La Reserve

LHT28

Shhhhhhhhh! Trying to keep this low profile because you cannot book in advance. It must be booked on board thru the end of 2017. We board in Rome and plan on running to the reserv desk as soon as we embark. This will be madness I am sure but the menu is just to my liking and we can use OBC.

Drats, a crap shoot! I'll be on the Marina in late October and early Nov. I will have made my Specialties reservations, not knowing which night this is planned. Plus, I have a night reserved in Privee. Additionally, I'm not one to show up early for embarkment, especially since there is plenty to see and do around Athens. Guess I'll probably have to wait for another cruise in that I doubt I'll be one of the first 24 in line and all the logistics will work out.

Drats, a crap shoot! I'll be on the Marina in late October and early Nov. I will have made my Specialties reservations, not knowing which night this is planned. Plus, I have a night reserved in Privee. Additionally, I'm not one to show up early for embarkment, especially since there is plenty to see and do around Athens. Guess I'll probably have to wait for another cruise in that I doubt I'll be one of the first 24 in line and all the logistics will work out.

We are having same problem. We will be booking our specialties Aug 31. We have no clue when La Reserve will be. Just going to see what happens.

On board they might offer additional nights depending on demand and resource availability. Certainly has happened in the past but if and when are the mysteries. Could be a happy surprise.

Thanks for the news LHT28. That menu is much more appealing to DW. We have enjoyed La Reserve several times and she was sufficiently sophonsified to not want any further. Plus not a big fan of urchin foam and the like.

I much enjoy Jacques Pepin's "Cuisine bourgeoise". When Jaques first opened they offered a wonderful appetizer of homemade-style sausages, slightly pickled potato. It was fantastic dish from his childhood. I suspect it did not sell as well as fancier dishes and was soon de-listed. For me it was an example of how he describes this cuisine as "simply happiness on a plate".

I enjoy the GDR, the excellent grill in Terrace and the Specialties have lost a little luster so was thinking of passing La Reserve. I am sure this will be on our to do list now.

On my cruise in January there were two different prices depending on the menu; two were $139 and the third was more expensive; this new menu does not have foie gras but the wines appear more expensive so I would not be surprised if the cost was North of $165.

You can always switch your specialty reservations to snatch La Reserve spots; this new menu is appealing except (to us) the Baked Alaska but I suspect I'm in the minority on that.

Gee whiz, Baked Alaska reminds us of the cruises we took with Sitmar many, many years ago. Guess everything old is new again - though we didn't have to have a special dinner to get it.

Gee whiz, Baked Alaska reminds us of the cruises we took with Sitmar many, many years ago. Guess everything old is new again - though we didn't have to have a special dinner to get it.

Funny story, my grandparents emigrated to America from Liverpool in the 1924. The went "home" often to visit family and because Cunards' Britannic sailed direct from New York to Liverpool, they often used her.

PA0849_l.jpeg

Cunard, with their french chefs, offered Crepe Suzette as their over the top dessert, baked Alaska was offered, but it was an ordinary dessert, not a speciality.

queen_mary_book.jpg

Then, in the year that I was born (which shall mercifully go unspoken), Cunard replaced the aging Britannic with the newer, they claimed more glamorous Sylvania.

sylvania-2.jpg

Being the loyal sort, my grandparents sailed in Sylvania for the following decade, until Cunard literally disintegrated beneath their feet circa 1969-1970.

Sylvania was sold to Sitmar where she became their Fairwind.

Sitmar-Fairsea-1971-from-the-air-a.jpg

Sitmar featured Italian chefs, whose speciality was Baked Alaska.

Until I was ten, Grandmother was always slightly suspect of the "new" dessert, at which point she came to love it. So much so that a chef from Sitmar prepared it for her memorial service luncheon in 1988.

1a977c4da2ab22db2227fc2ca1ff948e.jpg

Cruise Lines did things like that, then.......

Fairsea-Menu-Dinner-May-2-73-1.jpg

On my cruise in January there were two different prices depending on the menu; two were $139 and the third was more expensive; this new menu does not have foie gras but the wines appear more expensive so I would not be surprised if the cost was North of $165.

I was quoted $139.

What a sweet story about your grandmother.

Quote[ Then, in the year that I was born (which shall mercifully go unspoken), Cunard replaced the aging Britannic with the newer, they claimed more glamorous Sylvania.]

You must be having a big 0 birthday this year:D

ORV;

No, I haven't. Will try to work it next cruise. I already have two LaReserve reservations for that cruise. The ships currently have three different menus, at different prices. We have done all three. The menus and wine changes for each occasionally. However, the program is all the same for the three. From reading the info posted by O there is no indication that this new menu will procedurally be any different from the others.