Be Wary of Smith's Car Service in London

rheasue38

The Underground from Heathrow can be a bearpit, particularly so if you have an amount of luggage. But it will be the cheapest option.

More expensive, but generally less crowded, is the rail option - the Heathrow Express into Paddington, then cab. Price can be as low as £5.50 but is generally £22, according the website.

I do not see how anyone can spend many thousands of dollars on a cruise and then cheap out on the transport to the hotel or the cruise pier. Sounds crazy or just me. :(:(

Maybe it's crazy, but we've been crazy before. Not recently however!

From Heathrow we have several times taken the tube to Victoria, and then a cab (or a walk) to our hotel. The last time -- a few years ago -- young men saw that we were now older folks and helped us get our luggage up and down the stairs and no one stole anything!

But it IS an easy and inexpensive way to get into town. It also can depend on where you are staying. The last time we used the tubes to get to Victoria, we were staying in the vicinity.

The very few times that we transferred to or from Southampton or Dover we used car services.

We have met friends on Oceania who sail in lower end cabins but book five star hotels. We tend to book higher end cabins and book three star hotels. And depending on where we are, we'll use a cab or public transit to get where we need to go. We all decide how we want to do it.

Exactly WHAT IS the point of these posts, anyway? Are we to assume that just because one person had one "bad" experience that means everyone else will have the same experience? And the whole "they use 'foreign' drivers" thing? So? Does that mean there is a higher likelihood that those "foreign" drivers are going to get lost?

And then there's the whole what "they should have done" thing. A lot of times it is what the person complaining probably "should have done" that would have made a difference IMO. I mean who gets a car service from a ship to an airport on a departure day and thinks there is never, ever going to be a delay? With traffic? With a breakdown? Lucky not to have had a mishap? How about smart enough to know they happen and possibly avoid it by flying out a day later?

exactly what is the point of these posts, anyway? Are we to assume that just because one person had one "bad" experience that means everyone else will have the same experience? And the whole "they use 'foreign' drivers" thing? So? Does that mean there is a higher likelihood that those "foreign" drivers are going to get lost?

And then there's the whole what "they should have done" thing. A lot of times it is what the person complaining probably "should have done" that would have made a difference imo. I mean who gets a car service from a ship to an airport on a departure day and thinks there is never, ever going to be a delay? With traffic? With a breakdown? Lucky not to have had a mishap? How about smart enough to know they happen and possibly avoid it by flying out a day later?

plus one !!!

Exactly WHAT IS the point of these posts, anyway? Are we to assume that just because one person had one "bad" experience that means everyone else will have the same experience? And the whole "they use 'foreign' drivers" thing? So? Does that mean there is a higher likelihood that those "foreign" drivers are going to get lost?

And then there's the whole what "they should have done" thing. A lot of times it is what the person complaining probably "should have done" that would have made a difference IMO. I mean who gets a car service from a ship to an airport on a departure day and thinks there is never, ever going to be a delay? With traffic? With a breakdown? Lucky not to have had a mishap? How about smart enough to know they happen and possibly avoid it by flying out a day later?

Personally I'd tend to ask what the point of this post is. It appears that you think the conversation should go the way you perceive things and others thoughts and experiences are obviously wrong.

I do not see how anyone can spend many thousands of dollars on a cruise and then cheap out on the transport to the hotel or the cruise pier. Sounds crazy or just me. :(:(

I don't think it's crazy to want to spend your money on what's important to you. For a lot of people (myself included), transportation is where they can save a few bucks, so why not, if it works and they're happy with it?

Personally I'd tend to ask what the point of this post is. It appears that you think the conversation should go the way you perceive things and others thoughts and experiences are obviously wrong.

That was my impression as well.

I don't think it's crazy to want to spend your money on what's important to you. For a lot of people (myself included), transportation is where they can save a few bucks, so why not, if it works and they're happy with it?

+1

We were going to take the bus from Southampton to LHR & stay at Premier Inn in SOU after the cruise

Some people here would think we were crazy I guess :eek:

+1

We were going to take the bus from Southampton to LHR & stay at Premier Inn in SOU after the cruise

Maybe using the word crazy was a little too strong but either way I think we have gotten off topic. I think the OP was giving us a heads up about a car service they used, not if they should use a car service at all. Each to his own.

Maybe it's crazy, but we've been crazy before. Not recently however!

From Heathrow we have several times taken the tube to Victoria, and then a cab (or a walk) to our hotel. The last time -- a few years ago -- young men saw that we were now older folks and helped us get our luggage up and down the stairs and no one stole anything!

But it IS an easy and inexpensive way to get into town. It also can depend on where you are staying. The last time we used the tubes to get to Victoria, we were staying in the vicinity.

The very few times that we transferred to or from Southampton or Dover we used car services.

We have met friends on Oceania who sail in lower end cabins but book five star hotels. We tend to book higher end cabins and book three star hotels. And depending on where we are, we'll use a cab or public transit to get where we need to go. We all decide how we want to do it.

My friend and I did the same a couple of years ago when we were staying near the British Museum. The Underground to a highly rated, but modest small hotel backing the museum. With London prices, you would be getting a 5 star in many places in the world :o. But still highly acceptable.

As much as anything else, I like to challenge ourselves to do this. I can see in the future, we might not be able to.:(

And then an adventure by train to Southampton to catch our ship.

Mia

+1

Back on our Dover-Southampton cruise on Renaissance in May 2001 we took the bus from LHR to Dover and found it very convenient. The problem was schlepping the luggage, which is the main reason we don't do this any more. We're rather older now than we were back then! But the price was right ... about 35 GBP for both of us. That was then, of course ...

We all choose how we want to spent our money and where we want to spend it. We tend to buy higher level cruise accommodations and lower level hotels. We will take a cab rather than a ship transfer. We have friends who do the opposite! So what?

For those who don't mind the difficulty with luggage, the National Bus Service is an excellent approach.

When we transferred FROM Southampton last July, we shared a van with another couple (it was supposed to be two other couples but the third couple left the ship early due to a medical emergency). That was economical when divided three ways (couple #3 insisted on paying for their share even though I told them they didn't need to) and preferable to the bus ... NOW. Plus we got delivered to our respective hotels rather than a central location which would then require a cab. (Not that THAT is bad!)

Mura

Back on our Dover-Southampton cruise on Renaissance in May 2001 we took the bus from LHR to Dover and found it very convenient. The problem was schlepping the luggage, which is the main reason we don't do this any more. We're rather older now than we were back then! But the price was right ... about 35 GBP for both of us. That was then, of course ...

We all choose how we want to spent our money and where we want to spend it. We tend to buy higher level cruise accommodations and lower level hotels. We will take a cab rather than a ship transfer. We have friends who do the opposite! So what?

For those who don't mind the difficulty with luggage, the National Bus Service is an excellent approach.

When we transferred FROM Southampton last July, we shared a van with another couple (it was supposed to be two other couples but the third couple left the ship early due to a medical emergency). That was economical when divided three ways (couple #3 insisted on paying for their share even though I told them they didn't need to) and preferable to the bus ... NOW. Plus we got delivered to our respective hotels rather than a central location which would then require a cab. (Not that THAT is bad!)

Mura

Good or you, just more than we have any interest in doing. We want a driver with a sigh and a car waiting for us. Not for everyone, but the way we always do it. :):):)

Um, didn't I indicate that it's many years since we went the bus route? These days we get the driver with the sign as well ... Once or twice in recent years we did take the tube from LHR to Victoria, but that was when our hotel was a short walk away. But from Southampton or Dover, we've been using a private service.

Just used Smith's for LHR to cruise pier in Southampton and then back again 3 weeks later. Both times drivers were waiting with a sign (although I like the idea as RJB says that they were waiting with a sigh), both were very British, and both knew the way. Got off Marina at 8:45 (exactly when we were scheduled) and walked into the American terminal at 10:20.

I'll use them again if I take another cruise out of Southampton.

Just used Smith's for LHR to cruise pier in Southampton and then back again 3 weeks later. Both times drivers were waiting with a sign (althoug like the idea as RJB says that they were waiting with a sigh), both were very British, and both knew the way. Got off Marina at 8:45 (exactly when we were scheduled) and walked into the American terminal at 10:20.

One of these days I will learn to spell or to prof read or both before I post. I hope. :):)

Just used Smith's for LHR to cruise pier in Southampton and then back again 3 weeks later. Both times drivers were waiting with a sign (although I like the idea as RJB says that they were waiting with a sigh), both were very British, and both knew the way. Got off Marina at 8:45 (exactly when we were scheduled) and walked into the American terminal at 10:20.

Good to hear a positive report.

I guess I could maybe work a job like that. I sigh for no reason, my wife thinks there's something wrong, but I'm just a sigher.

We have had five pickups with Smiths in the UK over the past two years - all were excellent! Drivers were prompt, knew exactly where our pickup & destinations were located, friendly and pleasant.

Pickups included Southampton to London, London to Heathrow, Bath to Heathrow etc.

We had very positive experiences with Smith's online in advance (quirky requests) and the scheduled pickups. No problems, all smooth & efficient. I would use Smith's without hesitation next time we are in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...