Gibraltar and St. Michael Caves Excursion?

daniTS

I hope this is OK to post here and not the port of call board, but I'm looking specifically for info on the NCL excursion Gibraltar and St. Michael Caves offered from Malaga. (We're on the Epic in November).

Has anyone done it? Did you enjoy it? We normally tour on our own/book privately, but since the next port is something like 8 days later we may end up going with a ship's tour this time, just to be safe!

Anyway, my main question is that in the description it says there will be about 1.75 hours on your own. Is that time on your own in the town area of Gibraltar? Or in the caves or some other part of the tour? If the former, is there enough time to have a quick poke around? Just trying to get a sense of the tour timing and how rushed it is (I know there's lots of driving so it would be somewhat rushed).

Is the 'pause' at the Moorish castle long enough to see anything?

Thanks!

Dani

Hi Dani.

If your doing The Gibraltar tour from Malaga it's a must to do it as a ships excursion. There can be delays at the border between Spain and Gibraltar going both in and out. We were there last week as its only a 60mile drive for us, we were in a line of traffic for about 40 minutes going in and out mainly because there were aircraft landing and as you drive across the runway to enter GIB it's create hold up and sometimes the Spanish customs take it upon themselves to check every vehicle. When you arrive you will be transferd to smaller vehicles for the Rock tour, our daughter and family did it last week and it takes about 2 hours, we've been many times so enjoyed some lunch whilst we waited for them . If you've got 1.75 hours after the rock tour that will give you enough time to do a quick shop in Main St . It's a nice interesting place so if you have the opportunity to go I would take it. The currency there is the British Pounds and they do take Euros but the rate is never very good and don't forget your passports you will need them at the border . Hope that helps

Glyn

Thanks very much! There's also an option to just be dropped in Gibraltar for 4 hours, but the St. Michaels caves look interesting. I know you'll never see it all in an afternoon, but given the small size of the area do you think a couple of hours plus a few stops would be a better use of time than 4 hours in one place?

Cheers,

Dani

Thanks very much! There's also an option to just be dropped in Gibraltar for 4 hours, but the St. Michaels caves look interesting. I know you'll never see it all in an afternoon, but given the small size of the area do you think a couple of hours plus a few stops would be a better use of time than 4 hours in one place?

Cheers,

Dani

Hi Dani

Definitely take the option which includes the rock tour, the tour will take in all the main sights , you won't get round them on your own with limited time. Then any spare time will be a bonus . It's a really interesting place , Britain in the sun and it's a duty free area.

Glyn

I'm looking at doing this excursion too, could one of our US cruise buddies tell me how much this excursion is showing in $$. I have just rang NCL to book this and get my latitude discount, and was told I have to book onboard to receive the discount, ty

Sent from my iPhone using Forums