Toddler Wheelchair Question

kbset

Hi Everyone!

Our daughter, Elizabeth (3 years old), had a Ki Mobility Little Wave Clik. We will be on the NCL Jade in January in a mini-suite room. I'll have to have my husband measure the width of her wheelchair, but does anyone know if it will be able to fit through the door of the standard room or how wide the doors are? We didn't want to book an accessible stateroom, taking away from those who really need it, because she doesn't need all the bells and whistles the room has.

Thanks!

~Katrina

Hi Everyone!

Our daughter, Elizabeth (3 years old), had a Ki Mobility Little Wave Clik. We will be on the NCL Jade in January in a mini-suite room. I'll have to have my husband measure the width of her wheelchair, but does anyone know if it will be able to fit through the door of the standard room or how wide the doors are? We didn't want to book an accessible stateroom, taking away from those who really need it, because she doesn't need all the bells and whistles the room has.

Thanks!

~Katrina

You can call the cruiseline and they should be able to give you exact measurements. All of the wheelchairs I have seen for young children are pretty small so it seems like it shouldn't be a problem but, worth getting a definitive answer.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forums mobile app

Yeah, calling the cruiseline is definitely our best bet!

Hubby measured the widest points of her wheelchair and it's 22". Her stroller that we took on Princess this year was 20.5" and I remember us still having room on both sides to get her in the room, so my guess would be that her wheelchair would be fine. Just as you said, kids wheelchairs are a lot smaller than adult ones! :) Thank you!

Yeah, calling the cruiseline is definitely our best bet!

Hubby measured the widest points of her wheelchair and it's 22". Her stroller that we took on Princess this year was 20.5" and I remember us still having room on both sides to get her in the room, so my guess would be that her wheelchair would be fine. Just as you said, kids wheelchairs are a lot smaller than adult ones! :) Thank you!

No problem. Have a great time on your cruise!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forums mobile app

Thank you!

Just found my answer :) "Should you choose a stateroom that has not been designated as accessible, you will need to bring a collapsible wheelchair, or if you have a motorized wheelchair or scooter, the width must not exceed 26 inches to enter the stateroom door. "

• 3 weeks later...
We didn't want to book an accessible stateroom, taking away from those who really need it, because she doesn't need all the bells and whistles the room has.

Thanks!

~Katrina

we were booked into an accessible room on RC (we didn't really need it at the time, but we appreciate it), and it didn't have any bells or whistles aside from being bigger, wider and having a roll-in shower. It also had a sofa bed instead of a Pullman bed.

Thank you!

Just found my answer :) "Should you choose a stateroom that has not been designated as accessible, you will need to bring a collapsible wheelchair, or if you have a motorized wheelchair or scooter, the width must not exceed 26 inches to enter the stateroom door. "

I believe I would check with NCL's special needs department, as that description sounds fairly confusing to me, and I don't believe standard cabin doors are 26" wide. Nearly every cabin door, in a standard cabin, across nearly every cruise line, is 22" wide at the frame, but since the door does not swing back past 90*, you have to allow for the door thickness, and this generally takes the clear opening down to 20-20.5". I think they are saying that with a motorized wheelchair or scooter, you have to have an accessible cabin, which would have a 26" wide door.

you should really consider getting an accessible room. It's extremely inconvenient to bathe your kiddo in the regular shower stall, even if they don't have mobility issues, but having a roll in large shower for a kiddo in a wheelchair gives you a lot more room to maneuver around. It truly is very helpful. Plus, having a larger room to move the wheelchair around is nice.

Granted, I am comparing a regular inside room to an accessible inside room. The difference in space was immense. Perhaps, the bathroom in a mini-suite is roomier than a regular bathroom in an inside room.