Laundry facilities on Encore

MomC

This is a part of a email reply that I got from Seabourn. I asked if there would be a laundry starting in July. "In response to your question regarding the availability of self-serve laundry facilities on board the Encore, we have discontinuation of self-serve laundry facilities on our newest ship.We understand this has been a convenient feature for some of our travelers. In determining the most beneficial way to utilize space on our new ships we kept in mind that the majority of our guests prefer to spend their time on board relaxing, socializing or enjoying the activities and entertainment provided. Therefore, we opted to eliminate the self-serve laundry in favor of offering more inviting spaces for our guests to enjoy" I guess no self service on the two ships. This makes sad.

This sounds like the style of talk we get on British TV when they interview the leader of a major public sector trade union (such as railways) explaining why there is yet another strike brought about by "the short-sighted approach" of management. Can someone not teach people in Seattle to use plain English?

One idea would be for the writer-in-training to sit down, breathe deeply and then...

1- pretend that he/she is holding a conversation with someone they care for;

2- come up with the principle point to be made and offer a couple of reasons for the decision and what led to it; and

3- write it down in short, clear sentences and then read it out loud to see if it achieves the desired effect- which is that it is pleasant, addresses the original question and is convincing.

If you don't succeed start over. And if you cannot get it done in a couple of tries then find another role. Communications with customers are too important to mess with.

In this case, NO ONE will believe that a passenger laundry room already in place on any cruise ship is using space that could otherwise be used for passenger recreational purposes- or whatever purpose suggested within that psychobabble message AWillie unfortunately received.

It's time for Seabourn to tighten up and enforce some better standards.

Happy and healthy cruising!

Nobody should be surprised. Seabourn is now in the clutches of a mega corporation and it's beginning to show. The whole culture is shifting as I feared it would. I just hope that senior execs at Seabourn can maintain a degree of autonomy and can overrule "expert" decisions where necessary.

Apparently several Encore guests have complained about the lack of launderettes. We were on the segment from Bali-Sydney in January when the Ironing Room on Deck 5 starboard became available. They are in the process of converting the Hotel Director's office to be the launderette. The Cruise Director will be displaced as his office will become the Hotel Director's office.

I just received this message from Seabourn. It is good news! "We are happy to advise you that a launderette will be added to the Seabourn Encore in the future. The project is currently in the design phase and we will provide an update to our guests as soon as possible.

Until the launderette is available we continue to offer our guests dry cleaning, pressing, and full laundry service for a nominal charge."

The original response you received will have been the standard reply from when the ship was built. Unfortunately for the person who replied to you news travels faster on here than it does in Seattle so they were a little bit behind the curve in what they wrote.

You have to remember that we have members live on all the ships, the person typing a response in Seattle doesn't have that direct link, just a line manager who gets fed information from their manager and so on. They also have to deal with questions covering all aspects of the operation, we have the luxury of being able to hone in on individual subjects.

Will there be a fully operational laundry by July? I don't know if anyone knows for sure or is willing to commit to an answer but work is underway. The irons are there already and there has been talk of workmen doing preliminary work to make ready for the 3 washing machines.

Having spent a month onboard Encore we left feeling extremely positive. To be honest for me the addition of ironing equipment alone addresses 90% of the problem.

Henry :)

To be honest for me the addition of ironing equipment alone addresses 90% of the problem.

That's my feeling also, although I do understand all needs are different. We will be on in July and will report back (unless it is completed before then and someone has already done that).

• 5 months later...

to TV DAD - Cool Cruiser... You are so wrong. People who do extended land stays also use laundromats. In our 6 weeks or so in Europe, we found lovely laundromats with Miele in almost every city. There are some of us who don't like packing huge, numerous suitcases. There are some of us who actually have expensive clothes we do not want laundered by ship staff. We are Platinum members with Seabourn and are traveling with same. We loved the itinerary and booked. All of a sudden our travel companions remembered the new ship doesn't have laundry facilities. It IS a game changer. Regent is a wonderful line as others are as well. Seabourn had best realize laundromats ARE important to a lot of passengers. For those of us who feel that way, we don't need condescending remarks from a 'cool' cruiser. Your photo is worth a thousand words... oh, so impressed by the 'cool' one. Everyone has an opinion and yours is not the last word because you think we who need a laundromat are beneath you and should find another cruise line. Perhaps I could suggest a cruise line for your mentality... have you tried Carnival? Would probably fit right in with all the other 'cool' cruisers. :rolleyes:

I too like to do my own laundry on the ships only because I have some great silk blouses and I know how to clean silk and do a light press...call me OCD.

Now when we travel to some exotic places on land we do not travel with expensive clothes. If you are in India, Indonesia or Africa you will be hard pressed to find a decent launderette and you can forget Bosh or Miele machines they don't exist. Frankly on land I don't want to waste my time searching for launderettes so we just send it out and hope for the best.

PS: I think you were a bit harsh on TV Dad for voicing his opinion. No need to berate him as a Carnival person. My first cruise was on Carnival before moving up to Seabourn, Regent, Crystal and Silversea thirty five years ago. No, we would not go back to Carnival ever.

to TV DAD - Cool Cruiser... You are so wrong. People who do extended land stays also use laundromats. In our 6 weeks or so in Europe, we found lovely laundromats with Miele in almost every city. There are some of us who don't like packing huge, numerous suitcases. There are some of us who actually have expensive clothes we do not want laundered by ship staff. We are Platinum members with Seabourn and are traveling with same. We loved the itinerary and booked. All of a sudden our travel companions remembered the new ship doesn't have laundry facilities. It IS a game changer. Regent is a wonderful line as others are as well. Seabourn had best realize laundromats ARE important to a lot of passengers. For those of us who feel that way, we don't need condescending remarks from a 'cool' cruiser. Your photo is worth a thousand words... oh, so impressed by the 'cool' one. Everyone has an opinion and yours is not the last word because you think we who need a laundromat are beneath you and should find another cruise line. Perhaps I could suggest a cruise line for your mentality... have you tried Carnival? Would probably fit right in with all the other 'cool' cruisers. :rolleyes:

Take a deep breath and now chill.

Laundromats have been installed on Deck 5 on Encore and they had the "grand" opening last month :D. It wasn't smart for Seabourn not to instal the laundry at the start but they at least they listened and have installed it now.

Julie

to TV DAD - Cool Cruiser... we don't need condescending remarks from a 'cool' cruiser... Would probably fit right in with all the other 'cool' cruisers. :rolleyes:

Gypsies - your sarcasm is a little blunted by the fact that Cruise Critic also dubs you as a "Cool Cruiser":*:*

To be honest for me the addition of ironing equipment alone addresses 90% of the problem.

I agree. I am still totally staggered by the lack of common sense shown by Seabourn here. Just what do they expect you to do when you get on board with a suitcase full of wrinkled clothes and find there is a formal night the very next day?

I agree. I am still totally staggered by the lack of common sense shown by Seabourn here. Just what do they expect you to do when you get on board with a suitcase full of wrinkled clothes and find there is a formal night the very next day?

Buy a wrinkle free evening gown!

Buy a wrinkle free evening gown!

I may have already said this .... but ..... we were at dinner with two ships officers, one of whom we know quite well, and they told us that all the operational staff had told corporate that a laundry was necessary and they had been overruled by the 'suits'.

• 5 months later...

Could someone confirm there are garment steamers in the laundry room on the Encore? Although there is a post stating they are present, it cannot be seen in the pictures.

Also, are there clotheslines in the showers as there are on the Quest?

Very grateful for this Forum. It provides more accurate and quality information than their Customer Relations department.

TIA

Definitely clotheslines above our bathtub (V5). My wife said there was a garment steamer in the laundry room (I just don’t remember where it was but seem to recall it was in there too)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk