HAL 14 day cruise to Aaska --- Question

Italy52

I will also post my question on the HAL board --- just wanted to do the same here.

For anyone who has taken the 14 day cruise to Alaska, what did you do for excursions when you were docked in Anchorage?

Thanks in advance for your comment(s).

No excursion for me inasmuch as I have a Nephew and family who live in Eagle River, a suburb of Anchorage. I left the Amsterdam at 9:15 A.M. and did not re-board until 8:30 P.M. Had a great day with them! We traveled to Seward and visited the Wildlife Refuge Center en route and the Pacific Sea Life Center at Seward. A light dinner at Girdwood was enjoyed before my Nephew returned me to the shuttle pick-up to return to the ship.

Since getting home, I have learned that the Seward Highway was closed for hours due to an accident the day before we arrived. I am glad that I did not know that the day I was there! Although, if I had missed the ship, he could have taken me to Homer the next day.

I had a magnificent day!!!

:)We just got back yesterday from the 14 day on the Amsterdam. In Anchorage we went out on our own. This ship docks at the container dock that is right in Anchorage. As it is a working dock we had to be shuttled into town which only took about 15 minutes and the driver gave us great commentary on the way in. They drop you close to the tourist info building which serves as a hub for tours. From there we took the Trolley City tour which lasted about 50 minutes and was $20 each. We really enjoyed it and learned a lot. Then we took a shuttle to the Anchorage Zoo . I was a bit apprehensive about the name zoo but it was really more of an animal rehab facility as they care for many animals that have been orphaned and injured. We really enjoyed it.

Once back we took the free shuttle to the Ulu Factory which ended up being a bit of a waste of time for us, except that we did enjoy walking around behind it and watching the many people fish for salmon in the river there .

After that we walked around town, went to a national museum, and old historic hotel, the little Iditarod museum and also popped into the shopping mall that is right by the tourist info, and has a really nice day.

Enjoy your cruise !

Thanks again to all who responded to my question, I appreciated the posts. I think we have decided to pass on this itinerary for the time being. However, we might reconsider it for a later date.

When docked in Seward rather then taking a formal excursion we walked into town along the shoreline and then went to the SeaLife Center. We do love to walk. Afterwards we walked around the town before walking back to the ship. We made some stops along the way.

If the walk is too long for you an option would be to take a shuttle or a taxi.

We've done this more then once.

Keith

When docked in Seward rather then taking a formal excursion we walked into town along the shoreline and then went to the SeaLife Center. We do love to walk. Afterwards we walked around the town before walking back to the ship. We made some stops along the way.

If the walk is too long for you an option would be to take a shuttle or a taxi.

We've done this more then once.

Keith

Wrong city.:) Talking about Anchorage.

:)We just got back yesterday from the 14 day on the Amsterdam. In Anchorage we went out on our own. This ship docks at the container dock that is right in Anchorage. As it is a working dock we had to be shuttled into town which only took about 15 minutes and the driver gave us great commentary on the way in. They drop you close to the tourist info building which serves as a hub for tours. From there we took the Trolley City tour which lasted about 50 minutes and was $20 each. We really enjoyed it and learned a lot. Then we took a shuttle to the Anchorage Zoo . I was a bit apprehensive about the name zoo but it was really more of an animal rehab facility as they care for many animals that have been orphaned and injured. We really enjoyed it.

Once back we took the free shuttle to the Ulu Factory which ended up being a bit of a waste of time for us, except that we did enjoy walking around behind it and watching the many people fish for salmon in the river there .

After that we walked around town, went to a national museum, and old historic hotel, the little Iditarod museum and also popped into the shopping mall that is right by the tourist info, and has a really nice day.

Enjoy your cruise !

I'd like to go to the zoo. What shuttle took you there?

I'd like to go to the zoo. What shuttle took you there?

There are a few shuttles that depart from the corner of F Street & 4th Ave, next to the Log Cabin Visitor Center. There’s also a nifty venue across the street called the Alaska Public Lands Information Center.

Zoo Shuttle

http://alaskazoo.org/shuttle-service

Trolley Tour $20

http://anchoragetrolley.com/city-tour/where-to-board/

Museum/Alaska Native Cultural Center

http://alaskaculturepass.org/

Ulu Factory

http://www.theulufactory.com/

There are a few shuttles that depart from the corner of F Street & 4th Ave, next to the Log Cabin Visitor Center. There’s also a nifty venue across the street called the Alaska Public Lands Information Center.

Zoo Shuttle

http://alaskazoo.org/shuttle-service

Trolley Tour $20

http://anchoragetrolley.com/city-tour/where-to-board/

Museum/Alaska Native Cultural Center

http://alaskaculturepass.org/

Ulu Factory

http://www.theulufactory.com/

Thank you for these links!

We took the shuttle that Glaciers listed below - just be sure to take note of when they run - they were not large shuttles but when one was full they were able to send another right behind it.

Thank you for the information. I hope we can go.

I will also post my question on the HAL board --- just wanted to do the same here.

For anyone who has taken the 14 day cruise to Alaska, what did you do for excursions when you were docked in Anchorage?

Thanks in advance for your comment(s).

Karen,

See later you've decided not to do it, but, if you do, you know you have a built in travel guide!:)

Actually, meeting some of my Mom's neighbors, on September 4th (not sure what we're doing yet), as they are doing this itinerary again this year. They were here two years ago, and, I went and got them, and, we headed south to the Wildlife Conservation Area, and, then, had lunch in town, before, I took them back to the drop off for the cruise shuttle!

Susan :)

Karen,

See later you've decided not to do it, but, if you do, you know you have a built in travel guide!:)

Actually, meeting some of my Mom's neighbors, on September 4th (not sure what we're doing yet), as they are doing this itinerary again this year. They were here two years ago, and, I went and got them, and, we headed south to the Wildlife Conservation Area, and, then, had lunch in town, before, I took them back to the drop off for the cruise shuttle!

Susan :)

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your post. Claudio and I appreciate the kind gesture. You are so sweet --- an Alaskan memory that we will never forget. :)

Yes, we did change our minds on the 14 dayer as we decided to take a cruise that would include an off-boat excursion to Tracy Arm --- I think we were spoiled by this last one.

Rest assured, if we are ever in Anchorage we will let you know. Thanks again.

If you are there at least 10 - 12 hours I would recommend renting a car. You can go to Seward, Whittier, Girdwood, visit Portage Glacier, visit Manatuska Glacier, and lots of other things are are not limited by the schedules of others.