Tainted Alcohol

islacruzer

Most often when news hits stateside, there are a ton of filters. You hear things like "another teen blacks out in a Mexican resort" but overlooks a lot of facts like the victim was a teen and probably made poor choices. I don't plan on partying like it's 1999 but I do plan on purchasing quality tequila to open on special occasions. For those of you who live in the area or those who frequent the MX Riviera, does bottled tequila fall under the state Dept warning? I find it awfully difficult to believe that ALL alcohol could be tainted which most likely doesn't fall under these tequila distilleries that are privately owned (we booked an excursion for a tequila tour). Any insight or opinions are appreciated.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

You always want to ask for a brand name of tequila and watch the bottle, otherwise it's possible you're not getting tequila at all. It's been known to happen where I live in San Carlos, Mexico.

Thanks Laurie. After a response from you and another cruiser on another thread, I think we're going to enjoy the tour buy our tequila at some of the recommended stores near the port.

I believe these incidents all occurred at AI resorts where profit margins played a role in the owner, or maybe the bar manager, added "stuff" to stretch the real product.

I wouldn't worry about name brand product you buy off the shelf or are served in regular tourist establishments.

Enjoy!!

I believe these incidents all occurred at AI resorts where profit margins played a role in the owner, or maybe the bar manager, added "stuff" to stretch the real product.

I wouldn't worry about name brand product you buy off the shelf or are served in regular tourist establishments.

Enjoy!!

Thanks for your insight! What gets to me is that, there are news reports of kids blacking out at these resorts, and claims that it was tainted alcohol, but no word on how they knew it was tainted. No blood test confirming the existence of drugs or anything (not that I have read so far). But thanks for your response (and others as well), it helps us on our trip.

...For those of you who live in the area or those who frequent the MX Riviera, does bottled tequila fall under the state Dept warning? I find it awfully difficult to believe that ALL alcohol could be tainted which most likely doesn't fall under these tequila distilleries that are privately owned (we booked an excursion for a tequila tour). Any insight or opinions are appreciated.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

Here is my opinion. Any of these incidents that happen at a major resort are the result of employees trying to make a few extra pesos on the side. I expect these employees are mostly substituting low end "cana" for the real tequila. In lower end establishments, the likelihood of management being in on the scam to improve their margins is increased.

The actual factories have nothing to do with this. The quality coming from the factory will be similar to that in the states. A very small likelihood of an error in production could happen, but no way brands like Patron want to jeopardize their business in this way.

For me personally, I will still order things like margaritas when I go out and not be scared off by this notice. I also expect the big hotel chains and resorts to watch this more closely in the future which should also help.

The only real way to ensure safety is to request bottle service. That way you know what you are truly getting. I know people that live in Mexico that only order alcohol in bars this way.

Here is my opinion. Any of these incidents that happen at a major resort are the result of employees trying to make a few extra pesos on the side. I expect these employees are mostly substituting low end "cana" for the real tequila. In lower end establishments, the likelihood of management being in on the scam to improve their margins is increased.

The actual factories have nothing to do with this. The quality coming from the factory will be similar to that in the states. A very small likelihood of an error in production could happen, but no way brands like Patron want to jeopardize their business in this way.

For me personally, I will still order things like margaritas when I go out and not be scared off by this notice. I also expect the big hotel chains and resorts to watch this more closely in the future which should also help.

The only real way to ensure safety is to request bottle service. That way you know what you are truly getting. I know people that live in Mexico that only order alcohol in bars this way.

Thanks for your response! I guess the bottom line is to not purchase anything unsealed or questionable. I was told by a co-worker that still travels back and forth between Mexico and the U.S. that in Mexico, there's a hologram to look for on sealed bottles.

To the OP - what tour are you going on? We are looking at these too. Know which one is the best? I've heard not to do the "free" tasting included in the tour but that seems incredibly rude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about a "free tasting" but the tour we're going on is in Puerto Vallarta: Mexican Fiesta - Tequila Tasting with Lunch

I don't know which one is the best but I'll tell you how it goes with this one when we get there next week. We embark this Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...
To the OP - what tour are you going on? We are looking at these too. Know which one is the best? I've heard not to do the "free" tasting included in the tour but that seems incredibly rude.

This is the first post since I've been back on the Carnival Mexican Riviera Cruise, and I remember you were asking about the Tequila Tasting tour. This is what I've learned:

1. There are over 2000 brands of tequila in the world. Finding out which one is the best is kind of like asking someone what's the best car out there.
  2. The best tasting tequila, is the one you like the best.
  3. Tequila by its very nature does not taste good right off the bat. There is a process and each distillery has it's own process to make it smooth. Some processes are similar to others.

This excursion takes you on a tour of one distillery, showing you how they make the tequila, what the process involved is, and how it gets from the plant to the bottle. They have their own brand. I actually did like it to be honest that I bought a few bottles. There was lunch served (all you can eat): Vegetarian and traditional Mexican beans, rice, chicken adobada. The show had traditional dances and they got the members of the tour involved. There was a part where there was a contest on who could scream like a Mexican after a shot of Tequila.

We were able to see a lot of PV on that tour though. The church visit was good. Find out about what the weather will be like when you visit because it was hot. One of the stops we made was in an area that has a lot of things to buy, and the weather made it perfect for me to visit a local store and buy a cold Pacifico on that stop. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

This is the first post since I've been back on the Carnival Mexican Riviera Cruise, and I remember you were asking about the Tequila Tasting tour. This is what I've learned:

2. There are over 2000 brands of tequila in the world. Finding out which one is the best is kind of like asking someone what's the best car out there.

3. The best tasting tequila, is the one you like the best.

4. Tequila by its very nature does not taste good right off the bat. There is a process and each distillery has it's own process to make it smooth. Some processes are similar to others.

This excursion takes you on a tour of one distillery, showing you how they make the tequila, what the process involved is, and how it gets from the plant to the bottle. They have their own brand. I actually did like it to be honest that I bought a few bottles. There was lunch served (all you can eat): Vegetarian and traditional Mexican beans, rice, chicken adobada. The show had traditional dances and they got the members of the tour involved. There was a part where there was a contest on who could scream like a Mexican after a shot of Tequila.

We were able to see a lot of PV on that tour though. The church visit was good. Find out about what the weather will be like when you visit because it was hot. One of the stops we made was in an area that has a lot of things to buy, and the weather made it perfect for me to visit a local store and buy a cold Pacifico on that stop. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thanks! What's the brand of Tequila? Sounds like the tour was fun. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

This story makes me think the level of corruption might be higher than I thought previously with respect to bad alcohol in Mexico:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08/14/mexico-raids-31-hot-spots-10000-gallons-illegal-alcohol-seized-after-womans-death-at-posh-resort.html

"About 36 percent of the alcohol consumed in Mexico is illegal, according to a recent report."

Another link referring to the story: http://www.businessinsider.com/tainted-alcohol-mexico

"In addition to potentially poisonous booze, the Mexican government also found unclean conditions at nineteen of the locations they searched. The lobby bar at the complex where Conner drowned was found to have water leakage, a lack of disinfectant, plus alcohol that was expired and unlabeled."

I still don't think many high-end bottles are being counterfeited and that is a safe way to drink in Mexico

Edited by SelectSys

Thanks! What's the brand of Tequila? Sounds like the tour was fun. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

They have a total of 6 bottles, 3 of them are the traditional Blanco, repasado, and anejo under the brand name Dona Engracia. The three others are enfused peach, almond, and coffee under the brand name Ketzally. Both brands have their symbol on it.

Can someone comment: the Blanco, repasado and anejo ones have a govt tax stamp but not the others, anything to worry about here? 8473f5cc3fb37f6f50b13c828da93151.jpg

Sent from my E5663 using Tapatalk

They have a total of 6 bottles, 3 of them are the traditional Blanco, repasado, and anejo under the brand name Dona Engracia. The three others are enfused peach, almond, and coffee under the brand name Ketzally. Both brands have their symbol on it.

Can someone comment: the Blanco, repasado and anejo ones have a govt tax stamp but not the others, anything to worry about here? 8473f5cc3fb37f6f50b13c828da93151.jpg

Sent from my E5663 using Tapatalk

Hacienda Dona Engracia is an established small distillery / tourist entrainment operation. They cater to the Vallarta resort and cruise tourist crowd. It's been in operation for nearly two decades. It has a high rating on TripAdvisor.

If you have any concerns about the quality of the product, send it to me as my supply is running low.

Enjoy!