Opinion on going solo on Norwegian Jewel in May

HowardK

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had gone on the Norwegian Jewel solo, from NYC to the Bahamas? I like the idea of the freestyle dining and I don't want to have my day revolving around a fixed dining time.

Also, I was wondering if people thought it might be worth an extra $500 for a balcony. The reason being, if I am solo and want to just relax, I would have the extra space.

I have a week off of vacation in May, and normally spend it in NYC seeing concerts/shows, but would like to do something different.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had gone on the Norwegian Jewel solo, from NYC to the Bahamas? I like the idea of the freestyle dining and I don't want to have my day revolving around a fixed dining time.

Also, I was wondering if people thought it might be worth an extra $500 for a balcony. The reason being, if I am solo and want to just relax, I would have the extra space.

I have a week off of vacation in May, and normally spend it in NYC seeing concerts/shows, but would like to do something different.

I haven't gone on Jewel (yet, that is), but have gone on quite a few solos. I love the NCL choice of freestyle dining simply because I do not like to be tied down to a particular time of when I should eat. Who knows what you did during the day and how ready you will be to go to the dining room, right?

As for the additional expense travelling solo and having a balcony, for me it is worth extra money to be able to have my own private area morning, noon or night where I can just chill out in peace. You are the one who has to decide how much you want to spend. How much would those concerts in NYC be for you? I am sure the expense would even itself out.

If you have the time and the $$ go for it and have a wonderful cruise.

I have done 4 solo NCL cruises and enjoyed every minute. I don't bother with a balcony on European, port centric itineraries, since I only use the cabin to shower and crash. However, on warm weather, lots of days at sea itineraries, the balcony is a definite plus.

Did 42 days in 07 on Jewel, half as solo; 2 TAs plus Egypt. Loved the staff. I was treated like gold. It was fun to choose a different restaurant each night. We were on the floor with the reservation table. All menus inc. MDR were out at 8AM. You then made your nitely res. Liked Le Bistro and the Italian one best. Weather permitting you could dine outside at Italian. I see Jewel is relocating to NYC. I live across from MIA port and see her weekly sitting out in first berth. Will miss her. To me, would rather do more cruises than one pricey balcony.

Hi, thanks for your replies. I am probably going to book sometime between now and April. - I was wondering could you tell me where you saw the 7N for $449- I assume there would still be a supplement which is fine.

On another note, I saw the 5 night Bermuda in April for $550 for 1 person- looks like a great deal, but my boss who goes on cruises said it is not warm then

NCL has a grat late book discount program. These are Miami based cruises. NYC ones (to me), do not feature as interesting ports. Looking at NCL.com site you can do Pearl or Jewel for $369/379. I would imagine closer to May NYC. pricing will be similar. These prices are for double bookings .NCL isnt very kind to single cabin occupants so expect to pay double by yourself, treat a buddy or offer to pay half of OPs tab.

I must be the only solo traveler who does not like NCL. I hate eating alone and NCL does not seat you with anyone even if you ask. Even when my husband was alive and we did NCL together, we still wanted to have table talk and that just didn't happen. If you are a "loner" and really want to be by yourself, go NCL; otherwise, I suggest another line.

Rosemary

• 2 weeks later...

I love NCL, but not as a solo traveler. Why they don't sit you with other people, I don't know. I am going on a 9 nighter this month but have a dive buddy/cruise mate.

I won't go NCL solo unless I get a killer deal. I meet lots of people, but I like to do what I want when I want and if I see someone that is going to dinner then that would be o.k., but so far I haven't, so I go with RCCI as they sit you at a large table.

terri

I did a solo out of NYC on Dawn and when I went to dinner, they asked if I wanted to join others or sit by myself on a few occassions in the main dining room. In the restaurants for dinner, I kept being seated at a large table by myself after the maitre de asked if I minded if others could join me (of course I said yes, why not!) By the end of a 6 night cruise - I had people who would stop me during the day and ask what restaurant I was dining at and could they join me, solos and couples. They described it as the "fun" table!:D

Archived