledged and resolved, even if they hadn't switched rooms I don't think anything would have been alive after housekeeping had finished.

Carnival did the right thing by your parents. Good thing there was a cabin available for them because my DH has asthma and would never be able to back into the cabin for days after fumigation.

I am surprised you do not hear about this more often. With all the millions of passengers that have been so many places with their luggage (I heard the buggies hide in there). I have only seen pics of them. I am guessing they might look like a tick? If one was ever on me you would hear me 10 staterooms down for sure!:eek:

I haven't ever seen a problem in a hotel or cruise ship but I do always lift the mattress & look for signs.....just habit.

Been on 4 Carnival Cruises and 10 with other lines, never had an issue with Bed Bugs. I was thinking they didn't like the Ocean, maybe they get sea sick or something. ;) Actually, it's a positive for Carnival (good cleaning)... keep them critters at bay.

I don't want to read posts like this. Why is i that they always come up before you go on vacation? Like you always hear of a plane crashing before you get on one, etc. We go on the Valor in April and I don't want to have to worry about bed bugs. There are other things to worry about like, where am I eating today, where do I sit on deck, what DOD do I want? I don't want to think about Bed Bugs! Have you heard of any on the Valor? My friend who is traveling with us will freak out if she hears there are bed bugs.

Ditto. I leave soon (not that I am worried though) and this is not something I wanted to read. My fault for opening and reading!!! ;)

Archived