Bear Watching - Icy Strait Point

Gadget 1004

Great question, I just came across the possibility of bear hunting in Hoonah last night. Teck doesn't seem to have a website anymore.

We will be in ISP on 28th June, what about you? We are concerned that is too early in the season?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Great question, I just came across the possibility of bear hunting in Hoonah last night. Teck doesn't seem to have a website anymore.

We will be in ISP on 28th June, what about you? We are concerned that is too early in the season?

We will be in ISP on Monday, August 14. I think TECK has gone out of business. A tour company in ISP suggested we use Brown Bear Lodge. I sent email to the lodge asking questions and haven't received a reply yet.

We will be in ISP on Monday, August 14. I think TECK has gone out of business. A tour company in ISP suggested we use Brown Bear Lodge. I sent email to the lodge asking questions and haven't received a reply yet.

Have you tried calling them? If I need specific information about something when I travel, the 1st thing that I do is pick up the phone and call them.

DON

Back in 2008 we did a bear walk in ISP over the summer equinox. Saw a sow and her twin cubs, no other bears. We were very happy to see the mama. Nothing more dangerous than unattended bear cubs.

On our first AK cruise several years ago we saw a Mama and 2 cubs while whale watching with F.I.S.H.E.S. A lot of whales bubble fishing and even a herd of inquisitive seals. Great trip.

Back in 2008 we did a bear walk in ISP over the summer equinox. Saw a sow and her twin cubs, no other bears. We were very happy to see the mama. Nothing more dangerous than unattended bear cubs.

On our first AK cruise several years ago we saw a Mama and 2 cubs while whale watching with F.I.S.H.E.S. A lot of whales bubble fishing and even a herd of inquisitive seals. Great trip.

What time of year were these sightings?

What time of year were these sightings?

Ours was over the summer equinox. (End of June) longest stretch of sunlight for the year in Alaska. IIRC it got darkish around 11pm.

Update.... I talked with Kenny at Brown Bear Lodge and he was very nice over the telephone. They didn't require a down payment and we can pay the day of the tour. He takes cash, check or credit card. He were up front and said they couldn't guarantee seeing bears but there is a good possibility. He did guarantee showing us a good time and see parts of Alaska we have never seen before. All I am looking for is a great tour and I realize wildlife spotting in Alaska is just like in Texas. You have to be at the right spot at the right time. Looking forward to this tour. Thanks for all of the advise and information. We will depart Vancouver on Aug 11 and will be on a B2B cruise.

• 4 months later...
Update.... I talked with Kenny at Brown Bear Lodge and he was very nice over the telephone. They didn't require a down payment and we can pay the day of the tour. He takes cash, check or credit card. He were up front and said they couldn't guarantee seeing bears but there is a good possibility. He did guarantee showing us a good time and see parts of Alaska we have never seen before. All I am looking for is a great tour and I realize wildlife spotting in Alaska is just like in Texas. You have to be at the right spot at the right time. Looking forward to this tour. Thanks for all of the advise and information. We will depart Vancouver on Aug 11 and will be on a B2B cruise.

It looks like you're on your cruise now, so you probably won't see this. But how much is the Brown Bear Lodge tour? If you've already done it, how did it go? We leave next week.