Tracy Arm and Endicott

cartercat

We sail on Celebrity Solstice on 09/15 and I have been watching the marine traffic website. I am just wondering why some cruise lines opt for Tracy Arm while others do Endicott Arm? Solstice seems to always choose Endicott. I have read both are beautiful and I know we will enjoy whatever we get but I just wondered why.

:)

We sail on Celebrity Solstice on 09/15 and I have been watching the marine traffic website. I am just wondering why some cruise lines opt for Tracy Arm while others do Endicott Arm? Solstice seems to always choose Endicott. I have read both are beautiful and I know we will enjoy whatever we get but I just wondered why.

We were just on the 14 day Amsterdam and did Endicott Arm. The captain had the choice between it and Tracy Arm. He chose Endicott, not because he couldn't get in to Tracy Arm as many people thought, but since so many ships go there it causes more ice from calving andwe would not have been able to get nearly as close as we did in Endicott. Many ships are going to Juneau on the same day as Tracy Arm and have no choice because it is way farther to get to Endicott and they would not have time.

Our captain said he prefers Endicott over Tracy Arm if given a choice and we had a wonderful day and got very close.

Have a fantastic cruise!!!

:)

We were just on the 14 day Amsterdam and did Endicott Arm. The captain had the choice between it and Tracy Arm. He chose Endicott, not because he couldn't get in to Tracy Arm as many people thought, but since so many ships go there it causes more ice from calving andwe would not have been able to get nearly as close as we did in Endicott. Many ships are going to Juneau on the same day as Tracy Arm and have no choice because it is way farther to get to Endicott and they would not have time.

Our captain said he prefers Endicott over Tracy Arm if given a choice and we had a wonderful day and got very close.

Have a fantastic cruise!!! ����

Many time ships have the "standard" to turn back in Tracy Arm at Sawyer Island which only gives a partial, distant view of the South Sawyer Glacier. The transit is 30 miles. ships are also on time schedules. They "could" get closer to the glacier, if they wanted to, but - time is the key.

Some capt.s. have more priority of giving a glacier look to the passengers, so Endicott Arm is transited for the Dawes Glaciers which isn't as narrow and easily seen.

I'm sure there is more to it, and permissiion, and maybe authorities are involved. Certainly, time is a factor.

The ships with same day combo Tracy Arm/Juneau, certainly do, sail as scheduled with some crusie ships.

Our vote is for Sawyer Glaciers in Tracy Arm Fjord. We were there last week. Absolutely spectacular. We took the smaller boat on the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion via Emerald Princess. The Emerald did not get much within view but the smaller vessel on the excursion gave us an amazing view.

BgRCX0r05vQ7mwGM4gXMCkbmKTDV0E3cTLZmz7A3om7ZUp1lj2GFlrWXf12M7D_MvkTAz4lC-zcGewwE9NMcwaogThmmgqkfGSEpDDhXLTzs6YKM4cpCnVK2jEgcAm6A893r3DZqTGBi2apPWEJS_A9axYLEnI5T9DmwAL3CqEDNJPjNHavzRgDr52LsvWCsXFdPdVb8ovS3FEKxhDXKIVSDS0clLr1gj6W7wKsO4ePme1g2FLSvvcjZBNIlvzkffuG8zsYGpHUezTpRtLNVw1l2Jn32esyhFbClDMBlKcpex37r94l-1UcNoWBCEn-dyg4NErEMb9ezOttRWFjPod1IeUdmhC6WPN4p-0GrYuiTXIgoOcwMhPk2TcvAM0YFEKMis95KWAVStAiHDP2LPwY5J44WXMM16ZdgORrzXOo1MnQWeqCF1zwC20L7DeLrbAODoSJrlgvRL3aV26335E5AmGpQG90IyRct7Q4XZqc-qDkSWTeeQMKF5JwAJhK3A6x5YmGQk5VuAZ64TYwFj0Usz8B4Iq6zX-mrtkyv5EM3LjCTvgKh7R_xWp7ZCzC6BAjgoaWQ0KFeAer0EhMPbpy5Oo-fZ4GjzASTsP4ZZaV_KtJcJ6wC=w851-h638-no

When we went, the captain said the glacier in the Tracy Arm was "too active" for us to get to. We went in the Endicott arm and got really close. He turned the ship around 360 for everyone to see. They also lowered a lifeboat and picked up a chunk of ice that they brought onboard and later carved.

We cruised on board Solstice on 29 June we took the smaller boat on the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion via Celebrity. The tenders pulled up alongside the ship. We were taken to the Sawyer Glacier which was amazing. The captain had to turn the ship around passengers who remained onboard didn't get to see the TAF due to the volume of ice cravings before the ship headed back onto Juneau. We were onboard for the 180 turn, which was amazing too.

Many ships are going to Juneau on the same day as Tracy Arm and have no choice because it is way farther to get to Endicott and they would not have time.

This is inaccurate, it is a shorter distance into Endicott, to the Dawes Glacier. plus it is way more open and easier to sail compared to narrow Tracy Arm. Take a look at a map, the entrances are very close to each other.

• 1 month later...
We cruised on board Solstice on 29 June we took the smaller boat on the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion via Celebrity. The tenders pulled up alongside the ship. We were taken to the Sawyer Glacier which was amazing. The captain had to turn the ship around passengers who remained onboard didn't get to see the TAF due to the volume of ice cravings before the ship headed back onto Juneau. We were onboard for the 180 turn, which was amazing too.

Is this Excursion offered on all the Solstice sailings normally? We are considering the one on 18th May 2018 and the reason that we are undecided is because we want to see the Glacier's up close so were leaning toward the Millennium which goes to Hubbard Glacier but means flights to Anchorage and back from Vancouver.

Could you give an approximate cost for this excursion if you remember.

Really interested, do you have any pics please? Thanks.

Is this Excursion offered on all the Solstice sailings normally? We are considering the one on 18th May 2018 and the reason that we are undecided is because we want to see the Glacier's up close so were leaning toward the Millennium which goes to Hubbard Glacier but means flights to Anchorage and back from Vancouver.

This tour is at least $200pp

I am waiting to book this excursion for our June 2018 Solstice cruise and it is not even listed yet. Seems all the cruise lines have it listed except Celebrity/RCCL.

Hubbard glacier can also be missed frequently. Probably not as much as Tracy Arm but it is more often missed then Glacier Bay.