Booked the Viking Sun's Cuba itinerary

jabrown40

Definitely going

Do you think they'll cancel the whole thing if they don't get enough people? I'm concerned about 2 full days at sea. I see Viking as a destination cruise line. Very little to do on the ship. I think I'll be bored to death on the second day at sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a wonderful spa area.

take a great book..

often there were outstanding lectures on sea days

and movies...maybe a cooking demonstration....and a chance to enjoy the afternoon tea!!!

We are still going, we are trying Viking for the first time. We want to compare it to Crystal. We love sailing smaller ships and interesting ports. We are signed up for the Viking Spirit 2019 Hong Kong to Tokyo. The Cuba cruise will let us compare the lectures, entertainment and shore tours with what we have experienced Crystal. We are sailing Crystal March 2018 Tahiti to Chili sailing to Easter Island and Robinson Crusoe Island. Think about joining us!

Do you think they'll cancel the whole thing if they don't get enough people? I'm concerned about 2 full days at sea. I see Viking as a destination cruise line. Very little to do on the ship. I think I'll be bored to death on the second day at sea.

They have activities during the day and then there's hanging out at the pools. You won't be bored

We are still going, we are trying Viking for the first time. We want to compare it to Crystal. We love sailing smaller ships and interesting ports. We are signed up for the Viking Spirit 2019 Hong Kong to Tokyo. The Cuba cruise will let us compare the lectures, entertainment and shore tours with what we have experienced Crystal. We are sailing Crystal March 2018 Tahiti to Chili sailing to Easter Island and Robinson Crusoe Island. Think about joining us!

Easter Island is really special. We enjoyed Robin Crusoe and Valparaiso too (on Oceania). Enjoy that cruise!

They have activities during the day and then there's hanging out at the pools. You won't be bored

I'm not big on sea days either, but most ocean cruises have at least one a week and so far I haven't been bored, except when we did our South Pacific cruise and had four in a row. I agree, though, that Viking has plenty of activities on sea days and that while I'd prefer to be in a port, the sea days are kind of nice. I'm not much of a pool/spa person, but I did enjoy visiting the spa area, checking out the infinity pool and regular pool, going to tea at four and doing things I didn't do on port days. I also took some time to check emails, look at my pictures, eat a more leisurely breakfast and lunch, etc. Days went fast.

As to question of Viking canceling whole cruise, I doubt that very seriously. Really, I think they'll be able to resell all rooms between now and when the cruises start. Demand is high for Cuba and bookable rooms are few from what I saw a couple weeks ago. Oceania was completely booked up for late fall and early winter. For winter cruises I found a couple other cruises that could bw booked but rooms were few and far between and expensive, or on a line I wasn't interested in trying or only had one day in Cuba.

Edited by roothy123

• 2 weeks later...

On the Hong Kong to Tokyo leg , you will be getting off in Tokyo and we will be getting on . I'm sure you will have a wonderful time on both Crystal and Viking ! We have never done the Alaska inside passage so that's why we are doing that leg.

Easter Island is really special. We enjoyed Robin Crusoe and Valparaiso too (on Oceania). Enjoy that cruise!
Thank you Roothy, my sister in-law and I talked the brothers into that cruise. I am really looking forward to seeing Easter Island. I have already found a tour company for Easter Island, can you recommend anyone on Robinson Crusoe island? My sister in-law seems to have found a tour company for Valparaiso that will drop us off at the airport and Santiago that night.

There isn't a whole lot on Robinson Crusoe island, but I had a lot of fun just walking around and taking pictures. Here are pictures: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/robinson_crusoe_island&page=all

If you like to hike, apparently some people hike up to the end of the road to look for birds (one in particular, but I have forgotten now which one!) and flowers. Also, past the cemetery and dinky lighthouse are bullets in the rocks from a very old naval battle which some people might find mildly interesting. I looked but didn't take a picture.

I don't remember if Oceania offered any excursions there or not; perhaps not! I DO remember they had a lecturer on board who spoke about the bird I mentioned (maybe a type of hummingbird?) so some people went off in search of it that day. I never heard if they found it or not....

I'm not sure if there are any tour guides available or not, but a look on Trip Advisor or a post in Cruise Critic's Ports of Calls section might reveal one or two. It's really a small place, and a place that lends itself to walking rather than driving. I enjoyed just poking around there, camera in hand. It made for a nice day before heading off into a long stretch of ocean.

We are giving up a summer land trip planned for Canada after seeing this itinerary including an overnight in Havana for November 2017. The ship is supposed to launch October 2017. Hope they get the kinks worked out before we sail! I haven't sailed with Viking, and we love Celebrity, hope this works for us.

It will - don't worry . Have Fun-,we will this year ! We leave in 117 days !

There isn't a whole lot on Robinson Crusoe island, but I had a lot of fun just walking around and taking pictures. Here are pictures: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/robinson_crusoe_island&page=all

If you like to hike, apparently some people hike up to the end of the road to look for birds (one in particular, but I have forgotten now which one!) and flowers. Also, past the cemetery and dinky lighthouse are bullets in the rocks from a very old naval battle which some people might find mildly interesting. I looked but didn't take a picture.

I don't remember if Oceania offered any excursions there or not; perhaps not! I DO remember they had a lecturer on board who spoke about the bird I mentioned (maybe a type of hummingbird?) so some people went off in search of it that day. I never heard if they found it or not....

I'm not sure if there are any tour guides available or not, but a look on Trip Advisor or a post in Cruise Critic's Ports of Calls section might reveal one or two. It's really a small place, and a place that lends itself to walking rather than driving. I enjoyed just poking around there, camera in hand. It made for a nice day before heading off into a long stretch of ocean.

Thank your roothy123, for the great and informative reply. I think your idea of just walking around the town and parts of the island are just right for us. Your pictures are great especially the one of the boat & flowers! Thank you so much, I hope we can meet on the Cuba cruise. Are you signed up for the Meet & Mingle?