President's Cruises: Are They Special?

Celebrity just sent an e-mail announcing two "President's Cruises this year, one in May and one in late August. We will be on Equinox during the May cruise, so that is out. I was wondering, however, is there something special about a president's cruise such as better food, better entertainment, and so on? Do they tend to cost more than a typical cruise? Or exactly what does happen during a President's Cruise?

Well, I did some research on my own. It turns out there are some extra special events such as what the publicity called "gala" tours, and some culinary events plus special entertainment. The August President's cruise is eight nights from Miami on Equinox. It might be worth checking out actually if the weather is good. The late August date is a common time for tropical weather, but if El Nino reforms, maybe that won't be a problem.

I didn't realize the cruise is only for Captain's Club members, so everyone will have had at least one cruise on Celebrity. Also I presume the CEO of Celebrity will be aboard.

If anyone here has done one of these cruises I would love to know how you enjoyed it.

We're on the May 2017 President's Cruise. We booked the cruise before it was designated a President's Cruise ( PC), and when it was announced as a PC we saw the price increase a fair amount. We have been offered one free event (a concert in Reykjavik) and there have been special tours added (all for a fee...some up to $300 pp). The President will be onboard and there have also been special dinners announced that will take place on board (again for a fee..for example the Irish dinner is $150 pp). Will let you know after the cruise if there is anything else special on board.

We're on the May 2017 President's Cruise. We booked the cruise before it was designated a President's Cruise ( PC), and when it was announced as a PC we saw the price increase a fair amount. We have been offered one free event (a concert in Reykjavik) and there have been special tours added (all for a fee...some up to $300 pp). The President will be onboard and there have also been special dinners announced that will take place on board (again for a fee..for example the Irish dinner is $150 pp). Will let you know after the cruise if there is anything else special on board.

WOW! Not sure we would pay $150 pp for an Irish Dinner in Ireland! Irish cuisine is just not my thing :). Trying to imagine $150 pp for the dinner...and then another $100 upcharge if you want Irish Stew! Oh my!

Hank

Wow! The publicity doesn't make clear that the special events have added costs. That doesn't seem so special to me. Worse, I assume the Irish dinner was $150 a person. I liked the August itinerary but I believed the special events were "free." Thank you for alerting me to what a President's Cruise actually is.

I considered the August cruise on Equinox sailing in a suite. But then I thought the crew would be bending over backwards for the execs and it might impact the service I have come to expect, especially in Michaels Club. Selfish? Maybe but I selected a different cruise.

We were on the Royal Caribbean President's Cruise last September. Our special entertainment was Patti LaBelle. There was a special show in the Aqua Theater. There were a couple of activities which you had to pay for but there was a free shore excursion in St. Thomas, I believe. We didn't go because we only found out about it the day before and already had something booked. We had a gift in our cabin each night -- a journal, a fancy pen, a Frisbee. We didn't notice any difference in the food in the main dining room. We wanted to book Chops for the first night but couldn't since there was a dinner for the Pinnacles there. Cabin and bar service seemed to be the same.

We are booked on the August President's Cruise on Celebrity. We're curious to see what happens with the Elite Cocktail Hour. On Royal's President's Cruise, the Diamond Lounge was reserved for the Pinnacles. Diamonds met in the Entertainment Court which was very crowded and not too pleasant.

Well I couldn't let myself be on a ship with LLP. Her press releases really grate with me and despite being Elite make me feel like I'm not her target market and not appreciated and that she is chasing a different market. I would also need to vent about their terrible PR where issues like changes to the Classic Package inclusions are handled terribly. However, I would pay to see her turning up at the Select Dining area and then be given a buzzer and turned away!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on the Royal Caribbean President's Cruise last September. Our special entertainment was Patti LaBelle. There was a special show in the Aqua Theater. There were a couple of activities which you had to pay for but there was a free shore excursion in St. Thomas, I believe. We didn't go because we only found out about it the day before and already had something booked. We had a gift in our cabin each night -- a journal, a fancy pen, a Frisbee. We didn't notice any difference in the food in the main dining room. We wanted to book Chops for the first night but couldn't since there was a dinner for the Pinnacles there. Cabin and bar service seemed to be the same.

We are booked on the August President's Cruise on Celebrity. We're curious to see what happens with the Elite Cocktail Hour. On Royal's President's Cruise, the Diamond Lounge was reserved for the Pinnacles. Diamonds met in the Entertainment Court which was very crowded and not too pleasant.

Thanks for this informative post. We are Diamond Plus on Royal but would probably be cast aside for Pinnacles just as you were. I wonder if Zenith level would get similar benefits on Celebrity. We are close to Elite Plus but will be short about forty points by the time of the cruise, but these days it does seem that suites guests get the most preferential treatment, so it matters little if one is Elite or Elite Plus just as on Royal Diamond and Diamond plus have little differentiation. I understand, though, The highest tiers have really sailed a substantial amount of time of Royal and Celebrity. We'll be close to ninety years old before we reach Zenith...if ever.

Has anybody heard who the special entertainment might be on the August PC? Someone on a par with Patty LaBelle might sway me to take the cruise if there is no extra fee for the concert.

[quote=Gangway Style;52841669

Has anybody heard who the special entertainment might be on the August PC? Someone on a par with Patty LaBelle might sway me to take the cruise if there is no extra fee for the concert.

There's not too much info on the Celebrity website right now. You might want to subscribe to the Roll Call for this cruise. I got a lot of good information about the President's Cruise last year from the Roll Call.

Well I couldn't let myself be on a ship with LLP. Her press releases really grate with me and despite being Elite make me feel like I'm not her target market and not appreciated and that she is chasing a different market. I would also need to vent about their terrible PR where issues like changes to the Classic Package inclusions are handled terribly. However, I would pay to see her turning up at the Select Dining area and then be given a buzzer and turned away!

Yup.. the Queen of Modern Luxury! Royal C style..

There's not too much info on the Celebrity website right now. You might want to subscribe to the Roll Call for this cruise. I got a lot of good information about the President's Cruise last year from the Roll Call.

Thank you for that advice. I did find the publicity for this cruise quite vague. I wonder why Celebrity doesn't be more specific to excite more interest. I will check the roll call as you advised.

Would I specifically book another President's Cruise? Nope!

I was on one in the Mediterranean in 2014 when Michael Bayley was President. We were treated to a lovely dinner on shore but bussing the 1200 guests to the venue was a nightmare and although Elite Plus, only the Zeniths really got the extra special attention.

Yes there were a few nicer gifts delivered to the stateroom and when the Captain's hosted the Elite cocktail hour the Executives were there. Once you moved through the receiving lines I never saw them again. The VP's closed ranks around the president and only a few select got to talk to them. I would see several VP's walking around the ship in groups too large to walk up and say hello. The overall feeling I had At any venue where the President was present was 'You can look, but don't touch/talk" definitely not my idea of a cruise. Certainly not one that costs more money.

The Q&A was interesting though.

Perhaps the new President is more approachable and encourages her staff to truly interact with those that pay her salary. Personally, I would not book a cruise because it is a President's Cruise.

The Q&A with Michael Bayley was interesting and he seemed very personable. The Meet and Mingle was a couple of hours long and held in the theater because of the large turnout. Michael stayed for most of it. I never really expected to get to talk to him. Didn't care to. We also were disappointed with the treatment of the Diamonds and expect it to be the same with the Elites. We booked the cruise because we love the Equinox, not because it's the President's Cruise.

• 4 months later...

We are booked on the Celebrity Edge for 2/17/2019. We were looking at January but ironically the price was lower on this cruise and was told it is a President's cruise and there will be a lot of special things going on. So the price was not higher but I certainly won't pay any big fees for special events. Would hope for top notch entertainment and food.

We will be on the President's Cruise this coming Sunday. If it had not been for the Roll Call we would not have heard about any of the special offerings.

We have a special night in San Juan that is complimentary. A couple of special excursions. Several special beverage events and food events that are themed to the Caribbean as opposed to the more generic wine tastings, mixology classes and food events. I am really excited!

However, I do have to confess we were originally supposed to go to Alaska during that time period and due to unforeseen circumstances we had to cancel. The only other cruise that fit the parameters we had set was the President's cruise. No regrets here....it was a happy ending.

Agree...not to mention that she really should address the horrible, dysfuntionsl website.

It was posted on CC that on the last Pres cruise, the staff was giving great service...then LLP left the ship and the staff relaxed the level of service quite a bit

The extra events are not that appealing and probably too many Es and E+ aboard.....

I'll find out in a week if it's fun. Sail on the 27th

I think it will be interesting to watch . I'm sure by day two of the cruise, any of the execs onboard will be tired of hearing

"What can you do about deck chair hogs?"

"The internet is slow when the ship was near{fill in geographical location}, do I get a refund?"

"Why don't they give me all 4 perks on my inside cabin during a TA?"

"The website has issues, can you get it fixed this week?"

"Why can't they have lobster as a fixed item on the menu instead of Spaghetti Carbonara?"

"I was delayed getting into my cabin because of lines in the cruise terminal, can I get compensation?"

"I've done 4 cruises and never been given a complimentary upgrade to a Royal Suite, why not?"

"Why wouldn't they allow me to bring my crock pot onboard?"

We were on the Eclipse the cruise before the Presidents cruise in May. Although we know maintenance is ongoing we have never seen so much painting going on....

In the U.K. we joke that the Queen thinks the world smells of fresh paint as everywhere she goes they have just 'tarted' up....must be the same for Lisa!

I was told (rumour?) that the President disembarked the May cruise in Iceland.. Anyone know whether it was true?

If true - IMHO very rude!! Were refunds offered?:halo:;p

Edited by BMT

Wow! The publicity doesn't make clear that the special events have added costs. That doesn't seem so special to me. Worse, I assume the Irish dinner was $150 a person. I liked the August itinerary but I believed the special events were "free." Thank you for alerting me to what a President's Cruise actually is.

A lot of money for lamb stew and a dram of Jamesons