Oceana for the "good old times"

ano

So we have cruised for 20+ years on Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean. At the beginning, cruising was fabulous, but every year they eliminate more and more and nickle-and-dime you. In any case our most recent Celebrity cruise was our last on the "mainstream" lines. We've basically had it.

So to that end, we are trying to figure which "luxury" cruise line is best for us. (They say Celebrity & Princess are "premium," which we find a joke.)

Anyway, we aren't looking for real "luxury" just something closer to what these other cruise lines were 10 to 15 years ago. Better food, maybe free non-alcoholic beverages, no nickle-and-dimming, some entertainment, maybe a few excursions included, etc.

What would you all recommend? We are in our 50's and 60's and don't want overly stuffy. Would you recommend Oceania, Crystal, Silversea, Viking Ocean, Seabourn?

So we have cruised for 20+ years on Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean. At the beginning, cruising was fabulous, but every year they eliminate more and more and nickle-and-dime you. In any case our most recent Celebrity cruise was our last on the "mainstream" lines. We've basically had it.

So to that end, we are trying to figure which "luxury" cruise line is best for us. (They say Celebrity & Princess are "premium," which we find a joke.)

Anyway, we aren't looking for real "luxury" just something closer to what these other cruise lines were 10 to 15 years ago. Better food, maybe free non-alcoholic beverages, no nickle-and-dimming, some entertainment, maybe a few excursions included, etc.

What would you all recommend? We are in our 50's and 60's and don't want overly stuffy. Would you recommend Oceania, Crystal, Silversea, Viking Ocean, Seabourn?

Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea (as well as Regent Seven Seas, which you didn't mention) are considered true "luxury' lines. There are also a couple of others in that class not often patronized by English-speaking passengers such as Ponant and Hapag Lloyd.

Oceania, Viking Ocean (as well as Azamara) are not considered luxury lines, but rather are considered to be in a class between the upper end of mass market, such as Celebrity, and the true luxury lines listed above.

Preferences are a function of what you're looking for. Luxury lines may have more inclusions. For example Regent includes alcoholic beverages and shore excursions in its base fare, while Oceania doesn't. Oceania has a "country club casual" dress code, while some of the luxury lines may still have formal nights (I haven't checked recently). You really need to compare the details and determine which line most closely fits your style.

We don't drink much alcohol and prefer Oceania's country club casual dress code to anything more formal, so Oceania fits our personal preferences.

Edited by njhorseman

Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea (as well as Regent Seven Seas, which you didn't mention) are considered true "luxury' lines. There are also a couple of others in that class not often patronized by English-speaking passengers such as Ponant and Hapag Lloyd.

Oceania, Viking Ocean (as well as Azamara) are not considered luxury lines, but rather a class between the upper end of mass market, such as Celebrity, and the true luxury lines listed above.

Preferences are a function of what you're looking for. Luxury lines may have more inclusions. for example Regent includes alcoholic beverages and shore excursions in its base fare, while Oceania doesn't. Oceania has a "country club casual" dress code, while some of the luxury lines may still have formal nights (I haven't checked recently). You really need to compare the details and determine which line most closely fits your style.

Well said.

I would think that either Oceania or Azamara would be a good next step. We prefer Oceania for food and like their larger ships (Marina/Riviera) for having 4 specialty restaurants and the smaller ones for ambience. Also, having more ships, Oceania itineraries are more diverse than Azamara. Azamara has its pluses as well - overnight stays, alcohol with meals, very friendly staff, etc. I haven't tried Viking Ocean yet but from what I hear it sounds like that would be OK as well.

What's the difference between "luxury" and "premium?" Oceania's beds are the best I've slept in, the food is consistently good to great and the service excellent. In this era of mega-ships O's ships are down right intimate. IMO Oceania is luxurious and from conversations with other passengers that have cruised the "luxury" lines O is just as good.

What's the difference between "luxury" and "premium?" Oceania's beds are the best I've slept in, the food is consistently good to great and the service excellent. In this era of mega-ships O's ships are down right intimate. IMO Oceania is luxurious and from conversations with other passengers that have cruised the "luxury" lines O is just as good.

I haven't cruised a true luxury line. However I understand if you prefer a suite with butler and all the inclusions then a true luxury line is the way to go. If you are like me who prefer a more standard room, with excellent service/ food on a well appointed intimate ship. Don't necessarily wish to utilize all the inclusions such as shore excursions and limitless alcohol then upper premium suits fine!

+1

Especially if one does not drink much or at all and prefers to do DIY tours - you save a lot of money without compromise (IMO)

+1

Especially if one does not drink much or at all and prefers to do DIY tours - you save a lot of money without compromise (IMO)

Agree with you Paul.

We don't drink and much rather do our own excursions. I also like to book my own business airfare (can find great deals but takes time).

Another attraction for us with smaller ships is hitting the smaller ports which we haven't visited yet.

We don't need to be entertained. Give me a cabin that is quite, clean, and comfortable bed and I'm happy. Give me daily ports we can venture out during the day and then return in the afternoon and life is good. Add nice people who enjoy those same things and it just doesn't get any better;)

But, I totally understand everyone has their own taste on what makes them happy and that is why there are many different cruise lines.

BTW, we are in our late 50's and early 60's.

AZjohn,

Well said about small ships and ports they can get into.

Some of the examples are cruising up rivers to Shanghai, Saigon & Bangkok (and others) right into city center. The larger ships stay about an hour's drive away from the last 2 ports - a huge difference.

I remember docking on the Neva river a few blocks from Winter Palace on the Nautica some years ago and then later in a large port some distance from town in SPB on Marina.

Edited by Paulchili

Hope we meet each other sometime in the future Paul. Would enjoy swapping stories of our experiences;)

Cheers,

John

That would be great.

We are next on Nautica Tokyo - Bangkok 3/18 and Venice - Monte Carlo on Marina Oct/Nov 18 - any interest in those?

Paul

That would be great.

We are next on Nautica Tokyo - Bangkok 3/18 and Venice - Monte Carlo on Marina Oct/Nov 18 - any interest in those?

Paul

Doing Monte Carlo-Rome in May of next year (get to meet Mura). I'm still working so exploring time is limited next year. But maybe sometime/place the following year? I'm sure something will work out, always seems to eventually.

I apologize to everyone else that Paul and I kind of got OT and had a side discussion:o

Back to our regular scheduled program (or thread I should say):)

Well said.

I would think that either Oceania or Azamara would be a good next step. We prefer Oceania for food and like their larger ships (Marina/Riviera) for having 4 specialty restaurants and the smaller ones for ambience. Also, having more ships, Oceania itineraries are more diverse than Azamara. Azamara has its pluses as well - overnight stays, alcohol with meals, very friendly staff, etc. I haven't tried Viking Ocean yet but from what I hear it sounds like that would be OK as well.

Just a small correction about Azamara: they now include "Select standard spirits, international beers and wines" at all the bars as well as with meals. There is a list of included cocktails. Some people are happy with the selection and others are not. I can't comment on the selection because included drinks are not a priority for me.

Just a small correction about Azamara: they now include "Select standard spirits, international beers and wines" at all the bars as well as with meals. There is a list of included cocktails. Some people are happy with the selection and others are not. I can't comment on the selection because included drinks are not a priority for me.

tgg

Thank you for the clarification. I cruised with Azamara before that was the policy.

IMO and reading this thread, there are obviously a lot of different definitions of "luxury." The fact that something is included (and you PAID for) does not, IMO, make something luxurious in and of itself. If you DIDN'T pay for it then perhaps.

For that matter, there are a lot of definitions of "the way it used to be" too. We started cruising back in the late 1970's and there are some things from that era that have certainly been improved upon IMO.

Hello ano:

We are you too!

After 20+ years of Celebrity, we fired them 2.5 years ago for the reasons you noted and more.

Have noted your posts on the Celebrity board. Our TA has noted a significant trend of former Celebrity patrons migrating to Oceania and Viking etc with their customers being happy there after.

In under a month we take our first Oceania voyage and very much looking forward to it.

We selected Oceania for a number of key reasons, the reasons being the opposite to the trends on the mass lines:

* No ship in a ship - we will not tolerate the in your face class segmentation that is increasing on the mass lines; Celebrity being an example of this. Celebrity seems to overtly despise anyone who is not in a suite. So bye bye mass lines.

We look forward to Oceania's everyone is circulating in the ship and being part of the voyage together, not separate

* Booze - Booze is not part of booking an Oceania voyage. You can purchase a package if you want, which we do not. The mass lines are fixated on booze and their changing patrons are evidence of this. Azmara will not get our business as they include booze in the purchase price

* Food - Anticipating Oceania food to be of a quality that we used to enjoy on Celebrity. One reason Celebrity lost our business was on the room service breakfast, they eliminated cream for morning coffee and replaced it with a vile edible oil product. Cheap, cheap, cheap

* Gimmicks - The mass lines are fixated on gimmicks (like Celebrity's upcoming "carpet") which is just a way to distract their customers from their declining product. Oceania does not participate in this

* Focus on ports - Mass lines are downplaying ports, Celebrity's decision to overnight in ports and reduce the number of ports is not acceptable to us. Oceania does ports well on their itineraries.

Ano, hoping this analysis will assist you.

ABoatNerd

We have been on NCL and Celebrity, but have a Viking and Oceania cruise planned for the future. We also like to do our own excursions most of the time, just depends on the port. Not sure we will keep our future Edge booking, will see after the next two.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello ano:

We are you too!

After 20+ years of Celebrity, we fired them 2.5 years ago for the reasons you noted and more.

Have noted your posts on the Celebrity board. Our TA has noted a significant trend of former Celebrity patrons migrating to Oceania and Viking etc with their customers being happy there after.

In under a month we take our first Oceania voyage and very much looking forward to it.

We selected Oceania for a number of key reasons, the reasons being the opposite to the trends on the mass lines:

* No ship in a ship - we will not tolerate the in your face class segmentation that is increasing on the mass lines; Celebrity being an example of this. Celebrity seems to overtly despise anyone who is not in a suite. So bye bye mass lines.

We look forward to Oceania's everyone is circulating in the ship and being part of the voyage together, not separate

* Booze - Booze is not part of booking an Oceania voyage. You can purchase a package if you want, which we do not. The mass lines are fixated on booze and their changing patrons are evidence of this. Azmara will not get our business as they include booze in the purchase price

* Food - Anticipating Oceania food to be of a quality that we used to enjoy on Celebrity. One reason Celebrity lost our business was on the room service breakfast, they eliminated cream for morning coffee and replaced it with a vile edible oil product. Cheap, cheap, cheap

* Gimmicks - The mass lines are fixated on gimmicks (like Celebrity's upcoming "carpet") which is just a way to distract their customers from their declining product. Oceania does not participate in this

* Focus on ports - Mass lines are downplaying ports, Celebrity's decision to overnight in ports and reduce the number of ports is not acceptable to us. Oceania does ports well on their itineraries.

Ano, hoping this analysis will assist you.

ABoatNerd

Be careful of setting yourself up for disappointment with perhaps unrealistic expectations.

Just a few things to be aware of.

Concerning breakfast, unless you're in at least a concierge room the room service is only continental.

There are areas of the ship that are for people in Concierge rooms and up. Concierge lounge, Executive Lounge, Spa Terrace. You seem to have an issue with these things on Celebrity, just wanted to make sure you're aware that Oceania also has some of this.

On the other hand there are no restaurants off limits to the lower cabins, unlike Celebrity with Blu, Luminae, etc.

Make no mistake, whether one sees it or not, there is a difference in the treatment those in the upper suites get vs the regular rooms on Oceania. It's just not an in your face difference.

The difference is a luxury line will not charge your for alcohol, wine, gratuities, outrageous prices for excursions, chintzy pours on their over expensive drinks.

Having said all that Oceania seems like a perfect choice for the OP.

The difference is a luxury line will not charge your for alcohol, wine, gratuities, outrageous prices for excursions, chintzy pours on their over expensive drinks.

But, I think they do charge for all that. I think the difference is you pay for them all up front with the cost of the cruise. One line even includes business class airfare.

As I posted before, everyone has their own taste and that is why there are so many different lines with differences of what is included. There are many that don't want to deal with all the extra cost of what they will use. Others don't want to pay for things they will not us (IMO).