Formal night (for man)

Serengeti228

1. How many formal nights do Costa 14N transatlantic cruise or 21N repositioning cruise usually have? For some cruise companies, it is common to have 2 formal nights over a 7-day cruise.

2. Do most or perhaps 50/50 of the Costa male passengers wear suit or at least suit jacket for formal nights in repositioning or transatlantic cruises?

3. Are there any theme nights? such as white, black, red, topical, etc...

Thanks.

Normal formal nights are one a week but not always, each cruise will have one Italian night Green red & white, three formals over a two/three week cruise. The trend is towards less formal dress although I would say at least 20% still wear a tux but of later years the trend is certainly downward, more is the pity. In February on the Pacifica two men were turned away from entering the D.R. for not wear a jacket but think that was rare.

As someone who likes dressing for dinner I will still always wear my tux I think it shows respect to my wife and the other Ladies at the table.

1. How many formal nights do Costa 14N transatlantic cruise or 21N repositioning cruise usually have? For some cruise companies, it is common to have 2 formal nights over a 7-day cruise.

2. Do most or perhaps 50/50 of the Costa male passengers wear suit or at least suit jacket for formal nights in repositioning or transatlantic cruises?

3. Are there any theme nights? such as white, black, red, topical, etc...

Thanks.

Intersting question. On my 7 days Diadema cruise I actually enjoyed the wide range of styles from some men in tux to some in Tshirt and Hoody. I fear on my 20 day repo cruise it will be more on the conservative side.

I‘ve spent three weeks on the Favolosa earlier this year. This cruise was split in one week Caribbean and two weeks Transatlantic. During the first week we had two formal nights and during the Transatlantic three. Women much more followed the dress code than men did, I even saw a women with a very pompous ballroom-type robe accompanied by a man with a T-shirt. Even men in shorts were not hindered getting into the MDR, although this is according to Costa during all evenings a no-go. But by most the Gala “advice” (Costa describes it as an advice) was followed-up in some way. Mainly among the Italians, but also a lot of the other Europeans, you won’t find that many men in a typical American style tux, but presenting themselves in something different - but surely not less elegant. Yes, some kind of jacket was a very common sight.

Besides formal nights and the white and Italian nights tenpin already mentioned we had the theme “colourful Caribbean”. These themes were much less followed-up than the formal nights were.

During the first week we had two formal nights and during the Transatlantic three. Women much more followed the dress code than men did, I even saw a women with a very pompous ballroom-type robe accompanied by a man with a T-shirt. Even men in shorts were not hindered getting into the MDR, although this is according to Costa during all evenings a no-go. But by most the Gala “advice” (Costa describes it as an advice) was followed-up in some way. Mainly among the Italians, but also a lot of the other Europeans, you won’t find that many men in a typical American style tux, but presenting themselves in something different - but surely not less elegant. Yes, some kind of jacket was a very common sight.

Thank you. Always good to hear some first hand experience.