Visa for Canada ?

Delboy1

We are on the 11th October Boston to Montreal on Quest. We are flying from UK and have esta visa for US. As we arrive in Canada by sea and flying back to UK from Montreal do we need a Canadian visa ? We are UK citizens.

The following information is from the Government of Canada Immigration and Citizenship website's Help section:

"I will enter Canada by land or sea. Do I need an eTA?

No. You will not need an eTA when you enter Canada by land or sea. You will only need an eTA when you fly to Canada.

If you are from a visa-required country, you will need to have a valid visa no matter how you arrive. Find out how to apply for a visa.

New entry requirement now in effect

Visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Note: Until September 29, 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport. During this leniency period, border services officers can let travellers arriving without an eTA into the country, as long as they meet the other requirements to enter Canada. Find answers to your questions about the leniency period."

• 9 months later...
British citizens

You need an eTA to visit or transit through Canada by air.

If you travel by land or sea, you do not need an eTA. However, you must always travel with acceptable travel documents and identification.

Can I just check whether this remains the same please. I have a us esta for arrival by air for our Alaska cruise but understand that I won't need a Canadian eta as we will be arriving in Canada by sea and flying home from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...
Not sure what you mean with "has changed"...? A valid ETA is a must for traveling to the USA. You can apply and/or check the status of a previous ETA on the official web-site: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Yes, we have current ESTAs for entry to US. But are wondering whether it is necessary to obtain a Canadian ETA if entering Canada from US by sea on a British Passport. We know we would need one if we were flying into Canada to join the ship. Hence the query, 'have the entry requirements changed' since I appreciate they can in these uncertain times.

Sent from my iPad using Forums