Newbie Question

MarciAnn

I am a Seabourn cruiser having been on five Seabourn cruises and loved them all. Silverseas has an itinerary to Thailand and Vietnam on the Shadow that is of interest to us and is 11 days versus the 14 days itinerary on Seabourn, which is a bit longer than we wanted to cruise.

In reading all your reviews and comments it seems like the Shadow is tired and in need of refurbishment. I would be greatly disappointed if the ship was in need of repair with stained carpet in the staterooms, etc. I have also been reading a lot about poor service and food.

Will I be disappointed on the Shadow? Has anyone done the 11 day Vietnam and Thailand cruise who could comment?

I too am an avid Seabourn cruiser (Diamond member) but have also sailed Silversea many times. I was on a 15 day Thailand/Viet Nam cruise on the Shadow this past spring and also chose it for the itinerary and timing. I agree the Shadow needs a renovation but basically she is in good shape for her age though she is nothing like the new Seabourn ships. What more than made up for that is the superb service we received on board, I was really impressed at how warm and friendly and accommodating each and every crew member was. The food...not so much. Still you will enjoy yourself.

Thanks Wripro, but we have decided to stick with the Seabourn cruise. Why take the risk when Seabourn is a sure thing! Only thing that concerns me is that only A1 available, verandas sold out and I am not sure I will like that. Your thoughts?

May I put in my thoughts here, if you don't mind. Also a Diamond SB member, and we have travelled in A1 (towards the back of them) a few times. If you are in very hot and humid weather you might not mind the lack of a balcony, and otherwise the suite is identical and quiet, as they have their own little corridor on each side away from the main route. We have done Silversea a few times, but not for several years, as we much prefer Seabourn. (Sorry, Silversea enthusiasts!)

Thanks Wripro, but we have decided to stick with the Seabourn cruise. Why take the risk when Seabourn is a sure thing! Only thing that concerns me is that only A1 available, verandas sold out and I am not sure I will like that. Your thoughts?

As long as it's and A1 and not an A. Those are the suites I'd avoid at all cost because they're around a bend in the corridor and too far forward above the anchors.

If A1 is all that's left take it and enjoy, Also consider having your TA put you on a waiting list for any verandah suite cancellations.