Tendering on the Odyssey

oaktreerb

In November we will be sailing on the Seabourne Odyssey on our first cruise to several Caribbean islands. Our itinerary shows four tender ports. What is the tendering process on Seabourne? Does the ship use the ship's tenders or port tenders? Is there a priority tendering process? Will we need to get tender tickets?

Most likely the ship's tenders will be used which are quite comfortable. There is no process for tendering on Seabourn. You simply go down to the tender platform when you are ready (and when tendering has commenced) and get on the tender. There are no tickets required and wait times are minimal. The Initial tender of the day might be busier but never crazy. We usually wait an hour or so before taking the tender to avoid those taking excursions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, leave it a while if not on an early excursion. Although when you get down to the waiting area there may be quite a lot of people, the tenders are pretty large and everyone gets on the next one, so do not be put off!

Thanks everybody. I feel much better about the tendering process. I must admit I was not expecting to experience four tender ports when we booked the cruise. It is not an issue other than a delay in access to the ship for a mid day break before going out and about again.

Sometimes when you dock you are right in the middle of town but sometimes you are some distance from what you what to see and have to either walk or take a shuttle bus which you wait for , then sit on the bus and wait for more passengers and then you have to drive to 'the sights'. The tenders usual drop you off in the middle of the town or village you are visiting but take about 10 minutes to get there and a small wait if you missed the tender. We had no problems popping back to the ship for lunch and getting out again in the afternoon except for when the sea was rough and the tenders are postponed - that can be a pain.

As an exception to deploying the ship's tenders, Greek ports use their own local tenders, which was the case at all the Greek tender ports on the Odyssey earlier this summer on my 14-day r/t Athens journey. This was no doubt a way for the Greek port authorities to generate revenue for their local economy, but the local tenders were all more comfortable and easier for guests to get in and out of.