neoRomantica Stateroom Coffee Machine

Bill B

Coffee and water machines are not available all day in the buffet as they are on American lines. But despite the stated policy to the contrary, they allowed us to bring on one or two bottles of water or soft drinks when returning after port stops. The cabin steward brought us ice every day at our request, so that is how we solved our hydration problem.

The NeoRomantica also had "tea" every afternoon at 3 p.m., which included a wide assortment of teas and coffee. And I believe you can use room service at no charge--but check that before you do.

Hot (and cold) water from the tap was fine to drink. Tea bags were available at the buffet that you could take back to your cabin, and we had single serving instant coffee bags we had taken with us (rather than bothering with a coffee maker).

There was always some question about water in the dining room (not the buffet). I think it depended on the waiter. Some would serve you bottled water at no charge, but we found we could always get iced tap water in a glass.

A note of caution on Costa: do not expect the same level of service that you get on the American lines. However, to us, being on an Italian line and quite in the minority made our cruises all the more interesting. We did 31 days on the NeoRomantica last fall and enjoyed it immensely. Not to say there were not problems! One to be prepared for is that your pre-booked shore excursions may be cancelled because there are not enough English speakers who signed up for the trip. If you are going to the Baltic, this shouldn't be a problem but it can be in the Mediterranean and on any cruise that departs from Italy.

We have only ever been on the NeoR and the Magica - They are worlds apart. Like two different cruiselines.

Can you elaborate? We went on the NeoRomantica last fall and are doing the Magica this fall. Fortunately we have a premium balcony...hope that will help.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Do they not take food and drink off you at embarkation? That's what I've been led to believe.

They quote hygene as reason for banning/confiscating food. I will kill for a decent Penang Laksa (uses tamarind, so sharper in taste than the Singapore version). In Kotakinabalu a couple of years ago I found a café/take away - Sri Penang -selling Penang Laksa. So I bought a take away and, being banned from bringing it on board, sat at the foot of the gangplank scoffing this delicious dish. Watched with amusement by folk on board as I had really to gobble it up as preparations were made to hoist the gang plank.

Edited by kasuku
typo

We're on the neo Romantica in November for 16 nights and would love to have access to our own tea and coffee making. Can anyone confirm the actual type of coffee machines on board so we can buy some pods before we go. Thanks

Having just got off the neo Romantica (waiting at Nice airport to fly home), I can confirm that they are Illy machines of a sort I have never seen before. If you want to buy the pods on board, they are €1.50 each.

Having just got off the neo Romantica (waiting at Nice airport to fly home), I can confirm that they are Illy machines of a sort I have never seen before. If you want to buy the pods on board, they are €1.50 each.

You can buy the pods (Nespresso) for 5 Euro for sixteen in all the supermarkets where we live (Bulgaria).

You can buy the pods (Nespresso) for 5 Euro for sixteen in all the supermarkets where we live (Bulgaria).

I agree you can buy Nespresso pods everywhere, but it wasn't a Nespresso machine but an Illy machine. I think it was this one - http://www.illy.com/wps/wcm/connect/en/coffee-at-home/capsules-coffee-machine-y3-iperespresso

If you know that Nespresso pods fit an Illy Y3 machine, then that is great, but my experience is the pods for one manufacturer's machines don't fit any other manufacturer's machines.

I agree you can buy Nespresso pods everywhere, but it wasn't a Nespresso machine but an Illy machine. I think it was this one - http://www.illy.com/wps/wcm/connect/en/coffee-at-home/capsules-coffee-machine-y3-iperespresso

If you know that Nespresso pods fit an Illy Y3 machine, then that is great, but my experience is the pods for one manufacturer's machines don't fit any other manufacturer's machines.

Understood. I was just making the point of how expensive it is to buy pods on board.

If you are in a premium cabin, pick up the phone and ask for coffee?

It depends on what kind of coffee you want to drink because the Illy coffee machine in the cabin makes only the espresso, while the room service has american coffee or decaf for free if you have a premium cabin, but it doesn't have the espresso