Tipping

FluffyFiFi

Going on my first cruise in just over 2 weeks and a bit concerned/confused now. I don't know people on here but guess some are ok financially. I do not have a problem with auto tip but if on the last night people are handing out envelopes I am going to feel really embarrassed. I appreciate the work the staff do but not sure I can do both.

Read my post# 483 then enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Going on my first cruise in just over 2 weeks and a bit concerned/confused now. I don't know people on here but guess some are ok financially. I do not have a problem with auto tip but if on the last night people are handing out envelopes I am going to feel really embarrassed. I appreciate the work the staff do but not sure I can do both.

I always leave my auto-gratuties in place. I very rarely give my waiters extra. I think I have seen one cash tip given to a waiter the whole time I have been cruising.

If you pay your auto-gratuties in place you don't have to give extra. Unless you feel they have something extra special for you, not just doing there job.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

If you leave the auto tip on, you will not have any reason to feel embarrassed! We always leave the auto gratuity on. Occasionally we have also left an extra "envelope" tip for really exceptional service, but that is the exception.

Personally, I would be far more embarrassed lining up to have the auto-tip removed at the end of my trip...

Good advice :D

My sentiments too.

If you are in Freedom dining you will have different waiters every night.

If you are on first or second sitting you could let the waiters know you have left the autotip on and if it makes you feel better put a small amount of cash in an envelope and give to them on the last night.

No-one knows how much you put in the envelope and chances are a lot of people might have stopped their tips who are handing out envelopes and no one knows if they are putting £5 or £50 in their envelopes.

Pay your autotips thats what the crew want and just enjoy your cruise

Another post with good advice.:D

I have made my feelings plain to P&O. With regard to P&O paying higher wages that is a different discussion. This discussion is regarding tipping the staff. At least you do tip something. However those who tip nothing are in effect expecting you and I to subside them. It seems to me that the people who get stroppy are those who won't pay the tips.

Another sweeping statement about who doesn't pay tips. Any evidence for that ridiculous comment?

No they don't. It has been discussed previously but I can understand why you missed it. We are just covering the same ground over and over again. The only new issue I can think of is what colour of envelopes are used by those paying cash tips.

Thanks, reinforces my beliefs. Have been on Arcadia x 2, Aurora and Oriana, but things change in the cruise industry.:halo:

RC up to a couple of years ago if you prepaid your tips would leave tip vouchers with envelopes in your cabin for cabin Steward,Head waiter,Waiter and assistant waiter with the cash amount written on to give them on the last night.

This overcome any embarrassment on the last night when people who had stopped tips put cash in envelopes and were handing them out.

As P&O tell us to prepay tips this same process for people in first and second sittings in particular would be a good idea IMO.

That sounds like a fair idea. I guess that means I'll have to get brown envelopes for my next cruise. Maybe even those ones with a little window so you can see the coins. JUST JOKING!
Bit like the old wage packets we used to get,you could almost count it before opening,lol.

Not read all these posts and forgive me if this has been covered... but on P&O UK, if one removes the auto gratuity and hands cash to MDR Waiters and Cabin Steward, don't the employees have to hand them in to their supervisor to go into the tipping pool? I know on Princess that your MDR waiters/cabin stewards are informed if a pax removes their auto tips and if so cash tips have to be 'turned in. I presumed P&O UK would be the same, it being Carnival and all.:halo:

No they don't. It has been discussed previously but I can understand why you missed it.

And your evidence for that statement?

It is frequently repeated here as a 'fact' but there is no evidence for it, and as I have mentioned before, would result in the staff being paid twice (cash tip and share of the ship's tip pool).

And your evidence for that statement?

It is frequently repeated here as a 'fact' but there is no evidence for it, and as I have mentioned before, would result in the staff being paid twice (cash tip and share of the ship's tip pool).

Read back over the previous near 500 posts and you'll see evidence. You can choose to ignore it of course.

Ah! The good old days!!

One of my jobs on the Railway was to make them up on a Thursday then go out in a taxi and deliver them to signal boxes. Happy days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All I know, unless things have changed since 2014 with regards to what happens to cash tips given to staff, that any cash given to staff is handed over to P&O. That is what the reception staff told me when I complained about my cabin steward and said that I didnt want to leave him a tip. One of the suggestions I said was to remove auto gratuities and then just give the 2 waiters a cash tip, who had been excellent. Was told even if I did that the waiters would have to hand over the cash and it went into the "tip pool" so the cabin steward would still get a share.

All I know, unless things have changed since 2014 with regards to what happens to cash tips given to staff, that any cash given to staff is handed over to P&O. That is what the reception staff told me when I complained about my cabin steward and said that I didnt want to leave him a tip. One of the suggestions I said was to remove auto gratuities and then just give the 2 waiters a cash tip, who had been excellent. Was told even if I did that the waiters would have to hand over the cash and it went into the "tip pool" so the cabin steward would still get a share.

I did believe this as well but the recent communication from P&O would contradict that statement. What you have described is what appears to happen on Princess.

For some people this seems to be the major problem regarding the tipping situation.

I just leave them on and enjoy the cruise.

Read back over the previous near 500 posts and you'll see evidence. You can choose to ignore it of course.

I have and your memory is faulty. Just wishing something is true doesn't make it so.

There is no evidence that staff get to retain cash tips when the service charge has not been paid. In fact the evidence they do have to hand them in, both from P&O (above from majortom) and the contract I posted from another Carnival brand.

If they did retain cash tips when the service charge had not been paid, they would receive more than they should have done otherwise. They would get the cash from the passenger and a share of the tip from the ship pool.

I did believe this as well but the recent communication from P&O would contradict that statement. What you have described is what appears to happen on Princess.

For some people this seems to be the major problem regarding the tipping situation.

I just leave them on and enjoy the cruise.

Thats what i do.

If cabin steward was bad report it to his manager and put the CS name on your review and possibly email P&O.

I have and your memory is faulty. Just wishing something is true doesn't make it so.

There is no evidence that staff get to retain cash tips when the service charge has not been paid. In fact the evidence they do have to hand them in, both from P&O (above from majortom) and the contract I posted from another Carnival brand.

If they did retain cash tips when the service charge had not been paid, they would receive more than they should have done otherwise. They would get the cash from the passenger and a share of the tip from the ship pool.

Probably on a par with your interpretation skills.

You can choose to believe they hand in cash tips because you have posted a contract from another cruise line if you wish. As you say, wishing something to be true doesn't mean it is.

Probably on a par with your interpretation skills.

You can choose to believe they hand in cash tips because you have posted a contract from another cruise line if you wish. As you say, wishing something to be true doesn't mean it is.

But at least I have some evidence to back up my view in the form of a contract from Carnival who own the P&O brand, reports of what P&O has told people who asked, and above all it would be illogical to do anything else.

And you have... nothing but wishful thinking.

Or human nature and honesty.

[/url]

Puzzled by this comment. Are you commenting the staff are honest or suggesting they are not? If the latter I would be horrified.

But at least I have some evidence to back up my view in the form of a contract from Carnival who own the P&O brand, reports of what P&O has told people who asked, and above all it would be illogical to do anything else.

That contract has nothing to do with P&O regardless of how much you want it to be. Keeping on saying that it does will not change that situation.

Puzzled by this comment. Are you commenting the staff are honest or suggesting they are not? If the latter I would be horrified.

Why.

If you give cash to your cabin steward in your cabin for them to keep why should they have to hand it in ?.