Tender question i have mobility issues in a wheelchair a lot of the time and use a sc

jerseyaxn

Was wondering should i also bring a folding manual wheel chair to use after i get off the tender boat.Do they let you bring a folding manual wheel chair on the tender? I know they dont allow scooters on tenders.We are cruising with Princess

Sent from my SM-G928T using Forums mobile app

Actually mobility scooters are allowed if the tender has roll-on capabilities and pending the weather/sea conditions are safe to do so. With that said if you are able to walk up/down steps in order to get on/off the tender a folding wheelchair is generally allowed. I stress "generally" as it's still up to the discretion of the Captain that day if any passengers using any type of mobility equipment will be allowed to board the tender regardless if it has roll-on capabilities or not.

More assistance with your question could be provided if you advise the cruise line, ship and tender ports.

I sail primarily with Princess and have never been denied access to a tender as long as the seas are calm. You must be able to manage two or three steps. I have big trouble with steps but with help from the crew and my DH have managed. I have a travelscoot brand scooter and after I am on the tender the crew lift it on board. It weighs only 50 or so lbs. I no longer go ashore at Princess Cay.

Princess princess cay and grand caymen

Princess Cays - The ships' life boats will be used for tendering so there will be no roll-on capabilities. A folding standard wheelchair is advisable. For the most part there is a path to get to most venues some parts are cobblestone and some cement. There are beach wheelchairs available on a first come first served basis close to where the tender docks that are free of charge that are much easier to get the beach. Depending how many ships are in port that day and demand for the beach wheelchairs you may not be able to keep it for your personal use while on the island.

Grand Cayman - Grand Cayman tourism does provide a limited number of roll-on tenders for the ships . Whether or not you ship will be provided with a roll-on tender depends on the number of ships in port as well as where it's docks. For this reason it's always best to check with security at the gangway that morning to assess the situation.

I sail primarily with Princess and have never been denied access to a tender as long as the seas are calm. You must be able to manage two or three steps. I have big trouble with steps but with help from the crew and my DH have managed. I have a travelscoot brand scooter and after I am on the tender the crew lift it on board. It weighs only 50 or so lbs. I no longer go ashore at Princess Cay.

Jerseyaxn, it's important to note that Katisdale's travelscoot falls within the specs that can be lifted by a Princess Employee which is published on its website. Therefore if your scooter weighs more than 50 lbs. your scooter will be denied boarding if the tender does not have roll-on capabilities despite the fact that you may be able to walk onto the tender.

Personally have never been denied boarding but my scooter has because it weighs more than 50 lbs.

My scooter ways more than 50 but breaks down easily to 3 pieces the heaviest is 45 pounds

Mine is a Pride GoGo Traveler . It didn't matter that the total weight is 96lbs and breaks down into 4 pieces each considerably less than 50 lbs as there was no place to safely stow it on the tender.

Bottom line - The point is it varies from ship to ship and captain to captain even within the same cruise line. Therefore if you plan to get off the ship at the tendered ports you need to have a contingency plan if the scooter is denied. You're best to go off shore after the rush as the lines will be shorter, less people on the tender and the staff has more time to assist you.

Is it imperative that you take that particular cruise? Are you making your own travel plans, or traveling with others? I would see about changing your cruise to one that only docks at the ports, this way you would have no issues getting off the ship and seeing the sights on your own.

With my past experiences I know a lot of times tendering into Grand Cayman is really rough, and sometimes the port is cancelled due to the waves.

Ive tendered to grand cayman only used my cane. I had no trouble on and off the tender walking was hard but not to bad we got our tour and snorkeled with the turtles at the turtle farm.In the water im fine.We couldnt tender at the normal place we tendered on the other side of the island because the water was so rough

A question do you find on princess the Grand class ship is easier to get around or a Royal class

Generically speaking, IMO, moving about the public areas of both are comparable regardless of the Royal having more passengers. Sometimes it's easy and than there's times of day that it's difficult but this applies just about any cruise ship today.

However it's important to note that any answer posted on this thread everyone's definition of "easier" is relative to their own mobility level is different and the answer given is also influenced by the type of mobility equipment used (if any).

I am not sure how to start a new subject so will just tack this on to the most recent message.

On our HAL cruises a number of passengers attempted to pet Trooper without our permission or made kissing noises and the like when we walked by. This was annoying. I wondered if it might be a good idea to come up with a little message to ask the hotel manager to broadcast on the ship's PA system at the beginning of the cruise and again later on if such a problem continued. Such as:

"There are service dogs aboard ship. They are working dogs and should be left alone to do their jobs. Even talking to the dogs might distract them from their work. If you would like to meet them, please ask their handlers first."

What think, everyone?

I am not sure how to start a new subject so will just tack this on to the most recent message.

On our HAL cruises a number of passengers attempted to pet Trooper without our permission or made kissing noises and the like when we walked by. This was annoying. I wondered if it might be a good idea to come up with a little message to ask the hotel manager to broadcast on the ship's PA system at the beginning of the cruise and again later on if such a problem continued. Such as:

"There are service dogs aboard ship. They are working dogs and should be left alone to do their jobs. Even talking to the dogs might distract them from their work. If you would like to meet them, please ask their handlers first."

What think, everyone?

I think you meant to post this in the "traveling with a service dog" thread. You should probably repost there for exposure to your stmt.