Places to stay boston

Arbour Michael

Because of the foliage viewing hordes, that is an expensive time in an already normally expensive place. Be prepared for severe sticker shock. Ideally try to stay in any of the downtown areas (Back Bay, Copley, seaport, etc) so that you can take advantage of a very walkable city. (There are hotels that advertise suburban town hyphen Boston which you should be careful not to choose without a car.) Boston itself is compact and getting to the Black Falcon pier is not a long trip by taxi.

(Note: With a specific budget stated in the initial post, the folks on TA are expert at assisting in finding lodging.)

Where to stay in boston for a day before cruise on oct 5.sailing on oct6

I assume you are flying in. This is the very best deal out there right now. Hotwire - 3* hotel in Seaport - Convention Center for $159 plus taxes and fees. This is likely to be Aloft. All the hotels in this area are relatively new (Aloft is very new), so no concerns about buying on Hotwire. This is a safe area with offices, restaurants, and small parks by the waterfront.

Cab to this area would be $25-30. However the Silver Line bus from the arrivals area is free to the World Trade outdoor street so where you can get a cab for under $10 across the street at the Seaport hotel to go to Aloft) or you can walk the 6 blocks. Hotel would be close to the pier and under $10 cab ride. If you have time to explore Boston, the Silver Line ($2.75/pp) will take you 2 stops to South Station where you can connect to the Red Line subway to go elsewhere in the Boston downtown area.

Post back if you have more questions.

• 2 weeks later...
I assume you are flying in. This is the very best deal out there right now. Hotwire - 3* hotel in Seaport - Convention Center for $159 plus taxes and fees. This is likely to be Aloft. All the hotels in this area are relatively new (Aloft is very new), so no concerns about buying on Hotwire. This is a safe area with offices, restaurants, and small parks by the waterfront.

Cab to this area would be $25-30. However the Silver Line bus from the arrivals area is free to the World Trade outdoor street so where you can get a cab for under $10 across the street at the Seaport hotel to go to Aloft) or you can walk the 6 blocks. Hotel would be close to the pier and under $10 cab ride. If you have time to explore Boston, the Silver Line ($2.75/pp) will take you 2 stops to South Station where you can connect to the Red Line subway to go elsewhere in the Boston downtown area.

Post back if you have more questions.

I grew up in Boston (Hyde Park) but haven't lived there for 25 years. What is the Silver Line? When was it started? I am not doubting you, I am just not familiar. I know Green, Red, Orange, Blue MBTA and Purple Commuter Train.

What is the Silver Line? When was it started?

If you Google "Silver Line" and look for the Wikipedia article, there is a fairly complete history of the development of the line. Airport to South Station is the SL1 line.

The Silver Line SL1 bus goes from South Station (Red Line) to the airport and most of the SL2 buses go from South station all the way to Black Falcon Terminal. The bus is FREE if you get on at Logan Airport. The transfer between the Silver Line and the Red Line is also free if you don't go through the exit. The buses have one low step and most of the airport buses have luggage storage (best to board at the very rear door). They stop on the arrivals level of each Logan Terminal and run frequently.

This means that if you fly into Logan, you can go many places for free if you can manage your luggage.

We are booked at Comfort Inn on Morrisey...they off free shuttle from airport and free shuttle to cruise terminal...think it was $250 per night

I'm sure they have to offer a shuttle. Alternatives are long ride in traffic in a taxi or staying isolated in the building.

Look at this satellite view:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Comfort+Inn,+900+William+T+Morrissey+Blvd,+Boston,+MA+02122/@42.2924445,-71.0472167,19z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e37b7517e675b1:0xd774051dfdcfef35?hl=en-us

Btw nobody will know what you mean if you just say Morrisey. It's referred to as Morrisey Boulevard.

We are booked at Comfort Inn on Morrisey...they off free shuttle from airport and free shuttle to cruise terminal...think it was $250 per night

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

For 10/7/17 Hotwire has a 3* hotel in the Seaport District for $220 + $55 taxes and fees. This is highly likely to be the Aloft. You can take the free Silver Line from the Airport to the World Trade outside street stop and walk or cab the 6-7 blocks to the hotel, which one is the closest hotels to the port. Cab fares to the hotel or to the port would likely be under $8. You would be in a nice waterfront area within walking access to restaurants and easy public transit to Boston attractions instead of being stuck out in the much less appealing Dorchester area with limited services.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

IMHO .... $250 for this horrible hotel is NOT worth it. I know Boston is expensive .... grew up there .... lived there til I was 30. BUT a flea bag motel is not worth that much $$$.

FYI .... Reviews of this Comfort Inn:

Loud Messy unsafe

The hotel is difficult to get to and there isn't anything around it to do. When checking in they double charged me for the room. When inquiring when my $400 would be returned they said call us in a week. You can hear the train going by all hours of the day. The lock on the door was broken. They called maintenence and they said it wasn't a big deal.

Show less

Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple

To start, I ripped my shirt on the shuttle van's broken seat. The ceiling in the hall is leaking water, the tv is broken and no one has come to fix it despite repeated requests, and there are candy wrappers and a stick of men's deodorant on the floor (we aren't traveling with any men).

The people next door are smoking and it stinks but they are pretending not to understand me when I asked them to quiet down and stop smoking. There are also trains that run eon a regular schedule so getting a child to sleep is difficult.

NO!

Dirty room with unchanged beds that had bugs, yes, THOSE bugs. No refund was offered and no manager was on duty when we checked out early. Don't stay here unless you like to throw out clothing and bags for fear of infesting your home. Also, a commuter rail line train runs RIGHT next to the building.

Where to stay in boston for a day before cruise on oct 5.sailing on oct6

On the Veendam cruise between Boston and Montréal, we just ran into folks from Florida. Through VRBO.com, they found accommodations in Cambridge (for 3 days) that were cheaper than anything else available. Since Cambridge is right across the Charles River from Boston, they had no difficulty getting around via the MBTA, the public transit system.