Homelands Air

bothellms

We are booked on the Homelands Cruise on the Viking Sea in May 2018. We will be flying in and out of Seattle and are trying to decide if we should use Viking Air.

Has anyone used Viking Air for this cruise from Seattle? Did you make your own arrangements or did you leave it up to Viking?

Thank you.

We are also on a May Homelands cruise. One of the first things they told us was that we could not use Viking Air Plus because flights out of Bergen are so limited. We would just have to use regular Viking Air and couldn't choose our own flights.

Since I didn't much like that option, I priced airfare the day it opened for our dates. We wanted to fly business class, and ended up getting tickets for the two of us $1000 cheaper than the Viking Air business class. And we have good flights with plenty of connection time and our chosen seats.

We don't live in Seatle, but living in Santa Fe and having to fly from Albuquerque has to be even more difficult, I would think. So maybe do a little checking on your own before taking Viking Air, would be my advice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am not from Seattle but I am on the Viking sky viking homelands on May 12th, 2018. But yes we are using Viking Air but we are leaving from Stockholm. When one uses the air, you get transfers from airport to ship and back included. It just easier for me..

We are booked on the Homelands Cruise on the Viking Sea in May 2018. We will be flying in and out of Seattle and are trying to decide if we should use Viking Air.

Has anyone used Viking Air for this cruise from Seattle? Did you make your own arrangements or did you leave it up to Viking?

Thank you.

We usually use Viking Air Plus but couldn't with the Bergen departure. We did leave it up to Viking. We are leaving this Friday Aug 25th for Homelands cruise but from Washington DC not Seattle. We fly United from DC to Stockholm with connection in Munich. Flight home is Bergen to London, then London to DC on British Airways. Not too bad without Viking Air Plus. Viking Air Plus is $50 more per person and you can choose your flights - we have done this for four other Viking cruises. Sorry we couldn't for this one.

You can ask your travel agent to ticket your flight early (Viking usually does not ticket your flight until 75 days out). We usually ticket early so we can select our seats and or upgrade our seats.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from Homelands on 8/20. Taxi from the ship to Bergen Airport was about $74, still cheaper than Viking charges. From Arlanda airport Stockholm we took the Arlanda Express (train) to the main train station in the city. Booked online with a credit card, then just showed the credit card to the ticket taker who scanned it. About $43, Taxis were available at the train station to continue to the ship or hotel.

We always book our own air.

Are either of you on the May 15, 2018 Viking Homelands trip from Bergen to Stockholm? I am buying air separate but am trying to figure out transfers from the airport to the ship and vice versa as the Viking transfers without their air are so expensive.

To each his own but this is what we did, even though we were traveling the opposite direction. We used the Airport bus in Bergen to get to the airport. The bus from the airport will bring you a couple of blocks from the ship--within sight. n Stockholm we did Arlanda Express from airport to city and then cab to our hotel, as we came in a couple of days early. we could see the port from our window.

Are either of you on the May 15, 2018 Viking Homelands trip from Bergen to Stockholm? I am buying air separate but am trying to figure out transfers from the airport to the ship and vice versa as the Viking transfers without their air are so expensive.

My husband and I are on that cruise. We are doing the Oslo-Bergen rail pre-trip. Used Viking Air and already have our flights. Upgraded to business class. Very happy with our flights.

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

We are also on the May 15,2018 Viking’s Homeland from Bergen to Stockholm. I have started a roll call for the cruise. I see that midnight1717 and Kathy A might be on the same cruise. Would love if you’d join. We too are figuring out how to get to Bergen from Oslo. Might try Norway in a nutshell

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi there!

We are also on the May 15,2018 Viking’s Homeland from Bergen to Stockholm. I have started a roll call for the cruise. I see that midnight1717 and Kathy A might be on the same cruise. Would love if you’d join. We too are figuring out how to get to Bergen from Oslo. Might try Norway in a nutshell

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cal2266, there has been a lot of talk in various threads in this forum about Norway in a Nutshell, especially about 6 months ago, leading up to the summer "Homelands" sailing season. Thread titles aren't always a good indication of thread content (we digress so easily) so, have you tried searching this forum for the words Oslo, Nutshell or the word Homelands? A lot of people have been favorably impressed by N-in-N and there also suggestions about luggage handling so that you don't have to worry about dragging all your luggage with you as you make the journey and even talk about considering an overnight stay along the way.

• 2 months later...

We are on the May 19 Homelands leaving from Bergen. We booked our own air using Norwegian Air, JFK non stop to Oslo. We are in

Oslo a few days. Then taking the Nutshell trip to Bergen on the day before we get on the ship. Coming home we used miles.

We are on the Homelands trip boarding in Bergen on May 26, 2018. We booked our own air using miles, flying into Oslo a few days ahead and adding one day at the end in Stockholm. We are taking the Nutshell trip from Oslo to Bergen two days before boarding and are staying one night in Flam on the way. We plan to use the train from the Oslo airport to the city on arrival and the Arlanda Express in Stockholm the day before flying home. We booked that night at a hotel at Arlanda, because we have an early flight the next day. In Oslo we booked a hotel near the train station to minimize transfer times. We have used Viking Air a couple of times for river cruises when we didn't want to add extra days, and if they had a very good air special, we'd do it again. However, it's always been easy to find our own transportation to the ship when we booked our own air.