loen sky lift

wharton450

When we were in Olden in June, there was a point straight ahead as you get off the ship where you could get a mini bus to the new sky lift. It is about 7 kilometers away so not far - we wanted to do this but we chickened out. You can book on the website. There was a thread on this a few months ago and someone that did it said it was well worthwhile.

Yes, I was there on Azura. You can buy a combined transfer and Skylift deal from the ticket office in the bar to the right of the dock. It cost 650 kroner which is quite expensive but I thought it good value. The transfers are run by an enterprising local who uses a coach although the coach broke down so he used a people carrier to get us back to the ship. They check the same number return as tickets sold so you should get back to the ship. The transfer runs every 30 minutes which matches the frequency of the cable car.

I was impressed with the Skylift even although they were still working on the facilities. there is a café/restaurant at the top with amazing views and if you like walking there are paths further up the mountains. They were also base jumping with wingsuits right outside the café windows :eek::eek::eek:

The advantage of doing it yourself is you don't need to go if the clouds block the view

I think this is going to get very popular.

We were in Olden on 8th August and went on the Loen Skylift, expensive but well worth the money. The views were breathtaking, our grandchildren loved it, and even though I don't like heights, I was ok.

We did not book before the cruise as we wanted to check the weather first, we just got off the ship and paid at the skylift booth on the quayside. There was another ship in that day so it was chaos, very long queues at the tourist information. It cost me 1900 Krone ( £190 ) for 2 adults and 2 children including the short coach ride to the lift. The skylift tickets alone would have cost me £140, so £50 for the short return coach transfer. It's a pity there isn't a cheaper alternative transfer.

When we embarked Britannia there was a shore excursion leaflet in the cabin which had Loen Skylift for £64 each, £33 for children, it was for the same coach we used. If you can get loyalty discount it would workout cheaper with P&O, we didn't book with P&O as they charge full price for children 12 and over.

Try to get off the bus quickly, as we did, to get a place by the window in the gondola, not too good if you are stuck in the middle if its full. It was cold at the top, even in August, so don't forget a jacket like my granddaughter did!

I did it the week after it opened! It was fantastic,,one of the best things I've ever done,,,I loved it. I just got off the ship( Azura) and went straight to the ticket booth,,cabin thing where we docked,,yes it was expensive,,650 kroner but by golly I thought it wa worth it. They were still tarmacing the car park when I went! Coming down I had the whole thing to myself,,I laughed gleefully all the way down! I walked along the paths up there and revelled in the sheer beauty and coldnesss of it,,I cannot recommend it enough. I'm currently in Spain and went on a very small cable car up a mountain the other day,,very high,,very dramatic,,but I said to my husband that it didn't compare to that Loen skylift! Do it:cool:

Catch it before it gets too popular. The car capacity is I think 45 people with 2 cars swopping every 30 minutes. So the current capacity is 90 people per hour. It takes about 7 minutes to travel so they could double the capacity by having 15 minute departures.

I never saw any, or local buses, but as I mentioned, it was chaos on the quayside at 9-30am when we got off Britannia.I had read before we sailed that taxis are few and far between, so we just paid the price. It isnt very far from the ship, we got some great photos of Britannia and a Costa ship from the top of the Skylift.

Just come back on Aurora, we booked onboard it was £67 less your loyalty discount. Collect your ticket from the tourist information office just on the quayside, don't lose it as you have to put it through a scanner to gain access to gondola both up and down. The coach transfer goes from the petrol station every half (1/4 past and 1/4 to the hour) takes about 10 mins to get to Loen

Skylift.

You can go at anytime but we got the coach at 9.30 and the lift was at 10. Great journey up and when we arrived there was only about 10 other people there.

From the viewing platform you can see for miles, absolutely breathtaking scenery . We watched paragliders jumping off the mountain and was lucky enough to see a base jumper doing the same.

You can stay up there as long as you want , there are walks to take if you want some more strenuous than others.

We had 2 coffees and a cake which we shared and it cost about £13. So for the view not too bad.

I would say that this was the highlight of the cruise , we took lots of photos and video of the descent in the gondola.

A must do excursion.