What to pack for 7 days Mediterranean end of Oct

magwun

I don't want to overpack, but at the same time, I want to be appropriately dressed on and off the ship. I've looked at the seasonal temps in Rome and Barcelona (3 days beginning and ending ports) but that doesn't necessarily reflect the temperatures on the water. Struggling whether to even bother to bring a swimsuit, for example. If anyone has any cruise experience for this location at this time of year I'd appreciate the advice.

You just never know. Could be cool and rainy or you might have sunny weather and it could be warm. Take the swimsuit to be on the safe side.

Even day to day the weather can vary as we have experienced.

A swimsuit doesn't take up much space.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I will bring the swimsuit "just in case". As you said, I'm thinking too the weather could be warm or cold, so gosh, I'm struggling with the thought of everything from jackets to sweaters, which do take up space and weight, not to mention dressy clothing for dress nights. I guess I will have to be very clever and creative.

Edited by magwun

Your question is like asking what to pack for end of October in Oklahoma ! The weather could literally be anything from warm, almost hot, and sunny to cold and wet and everything in between. That time of year is unpredictable, but I would definitely bring a rain jacket.

Magwun: October is so unpredictable! Been to Med in October(both first part and last part)for past 3 years, and experienced cool weather to shorts weather.I found taking light layers worked for me. I would take(or wear)a sweater,& a light raincoat too. My travel pants(zip off legs)gave me options.For my 2 week trip last year I took my travel pants for day, dressy slacks for dinners, roll up skirt that can also be worn as dress with a cropped jacket(denim), 3 t's(1 long sleeve),1 dressier top, wore comfortable jeans, a T,hoodie sweater and heaviest shoes. I also brought several scarves to change the look, and a shawl(wrap to wear over anything if it's cool,or A/C strong, ). For late Oct, I also took a silkie liner to wear under everything without the weight or bulk. Hope this gives you some ideas!

Rachel, just like Michigan too, lol. I know it's a futile effort. I never seem to have the right things with me when I go on vacation.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Sparty1 - that is just the information I was looking for. Today I was looking at an oversized cashmere scarf/wrap that I thought would work for the airplane and even the balcony of the cabin. I like the idea of the silk cami too. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the med. Its almost always summer dresses, shorts/capris and T shirts in daytime until around mid November. Evenings you will need sleeves and a jacket or a wrap from mid October. Do take a swimsuit - the end of Oct should still be pleasantly warm in the daytime. By mid/end Oct I still need a hat if I go out. It can be a lovely time of year because the humidity drops off. Last year plenty of people were still swimming in the sea throughout November.

Hope this helps.

Marama, that helps a lot! I live in the Midwestern part of the US and by the end of Oct everyone is bundled up in hats and jackets. I didn't know if I should bring a more summery wardrobe with me. I appreciate your reply.

I've just noticed you will be cruising Rome to Barcelona. That part of the med can cool just a little earlier than where we are further south in Malta. However if you add in some long sleeved T's and a jacket/lightweight sweater to throw over things you should be fine. It's a lovely coast - have fun!