Early flights the day of cruise?

larayray

I usually fly in the day before a cruise but. For my up coming cruise I have to work the day before. I live in Ky and leaving out of the MIA port. Do you guys think its ok to get a 7am flight into MIA the day of cruise? Also, the return flight is at 10:35 out of MIA, if we do a self assist and carry off our luggage, could we be to the airport in time to make this flight?

Sent from my VS995 using Forums mobile app

I usually fly in the day before a cruise but. For my up coming cruise I have to work the day before. I live in Ky and leaving out of the MIA port. Do you guys think its ok to get a 7am flight into MIA the day of cruise? Also, the return flight is at 10:35 out of MIA, if we do a self assist and carry off our luggage, could we be to the airport in time to make this flight?

Are you departing or arriving at 7:00 am? If you are departing at 7:00 am, what time is your arrival? Do you have any connecting flights or is your flight non-stop?

What time of year? Winter flying always makes me nervous, but if it's not, that is one thing in your favor.

I've never flown out of Miami after a cruise so I can't help you there... it seems a bit risky to me, but if you have a plan B in place in case you miss it, you might be okay. I'd probably worry myself sick over it the whole cruise, so it wouldn't be worth the savings to me.

Flight is non stop and arrival is 9:40 am. I think the return flight is what I'm worried about. I found a super good deal on them and both flights are non stop. Vs driving for 20 hours each way!

While nothing can be guaranteed, 10:15 am is probably doable. You'll want to get off the ship as early as possible, of course, and handle your own bags, but you know that I'm sure. If there is a delay in the ship getting into Miami, or a delay in disembarkation, you might have a problem though. Unfortunately, that isn't foreseeable. Wishing you luck!

What time of year? Winter flying always makes me nervous, but if it's not, that is one thing in your favor.

I've never flown out of Miami after a cruise so I can't help you there... it seems a bit risky to me, but if you have a plan B in place in case you miss it, you might be okay. I'd probably worry myself sick over it the whole cruise, so it wouldn't be worth the savings to me.

My cruise is Oct 29th thru Nov 5th. I have flown out of the MIA airport but had a later flight. Our group usually is off the boat by 8:30 and the port is less than 20 minutes to the airport I believe. If we missed it, we could always rent a car and drive home I guess.

My cruise is Oct 29th thru Nov 5th. I have flown out of the MIA airport but had a later flight. Our group usually is off the boat by 8:30 and the port is less than 20 minutes to the airport I believe. If we missed it, we could always rent a car and drive home I guess.

Missing a return flight is definitely less disastrous than missing an outbound one... where cruising is involved.

We always look at the most important part is getting on the cruise. Going home is optional.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Missing a return flight is definitely less disastrous than missing an outbound one... where cruising is involved.

I agree with Towel Critter- I'd rather be stuck in Miami AFTER my cruise than at home, having missed my cruise!

Does your airline have later flights that you could perhaps pay an upcharge for, or fly standby on? Worst case, could you take the same flight the next day and just grab a hotel for one night? If it's that good a deal, I'd look at those options first, if you're willing, before I looked at renting a car.

At least you're not traveling in the heart of winter, so hopefully weather delays won't cause you any issues.

I agree with Towel Critter- I'd rather be stuck in Miami AFTER my cruise than at home, having missed my cruise!

Does your airline have later flights that you could perhaps pay an upcharge for, or fly standby on? Worst case, could you take the same flight the next day and just grab a hotel for one night? If it's that good a deal, I'd look at those options first, if you're willing, before I looked at renting a car.

At least you're not traveling in the heart of winter, so hopefully weather delays won't cause you any issues.

Unfortunely the airline does not show having any other flights going out that day or the next. We could get a room. At this point I think I'll take my chances. As long as I make it to the cruise...we can always find a way home! Haha!

All you have to worry about is a cancelled flight coming in , going home we have made a 930 several times.

All you have to worry about is a cancelled flight coming in , going home we have made a 930 several times.

Yeah, I would be devastated if the flight were cancelled for some reason. Its through frontier, I've never flown with them before. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Yeah, I would be devastated if the flight were cancelled for some reason. Its through frontier, I've never flown with them before. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I've never flown with Frontier, but I know that on the Southwest website you can check average delays and cancellations for each flight number. For example: flight #1325- 65% on time. Perhaps you can do this with Frontier.

I flew in the day before my cruise on the dream. 9 am flight out of midway ended up being delayed over 4 hours for mechanical reasons. If this had been the day of the cruise I would missed it.

The weather was perfect and delay was totally unexpected. If possible fly in the night before after work and stay near the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The flight to Miami should be fine. You might look at booking transportation to the port through Carnival. I always fly in the day before. But in March it just didn't work out and I had to fly in the day of. I booked a transfer to the port through the cruise line and it was very easy and convenient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Flight is non stop and arrival is 9:40 am. I think the return flight is what I'm worried about. I found a super good deal on them and both flights are non stop. Vs driving for 20 hours each way!

The reason you got them cheap is because that return flight is outside the cruise line recommended times.

On my cruise on NCL a couple of weeks ago, a couple's flight was cancelled and they met up with the ship at our first port 2 days later. I was getting a glass of wine at the bar and they were telling the bartender what happened.

I would never fly in the day of the cruise.

Frontier to Miami is risky. Will probably be fine. But if I were you, I would know the other direct flight options there are for that day on other airlines, when and where they leave from, and be prepared to pay day-of prices to get to your cruise. If that one Frontier flight flops, you are going to be in bad shape. Frontier will not have a hot spare jet sitting around, they will not have a big warehouse full of extra jet parts sitting around if yours has an issue. You will sit there and wait for an unknown amount of time. Oh, and if you do end up having to skip the broken down frontier flight down to Miami and fly someone else, if you booked it as a round trip they will cancel the return leg on you. So you'll get to re-buy that too. (Always book 2 one ways!)

But probably it will be fine.

On your way home - I would try to be awake by 6, and try to be getting off at 6:45am. Tell the cruise line your plans mid-cruise so they can try to accommodate you.

The reason you got them cheap is because that return flight is outside the cruise line recommended times.

You pay extra for everything on Frontier too. Checked bags, carry on bags etc. After all that it usually isn't very much cheaper than other airlines. From Philly anyway.

YMMV

Bill

We always try to fly out of Ft Lauderdale instead of Miami b\c 1 time we spent 3 hrs in lines just trying to check in, go through security and then flat out RUN to make our 11:30 am flight in Miami International airport after a cruise.

Never again!

I had a 6 am flight leaving Cleveland, arriving to Orlando at 8 am through Frontier. This was in September, so weather wasn't an issue. We were sitting on the runway when the pilot announced that we would be returning to the gate because there was a mechanical problem with the plane. They made us all get off the plane because they weren't able to fix the problem until they flew in the needed part from Denver, which wouldn't be until 6pm. Frontier being a budget airline, they do not try to get you on another flight. I had to book a different flight with another airline right then and there. I was able to book a flight getting me to Orlando at 1:30. By the time we got to the port it was almost 3:00. So I went from being one of the first to the port to being one of the very last to board the ship. That was one of the most stressful days ever, and since that happened, I will not take the chance of flying in the same day of the cruise ever again.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app