Does it matter?

doug52

Ok, so from a recent thread I am sold on doing two excursions while at Bora Bora on our Cook Island cruise for next May. My question is does it matter which day I book the following two excursions:

Patrick's excursion through the ship

Pure Snorkeling independently

I can book the Pure Snorkeling now and both days are available. Our plan is to do the Pure Snorkeling in the morning and hopefully visit the private beach in the afternoon. And on the other day just do Patrick's tour. We are in Bora Bora from 8 am on the first day til 11 pm on the second day, so we have plenty of time.

I know I can not book ship excursions for some time, but since Pure Snorkeling uses small boats I want to go ahead and book this excursion and will book Patrick's when available. I assume Patrick's will be available for both days,correct?

I am thinking I should book Patrick's for the first day in case we are late for any reason(I read the recent review) that it would be better to have a ship excursion for the day we get there.

Thanks for any input,

Doug

I just checked our similar cruise in October, since our excursions are bookable. But I have no idea which ship's excursion is Patrick's. If you tell me the name of the excursion, I will tell you when at least it's available for our October cruise. Is it, "Lagoon Cruise and Polynesian Feast", or "Lagoon Excursion with Mao Nui", or "Shark and Ray Encounter", or...??

I just checked our similar cruise in October, since our excursions are bookable. But I have no idea which ship's excursion is Patrick's. If you tell me the name of the excursion, I will tell you when at least it's available for our October cruise. Is it, "Lagoon Cruise and Polynesian Feast", or "Lagoon Excursion with Mao Nui", or "Shark and Ray Encounter", or...??

So, I think(and maybe TBK can confirm) that both the Lagoon Cruise and the Lagoon Excursion are both Patrick's tours but the first one includes the motu picnic.

Thanks,

Doug

So, I think(and maybe TBK can confirm) that both the Lagoon Cruise and the Lagoon Excursion are both Patrick's tours but the first one includes the motu picnic.

Thanks,

Doug

Well Doug, I assumed Maohi Nui because it's mentioned in the list of excursions. So the only way to know I think is to ask Patrick. But the "Lagoon Cruise & Polynesian Feast" is also offered both days, in the morning, 5 hours, presumably culminating in lunch.

We used pure snorkeling for the 5th time a couple of week ago, they are great. You probably will not have a lot of opportunity to visit the motu that the ship uses. You will get back to the pier at about 12:30 - 1:00 pm. The tender back to the ship runs every 30 minutes and if you attempt lunch on board that will take some time. The tender to the motu runs every 1 hours with the last tender back at about 4:00. You could go to the motu but would probably only have a short time there.

We used pure snorkeling for the 5th time a couple of week ago, they are great. You probably will not have a lot of opportunity to visit the motu that the ship uses. You will get back to the pier at about 12:30 - 1:00 pm. The tender back to the ship runs every 30 minutes and if you attempt lunch on board that will take some time. The tender to the motu runs every 1 hours with the last tender back at about 4:00. You could go to the motu but would probably only have a short time there.

We will see how we feel after Pure Snorkeling expedition. We may skip the motu or skip lunch that day.

And, I am thinking one of the two days we will take the tender back to BB before dinner and have a cocktail at Bloody Mary's(probably not a Bloody Mary, I am not wild about that drink) or maybe go there after dinner just to experience the ambiance for a few minutes.

We will take it as it comes, with the only thing set in stone will be the two excursions.:D

Doug

Just FYI, I believe it's still true, correct me someone if I'm wrong, but the first day, the ship is positioned close to Vaitape pier, so short tender ride to shore, and longer tender ride to the motu. On the second day, the ship re-positions to be closer to the motu, so shorter ride there, but longer ride to Vaitape.

Just FYI, I believe it's still true, correct me someone if I'm wrong, but the first day, the ship is positioned close to Vaitape pier, so short tender ride to shore, and longer tender ride to the motu. On the second day, the ship re-positions to be closer to the motu, so shorter ride there, but longer ride to Vaitape.

In January the ship didnt move on the second day.

The Maohi nui half day is excellent, However, i loved Raanui more. He took us to the Windstar motu which was owned by the Pomare kings. Was lovely.

In January the ship didnt move on the second day.

The Maohi nui half day is excellent, However, i loved Raanui more. He took us to the Windstar motu which was owned by the Pomare kings. Was lovely.

Emdee, Ok so I know everyone has their own opinion. And, when I posed on another thread "should I book Patrick or Raanui", one of the responses I got was that Patrick's(Maohi nui) was the more Polynesian experience. I think the comment was the music, dancing and meal provided a more Polynesian experience.

So, from your standpoint, why do you feel the Raanui day is better? Is it because of the Motu you mentioned? I think I have read that you don't snorkel, did others feel the snorkeling was good? It would definitely be cheaper, as we would book independently.

As obviously one of the true veterans on this board, I welcome your input.

Thanks,

Doug

My two cents is that missing the BB motu would be a shame. In multiple trips we always try to go on BOTH days; it is heaven on earth particularly if you love the water. In contrast, never have made it to Bloody Marys but Notion/Brandon's pics from their pier have us considering in December. Happy planning!

My two cents is that missing the BB motu would be a shame. In multiple trips we always try to go on BOTH days; it is heaven on earth particularly if you love the water. In contrast, never have made it to Bloody Marys but Notion/Brandon's pics from their pier have us considering in December. Happy planning!

Well, unless we are really worn out from the Pure Snorkeling trip, we will go to the motu at least for one to two hours. Bloody Mary's is a much smaller priority and maybe that is an after dinner destination on the first night.

Thanks,

Doug

Doug ...

I've done both Patrick and Raanui several times. Both have their good points ...

From my "best tours & things to do on Bora Bora"

Lagoon tours – There are 3 major companies that do lagoon tours. I like each one of them but for different reasons:

1. Maohi Nui / Patrick – Best when skippered by Patrick himself. Connected with some cruise lines now so most often the only way to book is though the ship. The outriggers are covered and flowered up for a Polynesian feel. You will usuallymake three snorkeling stops. Two are inside the lagoon one will be outside tosee the larger sharks. Lunch is OK but the alcohol & food can run short sometimes if there are a large amount of people, someone needs to tell Patrick to pick out a bigger piglet :) You can sit in the water or under a shade cover. Tour is usually about 6 hours. When people think of the South Pacific and dream Moahi Nui catches that dream.

2. Raanui Tours - Small Polynesian family ran outfit. Very personable, will hold your hand; off the beaten trek snorkeling stops, one stop is at the manta ray location. 16 - 18 passenger covered boat in good condition. Beautiful BBQ setting on Motu Tuba where the Amazing Race had their 2nd day leg finish line for Bora Bora. Clean bathrooms and well shaded area for BBQ. Nice tour at a fair price. Last time we went the price was $120 per person. 6 hour tour. Probably the best bang for the buck of the big three.

3. Pure Snorkeling- Christopher - Very personal will hold your hand. His skippers seem to have it together. Fast sleek covered boats, 3 good snorkel locations including where the manta rays hang out, no BBQ. Can handle up to 8 people per boat. $120 seems to be the norm for pricing.3 ½ hour tour. If your simply wanting the best snorkeling experience this outfit is a good choice.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Emdee, Ok so I know everyone has their own opinion. And, when I posed on another thread "should I book Patrick or Raanui", one of the responses I got was that Patrick's(Maohi nui) was the more Polynesian experience. I think the comment was the music, dancing and meal provided a more Polynesian experience.

So, from your standpoint, why do you feel the Raanui day is better? Is it because of the Motu you mentioned? I think I have read that you don't snorkel, did others feel the snorkeling was good? It would definitely be cheaper, as we would book independently.

As obviously one of the true veterans on this board, I welcome your input.

Thanks,

Doug

Doug,

As you know I dont snorkel.

I have never done either company's whole day experience but have done the half day on both Patrick and Raanui. I personally preferred Raanui. The vendor was very committed to his island and discussed issues like over development with us. He made an effort and found Manta for us which according to the snorkellers was special. He did shark feeding which everyone enjoyed.

Patrick's half day just took us in the circle with the other boats and seemed more cookie cutter.

Hope this helps.