Laundry questions

Smiggles

We'll be sailing on the Shadow next week, and as I pack, I have some questions about laundry. I know that we can do our own on the Shadow. Questions: what does it cost? Does the machine take cards or do I need to bring change? What's the best time to do your laundry? We're first time cruisers, so please forgive these mundane questions.

Also detergent is gratis.

I always use dryer sheets when packing so clothes smell fresh.

In the past before we earned free laundry, I have also used them in the dryer aboard ship on the clothes I want wrinkle free.

There is a clothesline in the bathroom which can be used to dry delicates.

We found one of the best times to do laundry is during meal time

TBH I have found this problematic as people have loaded a washer and then left. They seem to think you should be moving their clothes into a dryer

Not something i would do as we all have personal preferences re how the clothes should be dried

I am more than happy to empty your clothes for the washer but I won't take the responsibility for drying so if you choose dinner time be prepared to leave the table and do the shirt

TBH I have found this problematic as people have loaded a washer and then left. They seem to think you should be moving their clothes into a dryer

Not something i would do as we all have personal preferences re how the clothes should be dried

I am more than happy to empty your clothes for the washer but I won't take the responsibility for drying so if you choose dinner time be prepared to leave the table and do the shirt

That is exactly what we used to do. We had it timed pretty well, and it only took a few minutes away from the meal. Thankfully, we now have free laundry.

Use of the machines is free. You only pay if you send clothes to the laundry.

Jane Forums[/url]

Is this also the same on the Explorer? We'll be on for 30days, and obviously can not take clothes for that long, so will need to wash several times! Thank you.

I would consider bringoing some detergent packages form home. The detergent provided might not be the quaility that you would use at home.

We'll be sailing on the Shadow next week, and as I pack, I have some questions about laundry. I know that we can do our own on the Shadow. Questions: what does it cost? Does the machine take cards or do I need to bring change? What's the best time to do your laundry? We're first time cruisers, so please forgive these mundane questions.

I believe that the detergent onboard complies with ecological restrictions for the sea.

Detergent from home does not.

I pack my own and do not use the ships. Also, pack Bounce. I've noticed a few high ranking staff buying their own detergent on shore, so that might be a clue as to what they're feeding the general population. But go ahead and use their detergent.....it's free!

Dear old and ornery,

There are no packages to buy.

I wish I had snagged a laundry list so I could share it with you.

Maybe someone who is going aboard in the next few days could take a picture of it to share.

I don't remember the prices, probably because I don't pay for laundry anymore.

I seem to recall it was a little pricey.

Thank you.

I was afraid of that. This will be our first cruise with SS even though we are very experienced cruisers with HAL and Princess. For many years we have sailed in suites that have provided free unlimited laundry and cleaning services for fares substantially less than we will be paying for a deluxe veranda on the Muse. I also understand that if we moved up one category the fare would include the laundry service. However, if I remember correctly, the fare would be some $4,000 per person higher. I don't think the laundry service will come close to that.

Ernie,

I don't know about laundry prices on the Muse. I know that the higher level suites like the Silver and up on other vessels in the fleet get complimentary laundry (in addition to other perks). If you have a travel agent maybe they could get that info for you, or at least let you know prices that are current.

But I agree, I don't think the laundry would come to 4K per person.

We have used the free laundry machines on the Wind, Cloud, and Explorer a lot. The free laundry soap works fine. Our next cruise with SS will put us over 100 days, so we'll hopefully not have to worry about it too much longer. Free laundry does make packing so much easier!

On Silver Explorer, we always book suite 427. It's the closest to the laundry room, which is important as there are only two machines. And it's a pretty nice suite for other reasons too...it's closest to the dining room, for example. :D

On our first Silver Explorer cruise, this suite was in a category that included unlimited free (send-out) laundry. On the next two, it did not. Worked well either way, though obviously easier the first way.

Edited by jpalbny