This sounds dumb but have a specialty dining question

Petoonya

Forgive me for being dense, but haven't figured out online dining requests for the restaurants on my cruise.

Tomorrow I can put in my dining request, and I've never done this before online.

Am I able to enter a hopeful time, but won't find out if it was granted until I board? Am I able to request

a seating for two online? Backup dining if reservation can't be accommodated?

(Know that table for two is very unlikely to be granted, but hope to I can ask anyway. The cruise is a transpacific and not selling well so maybe better chance of getting choices?)

Can you tell me how the online requests work. What I can request?

Forgive me for being dense, but haven't figured out online dining requests for the restaurants on my cruise.

Tomorrow I can put in my dining request, and I've never done this before online.

Am I able to enter a hopeful time, but won't find out if it was granted until I board? Am I able to request

a seating for two online? Backup dining if reservation can't be accommodated?

(Know that table for two is very unlikely to be granted, but hope to I can ask anyway. The cruise is a transpacific and not selling well so maybe better chance of getting choices?)

Can you tell me how the online requests work. What I can request?

Timeslots are listed when you make the Reservation, and unless you opt to share a table with others, the available slots which you see, will be for a table for two. Once you choose the slot, that reservation is guaranteed for you.

Why not sign into your Online Account now, and play around a little, in order to get familiar with the different screens in advance (you won't see the restaurant pages until your reservation window opens, but the whole site uses the same templates).

Edited by JimandStan

Thanks so much Jim and Stan. Sounds simple and straight forward.

They are updating the website at the moment so I can't get into my account. But the only templates that I recall seeing are those for shore excursions- are there others that I'm missing?

Thanks Ronrick- good point.

I just recently booked our Specialty Dining Reservations for our Alaska Cruise. It really is very simple. Here are the steps I took:

Sign into your Account

Go to "View All Booked Cruises" (There may be a shorter route, but this is what worked for me.)

Choose Dining Reservations (On the right hand side)

Choose "Dining" on Menu Bar in center of page.

"Book Specialty Restaurants" will appear in a blue tab on the right hand side.

"Step 1:Select Dining Preference" - this is where you can choose how you want to dine. There are 3 options across the page "Dine at Private Table;" "Dine with Another Booked Party;" or "Share My Table with Other Guest." Not sure if it will default to a 2 top as mentioned by Jim and Stan, but they certainly seem to know all the ins and outs! I've received a plethora of good advice and information from their posts :)

"Step 2:Select Restaurant Preference"

Under Restaurant of Choice you will choose "Show Available Dates." A calendar appears.

On preferred date choose "Add Reservation." A drop down will appear with available times.

Once you have made your allowed number of reservations, you will NOT be able to make others (if you want to change a date and time) until you cancel one of the existing reservations.

Good luck!

Thanks so much Jim and Stan. Sounds simple and straight forward.

They are updating the website at the moment so I can't get into my account. But the only templates that I recall seeing are those for shore excursions- are there others that I'm missing?

Thanks Ronrick- good point.

It is a simple process.

You'll know going in how many restaurant reservations are guaranteed for passengers in the type of room you've booked, and using that information, you'll choose the Restaurant first.

That leads you to a list of dates with open reservations, and choosing a date opens a list of available times on that day.

As the Restaurants start to fill up, popular reservation times will begin to disappear from the list (they try to accommodate everyone, but the SOLAS people vetoed rubber walls for the restaurants :D) so choose from what is available ASAP after your Window opens. It is better to have a reservation to swap when you get on the ship than to start from scratch with nothing.

I have had no trouble getting tables for 2 at an early dining hour... the day may not be the one I wanted but I am flexible

You will get a confirmation email as soon as you complete the reservation

We're new to Oceania. How do I know when I can make a specialty restaurant reservation. We're on the Insignia, if that matter.

Thanks.

The Advance Reservation Window is tied into the type of cabin you've booked (The named Suites go first, then Penthouses, then Concierge, etc).

The number of Reservations which you're guaranteed is tied into the Room type and length of Cruise:

MakingSpecialty Restaurant Reservations:

In order to Reserve Online, the Booking must be paid in full.

-The Online Dining Reservation System closes out at 7 days prior to each sailing's embarkation date.

For All Vessels:

-Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites may make reservations at 90 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Penthouse Suites may make reservations at 75days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms may make reservations at 60 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms may make reservations at 45 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Number of Reservations, Regatta, Insignia,Nautica, Sirena:

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Penthouse Suite andConcierge Level Veranda

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant

8-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

8-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Number of Reservations, Marina and Riviera:

Owner's Suites, Vista Suites, Oceania Suites

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at each restaurant

Penthouse Suites

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean Viewand Inside Stateroom

18+ Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant

All reservations have a maximum of 8 guests per table.

We're new to Oceania. How do I know when I can make a specialty restaurant reservation. We're on the Insignia, if that matter.

Thanks.

it should be noted on your invoice page 3 I think

Or sign into MY ACCOUNT on O website & next to the cruise booking it should have the date you can book the specialties

Be aware that the location of tables for two in the specialty dining rooms may be less than optimal. I don't know whether it's a factor of the time frame that we reserve (usually 7 or 7:30), the time we arrive (we try to be a few minutes early), or just our dumb luck but most of the time we end up with a table directly beside a wait station (ducking to avoid trays or pulling our chairs uncomfortably close to the table to stay out of the traffic pattern) or a table where one of us has to stare at a wall or post.

Thanks Scuba Cruiser.

We've had about 50/50 rate of success in the past with table of two and table location. It's not a big deal generally but ya just never know. We dine between 7:30 and 8:30 and as you say later dining may improve our luck.

Best to you!

Nancy

Another option, people cancel change all the time... once on board check in the Terrace around 8 -9 am for any openings... On many cruises if you share you can visit a specialty almost every night. I have dont this many times.... the shorter the cruise the less the options The longer the cruise the more.

On Alaska cruises from SF to Vancouver rock and roll sea can be present SF to Astoria Astoria to Ketchican Icy Straits to Hubbard Ketchican to Vancouver Isl via the outside passage.... Making some queasy... and not showing up... On rolling evenings, you can many times show up without a reservation... And find a restauraunt 1/3 full and eager to seat. Many get psyched out any time the ship moves...... time you moved to your advantage

Also, don't waste one of your reservations on the first night. Specialty restaurants are not usually sold out on the first night and, when you go to the Main Dining Room, they may offer you the opportunity to dine in one of the specialties. That happened to us. We had to eat with another couple; but it was a nice way to meet people on the first night.

The Advance Reservation Window is tied into the type of cabin you've booked (The named Suites go first, then Penthouses, then Concierge, etc).

The number of Reservations which you're guaranteed is tied into the Room type and length of Cruise:

MakingSpecialty Restaurant Reservations:

In order to Reserve Online, the Booking must be paid in full.

-The Online Dining Reservation System closes out at 7 days prior to each sailing's embarkation date.

For All Vessels:

-Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites may make reservations at 90 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Penthouse Suites may make reservations at 75days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms may make reservations at 60 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms may make reservations at 45 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Number of Reservations, Regatta, Insignia,Nautica, Sirena:

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Penthouse Suite andConcierge Level Veranda

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

Number of Reservations, Marina and Riviera:

Owner's Suites, Vista Suites, Oceania Suites

Penthouse Suites

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean Viewand Inside Stateroom

18+ Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant

All reservations have a maximum of 8 guests per table.

Thanks. This information is very helpful.

Timeslots are listed when you make the Reservation, and unless you opt to share a table with others, the available slots which you see, will be for a table for two. Once you choose the slot, that reservation is guaranteed for you.

Why not sign into your Online Account now, and play around a little, in order to get familiar with the different screens in advance (you won't see the restaurant pages until your reservation window opens, but the whole site uses the same templates).

Thanks.

As a first time cruisers on Oceania, we had the same question.

DW and I are booked for a 7 day Cuba cruise.

"I cruise to eat healthy, and to eat a slice of apple pie everyday before I die."

I am guessing that on 7 day cruises it may be harder to get extra specialty reservations ...on longer cruises we haven't had a problem. Then again, we tend not to be looking for extra reservations unless we're on Marina or Riviera and would like to return to Jacques for dinner.

You never know the passengers on your cruise until you are on your cruise. There are lots of people like us who aren't that intent on specialty restaurant reservations ... and there are plenty who seem to think the only decent meals are in specialty restaurants. You never know until you are on board.

When we are on an "R" ship, we'll go more for GDR or Terrace rather than trying for a specialty restaurant every night (especially with the combination of Toscana and Polo into one restaurant) ... but that is us.

Mura

• 1 month later...
@SweetPeese- Thank you for posting the step by step instructions. I just made my reservations and followed your instructions step by step and I'm all done now.

Great! Glad I could help and glad it worked out! Happy Sailing!