Just off Summit Bermuda cruise

Toronto Guy

Not sure if I will get around to writing a detailed review, but just got off the ship this morning and I must admit that I was quite disappointed.

First the good - main dining room food was good, balcony cabin 7132 was quite good and in good location. Wait staff and room steward were great. Shows were very good.

The bad - too many kids! I should say bored, poorly behaved kids. The Summit is just not equipped to entertain that many children. Playing in stairwells, sliding down banisters, crowding the hot tubs, screaming at the pool, grabbing food with their bare hands at the buffet. It was not pleasant and a far cry from "Modern Luxury". Will not make the mistake of sailing on a 7 day cruise during school holidays ever again. I had assumed families would take NCL or Royal Caribbean or Carnjval as they cater more to them, but I was very wrong.

Also, the Summit is in need of some TLC. Lots of worn furnishings and stained or faded carpeting and draperies etc. Nothing that will ruin your enjoyment, but noticeable in several areas.

Persian garden steam rooms were always broken - so don't pay the extra fees. Tell the spa staff as they won't do anything about it if people don't complain.

Bermuda however was gorgeous so I am pleased we did this cruise. I just wouldn't sail the Summit there again. In fact unless they start upgrading the millennium class ships more...I am done with them as they are just not maintaining them to the same standards. We were on an older ship and it certainly felt like it.

My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bad - too many kids! I should say bored, poorly behaved kids. The Summit is just not equipped to entertain that many children. Playing in stairwells, sliding down banisters, crowding the hot tubs, screaming at the pool, grabbing food with their bare hands at the buffet. It was not pleasant and a far cry from "Modern Luxury".

We were on Summit the previous week and noticed that it's just not the children touching food in the buffet. I saw one grandmotherly passenger squeezing several rolls and as I placed the ones that she touched behind the display she said that she was just looking for a fresh one. (yes I'm the type of person that takes health issues on board quite seriously). And the people eating as they walk from station to station licking their fingers as they pick up the tongs to spread their saliva..:eek:

We were on Summit the previous week and noticed that it's just not the children touching food in the buffet. I saw one grandmotherly passenger squeezing several rolls and as I placed the ones that she touched behind the display she said that she was just looking for a fresh one. (yes I'm the type of person that takes health issues on board quite seriously). And the people eating as they walk from station to station licking their fingers as they pick up the tongs to spread their saliva..:eek:

Agree. I'll admit I don't like buffets to begin with, but this one was a big eye opener.

Thank you for your review. So sad to hear the Summit is in dire need of repair....she is one of my favs. As far as kids, yup....I will NEVER cruise during school breaks, regardless of the ship.

Ship is just tired. Needs some sprucing up. The new roof terrace was nice though.

July & August cruises on the Summit to Bermuda are notorious for ill-behaved passengers......both children and adults Toronto Guy - I wonder where the parents of those poorly behaved kids were??

July & August cruises on the Summit to Bermuda are notorious for ill-behaved passengers......both children and adults Toronto Guy - I wonder where the parents of those poorly behaved kids were??

Probably passed out somewhere.

We were on a cruise in August and there were alot of children on board. It got so bad in the buffet that we decided to have our meals in the MDR. People were taking items off their plates and putting them back on the buffet. Going back with used plates. Also, it was frustrating as the kids would stop and elevator and push every floor's button. Bored and "nothing to do".

Thank you for your review. So sad to hear the Summit is in dire need of repair....she is one of my favs. As far as kids, yup....I will NEVER cruise during school breaks, regardless of the ship.

I don't see where the OP said that Summit is in dire need of repair. It is an older ship with a few warts and wrinkles and cosmetically some things need to be replaced.

I don't see where the OP said that Summit is in dire need of repair. It is an older ship with a few warts and wrinkles and cosmetically some things need to be replaced.

True. It's not really bad, but it needs some refurb to freshen her up in several high traffic areas. Stained carpets, worn upholstery, rusted railings etc. Some areas better than others.

Absolutely not true from someone who has actually taken their kids on numerous Celebrity cruises,

I concur. Was just on Millie a few weeks ago with lots of children. Most if not all of the ones I interacted with were very polite and respectful.

Maybe an anomaly, yet this has been the same on all of my sailings on X, so far and I accept it can change on my next sailing which is the Summit...

Thanks all for your feed back though.

bon voyage

Absolutely not true from someone who has actually taken their kids on numerous Celebrity cruises,

We had many parents tell us their kids were really bored and overheard a few telling their parents same. I kind of felt sorry for the kids actually because even I was pretty bored with the activities on board. That being said, kids usually say they are bored so no great surprise I guess.

We had many parents tell us their kids were really bored and overheard a few telling their parents same. I kind of felt sorry for the kids actually because even I was pretty bored with the activities on board. That being said, kids usually say they are bored so no great surprise I guess.

So many different factors come into play, including the ages and interests of the kids and the number of them aboard for a given cruise. While Celebrity isn't kid "unfriendly", there's no comparison to the kids' activities offered by RCI, Disney and others. We spent March break (!) on the Allure of the Seas with our children and 5 grandchildren this year, ranging from 18 months to 17 years, and I was truly impressed with every aspect of the ship's offering for children of all ages.

I was on this cruise also. I found the ship to be in great shape given its age. My only observation is that the floors seemed to have more dips and uneven surfaces than newer ships. I did not know whether this was a function of age or design, but I was constantly saying watch out. I did see some kids on elevators at night, and too many young, crying children at the 9 pm show (shame on those parents for dragging their overtired babies around), but I saw more kids riding elevators and running around on Allure, where there is plenty for them to do. I found the buffet good, but am amazed at the number of people who walk in one direction and look in another. I am a very experienced cruiser, but this was my first cruise to Bermuda. It's a magical place and we all thought this was a great week.

I was on this cruise also. I found the ship to be in great shape given its age. My only observation is that the floors seemed to have more dips and uneven surfaces than newer ships. I did not know whether this was a function of age or design, but I was constantly saying watch out. I did see some kids on elevators at night, and too many young, crying children at the 9 pm show (shame on those parents for dragging their overtired babies around), but I saw more kids riding elevators and running around on Allure, where there is plenty for them to do. I found the buffet good, but am amazed at the number of people who walk in one direction and look in another. I am a very experienced cruiser, but this was my first cruise to Bermuda. It's a magical place and we all thought this was a great week.

Agree that Bermuda was pure heaven.

Were there any Laundry specials on the Summit? Bag Deal??

We cruise on 9/3.

Thanks

We have free laundry being Elite so I didn't pay any attention, but don't think so.