New World Cafe for Dinner

sabrefan

Doing our first Viking cruise soon. We have sailed on Oceania a few times and enjoyed eating dinner a few times in Terrace Cafe which is their buffet restaurant. Just wondering about the food quality and service are like in Viking New World Cafe for dinner?

Doing our first Viking cruise soon. We have sailed on Oceania a few times and enjoyed eating dinner a few times in Terrace Cafe which is their buffet restaurant. Just wondering about the food quality and service are like in Viking New World Cafe for dinner?

Before cruising Viking Ocean we planned to eat mostly in The Restaurant and the 2 specialty restaurants, all of which we loved. Enjoyed the World Cafe so much that it became our most often used dinner spot. Selection is the widest and service is good.

We also ended up making the World Cafe our restaurant of choice. Manfredi's and Chef's Table were great and we thoroughly enjoyed our dinners there. The Restaurant was also very nice for those that prefer a longer meal with people a bit more dressed-up. But it's hard-to-beat the leisurely pace of the Cafe with great crab legs, sushi and entrees cooked to your preference. No big ship frenzy to grab food before it runs out. With the views in the fjords plus lots of other people doing the same, what more could one ask for? Into The Midnight Sun was fabulous!

Valerie

Does the World cafe offer beverage service at your table , or do you go get your own drinks?

We had the beverage package and were able to order any beverage. Without the package they will still provide beer and wine.

We had the beverage package and were able to order any beverage. Without the package they will still provide beer and wine.

Thank you for your reply.

We will have the silver spirit beverage package on our cruise too. I assume from your post ,the wait staff comes to your table for your beverage order.

We also ended up making the World Cafe our restaurant of choice. Manfredi's and Chef's Table were great and we thoroughly enjoyed our dinners there. The Restaurant was also very nice for those that prefer a longer meal with people a bit more dressed-up. But it's hard-to-beat the leisurely pace of the Cafe with great crab legs, sushi and entrees cooked to your preference. No big ship frenzy to grab food before it runs out. With the views in the fjords plus lots of other people doing the same, what more could one ask for? Into The Midnight Sun was fabulous!

Valerie

Because I have issues with portion control, I try to avoid the buffet-- way too much temptation. However, a couple of times a cruise, we will stop in the buffet for a seafood/sushi appetizer and then have a later dinner.

Edited by Peregrina651

The four of us also made the World Cafe our favorite dining area. Chef salads made for you at the salad area; at least 2 kinds of pizza always ready at the pizza spot. I liked being able to see the food selections and try a little of this and a little of that. The gelato was wonderful. The staff kept the buffet replenished very quickly. There was a very big selection of foods there.

The four of us also made the World Cafe our favorite dining area. Chef salads made for you at the salad area; at least 2 kinds of pizza always ready at the pizza spot. I liked being able to see the food selections and try a little of this and a little of that. The gelato was wonderful. The staff kept the buffet replenished very quickly. There was a very big selection of foods there.

You could actually try a little of this and that at The restaurant as well. Many times looking at the menu we were torn what to choose. We asked if it's possible to have a little of several dishes. "Aah, small portions! Of course!"

The soup came in small cups, the rest on the small plates-yummy!

The buffet is very convenient especially after all day in the town when you want quick bite and go to relax. Being on the deck 7 it offers spectacular view. The food and service were good as well. It's funny to admit that we ate smaller portions (less food in total) in the buffet than in restaurant :).

Because I have issues with portion control, I try to avoid the buffet-- way too much temptation. However, a couple of times a cruise, we will stop in the buffet for a seafood/sushi appetizer and then have a later dinner.

Slightly embarrassed to share this tale, but one evening we had reservations at the Chef's Table for around 8 or so. We happened to notice that the World Cafe was serving Beef Wellington, my husband's all time favorite food. We didn't want to cancel our Chef's Table visit, so at 5 o'clock, we went to the World Cafe and had carved to order portions of the Beef Wellington as an appetizer! Then we took a couple of turns around the walking track before we went back to change for dinner. What a vacation!

Slightly embarrassed to share this tale, but one evening we had reservations at the Chef's Table for around 8 or so. We happened to notice that the World Cafe was serving Beef Wellington, my husband's all time favorite food. We didn't want to cancel our Chef's Table visit, so at 5 o'clock, we went to the World Cafe and had carved to order portions of the Beef Wellington as an appetizer! Then we took a couple of turns around the walking track before we went back to change for dinner. What a vacation!

Very creative solution. You should change your moniker. :)

vnb2003, that's good to know about small portions being a possibility in the main restaurant in order to sample several dishes. Will have to remember that on our Viking Empires of the Mediterranean in May!!

vnb2003, that's good to know about small portions being a possibility in the main restaurant in order to sample several dishes. Will have to remember that on our Viking Empires of the Mediterranean in May!!

You will love it :)

We loved the World Cafe and yes there was table service for beverages and we just had the included beer and wine. The Restaurant was good but it took a very very long time because we did like to share a table...but sometimes over 2 hours was too much. Loved Manfredi's and ate there I think 6 or 7 times?? We were onboard for 3 weeks. The World Cafe was so so good...I have never eaten at a buffet so often (or ever for dinner) on a cruise. And we could join others if we wanted, there were large tables as well. Loved the made to order salads too, as well as the big variety. The menu on your TV shows what is available in the venues each night so you can choose where you want to go.

We loved the World Cafe and yes there was table service for beverages and we just had the included beer and wine. The Restaurant was good but it took a very very long time because we did like to share a table...but sometimes over 2 hours was too much. Loved Manfredi's and ate there I think 6 or 7 times?? We were onboard for 3 weeks. The World Cafe was so so good...I have never eaten at a buffet so often (or ever for dinner) on a cruise. And we could join others if we wanted, there were large tables as well. Loved the made to order salads too, as well as the big variety. The menu on your TV shows what is available in the venues each night so you can choose where you want to go.

That's a great tip about checking the menu on your TV before you chose where to go for dinner. Or maybe it's just fun to see what they're serving! Thanks for all the information.

Yup, a few times when we looked at the Restaurant menu we decided we'd be better off in the World Cafe....and, despite it being mostly a buffet I think we are less there. We could pick and choose and didn't eat bread while waiting for our salad etc

Having taken 23 ocean cruises before Viking Homelands trip, I did not expect to have dinner at the World Café as often as we did. Everything that was available in the dining room was available at the World Café, and if you ordered a steak or one of the entrees, they prepared it on the spot. There were crab legs, shrimp and prawns every evening, and specialty evenings with a chef preparing fish stew, paella, crepes suzette and cherries jubilee on deck or in the rear section of World Café. We loved it!