Guarantee bookings

Les Picantins

What is the actual policy on guarantee (GTY) bookings? Last week when I booked my first cruise on Viking Oceans, I asked my TA to reserve a cabin category PV3 GTY. This is what I generally do on other cruise lines, I book in the lowest category that I would be satisfied with and hope for the best.

Unfortunately my TA informed me that the request for a GTY was not possible as they are not practiced by VO. I went ahead with the booking by cabin number (supposedly the last available cabin in the category as well as the furthest forward), as the option expired in 24 hours.

Since then I have read a number of posts regarding the reality of GTY bookings on Viking and am rather disappointed. Furthermore the Viking website went from stating "only one cabin left" to "limited availability" for PV3 category. I have been using the same TA in Monaco for several years who has never had a problem getting me a GTY reservation. Has the policy changed? If so, could this all be related to the recent thread titled "pricing policy change"? Are they trying to push us into making direct bookings with them?

What is the actual policy on guarantee (GTY) bookings? Last week when I booked my first cruise on Viking Oceans, I asked my TA to reserve a cabin category PV3 GTY. This is what I generally do on other cruise lines, I book in the lowest category that I would be satisfied with and hope for the best.

Unfortunately my TA informed me that the request for a GTY was not possible as they are not practiced by VO. I went ahead with the booking by cabin number (supposedly the last available cabin in the category as well as the furthest forward), as the option expired in 24 hours.

Since then I have read a number of posts regarding the reality of GTY bookings on Viking and am rather disappointed. Furthermore the Viking website went from stating "only one cabin left" to "limited availability" for PV3 category. I have been using the same TA in Monaco for several years who has never had a problem getting me a GTY reservation. Has the policy changed? If so, could this all be related to the recent thread titled "pricing policy change"? Are they trying to push us into making direct bookings with them?

I can understand the misunderstanding. GTY booking does exist but only for V2 and DV6. Since you wanted a PV cabin, it was necessary to book by the cabin number.

Thank you for shedding light on the GTY policy. I guess my TA was only given a half answer.

What still is puzzling is the fact that I booked the only cabin available in the PV3 category and now it is listed as limited availability.

Regardless, at least I feel better about my booking and am looking forward to trying a new cruise line.

Viking does offer GTY rooms in the PV category. I contacted Viking directly to inquire about a Mediterranean cruise, the agent offered me a PV1 GTY; I put a hold on this and still have a copy of the booking. I didn't book this cruise but went with a different Med cruise and booked at V2 GTY.

My impression with the GTY option is: if there are cabins available in higher categories Viking will offer GTYs to entice people to book the cruise at the lower price just to fill the ship. For the PV1 GTY I mention above, there were no cabin available in lower categories but there were cabins in all the Suite categories. I believe if we had booked this cruise and Viking didn't sell those suites we would have moved up.

Go online and look at what is still available on your cruise in higher cabins - that will give you an idea of your chance of an upgrade. Also note Viking sells multiple levels of GTYs on the same cruise. On our Med V2 GTY we met a couple who booked at a DV GTY. So my impression is all GTYs would move up depending on which GTY level you are booked in: PV GTYs would get access to suites if available and then DV GTYS would get access to PV, etc. The DV GTY couple got a PV1 room and we got a PV3 room (our cruise was not full I think there were 750 on board).

Of course watch out, once you are in a PV room on Viking with all the drawer space, extra room size and mini fridge liquor restocked daily - it's hard to think about going back to a lower room! We did book our next cruise in a PV room, heading out in two weeks!

Of course watch out, once you are in a PV room on Viking with all the drawer space, extra room size and mini fridge liquor restocked daily - it's hard to think about going back to a lower room! We did book our next cruise in a PV room, heading out in two weeks!

Yes, Viking has spoiled my wife and is costing me $. :mad:

Viking does offer GTY rooms in the PV category. I contacted Viking directly to inquire about a Mediterranean cruise, the agent offered me a PV1 GTY; I put a hold on this and still have a copy of the booking. I didn't book this cruise but went with a different Med cruise and booked at V2 GTY.

My impression with the GTY option is: if there are cabins available in higher categories Viking will offer GTYs to entice people to book the cruise at the lower price just to fill the ship. For the PV1 GTY I mention above, there were no cabin available in lower categories but there were cabins in all the Suite categories. I believe if we had booked this cruise and Viking didn't sell those suites we would have moved up.

Go online and look at what is still available on your cruise in higher cabins - that will give you an idea of your chance of an upgrade. Also note Viking sells multiple levels of GTYs on the same cruise. On our Med V2 GTY we met a couple who booked at a DV GTY. So my impression is all GTYs would move up depending on which GTY level you are booked in: PV GTYs would get access to suites if available and then DV GTYS would get access to PV, etc. The DV GTY couple got a PV1 room and we got a PV3 room (our cruise was not full I think there were 750 on board).

If I'm understanding this correctly, another passenger booked in a DV6 category GTY can eventually end up with a better located PV cabin than I have, regardless of the fact that I paid much more and was denied a GTY booking in a PV category. That doesn't sit right with me.

Edited by Les Picantins
Quote unclear

If I'm understanding this correctly, another passenger booked in a DV6 category GTY can eventually end up with a better located PV cabin than I have, regardless of the fact that I paid much more and was denied a GTY booking in a PV category. That doesn't sit right with me.

Megadittos