Maria, Maria....cancel or not that is the question?

LADYBROOKS

While I understand your need to plan a cruise to Puerto Rico, as of this hour on 9 19 17 Maria is at 175 mph winds and a pressure of 909. This is historic in hurricane records and potentially catostaphic to the island.

The focus needs to be on saving lives and supporting the island with needed rescue and survival actions once the storm has passed. There is no information as of this hour how the hurricane will pass over the island.

My thoughts and prayers having just gone through Irma is that there is no loss of life and immediate support once the storm has passed. You could try "history of hurricanes in Puerto Rico" in a search engine to see what the citizens are up against.

We too have a cruise planned this coming season and know many of our favorite islands are destroyed. My cruise is not important. I just want these killer storms to stop destroying our planet. I want these people to have a safe island where life brings us to visit them.

We were in a similar situation with 2 cruises booked in March. Our cruise line chartered the first week, making it a bit of an easier decision for us. We decided to go to Europe this year instead. I hope and Pray that the Caribbean will rebuild and be better than ever. However, with the devastation and desperation that is going on there, I just don't feel it will be a safe or enjoyable "vacation" if we were to go within the next year. Our prayers and support are with the island nations.

OP's cruise is Dec 3 to 10, which is like 2 months from now. I just think that most of the Caribbean islands would still be in recovery. Storm season is still far from over. Last night weather report said that there will likely to be 2 or 3 more named storms coming in October.

OP's cruise is Dec 3 to 10, which is like 2 months from now. I just think that most of the Caribbean islands would still be in recovery. Storm season is still far from over. Last night weather report said that there will likely to be 2 or 3 more named storms coming in October.

I am booked Dec 3 to 10 too. The cruise is past final payment so I would lose that and non refundable airfare if we cancelled.

Very sad, at this point we are not even sure what damage has been done to the airport or ports. Sadly the electrical system for San Juan is so antiquated it might be impossible to repair it and they are too poor to totally replace it. Only time will tell how they manage to rebuild after they see the damage Maria has done.

US Federal govement needs to get recovery off the ground fast. These are US citizens and need rebuilt infrastructure not a patch job in PR and the US Virgin islands. it will provide jobs improve the life of everyone on the islands and be a econoimc stimulus for all areas of their ecomony.

Forgot the name of the UK billionaire who said there needs to be a Marshall plan for all the areas of the Carribbean that has suffered this season.

The US Navy has ships outside PR. They were there for the first hurricane. My TA"s daughter is there now with the Navy. Just wanted to report that the US is responding. Prayers for all our PR friends and hoping for a fast recovery. Right now they need positive thoughts and our encouragement.

US Federal govement needs to get recovery off the ground fast. These are US citizens and need rebuilt infrastructure not a patch job in PR and the US Virgin islands. it will provide jobs improve the life of everyone on the islands and be a econoimc stimulus for all areas of their ecomony.

Forgot the name of the UK billionaire who said there needs to be a Marshall plan for all the areas of the Carribbean that has suffered this season.

Sir Richard Branson . LIves on Necker, Br VI

https://www.aol.com/article/weather/2017/09/11/british-billionaire-branson-calls-for-marshall-plan-after-irma-ravages-caribbean/23204700/

I'm supposed to have three nights in the Caribe Hilton, then take the Jewel of the Seas through Southern Caribbean at the end of December. Just called Hilton, and they refuse to say the status of the Caribe Hilton until after my final cruise payment is due the first week of October. Should I just cancel the whole thing and go to Hawaii?

I'm supposed to have three nights in the Caribe Hilton, then take the Jewel of the Seas through Southern Caribbean at the end of December. Just called Hilton, and they refuse to say the status of the Caribe Hilton until after my final cruise payment is due the first week of October. Should I just cancel the whole thing and go to Hawaii?

From forbes.com

"Caribe Hilton- received extensive flooding and exterior damage"

I also have a Dec 2-9 Harmony cruise planned that was originally scheduled to go to St Maarten and San Juan. In March I am supposed to go to the same two ports on the Seaside. Since both may be off the table, I am going in to the trips with no expectations on ports. Im sailing for the ships. If the ships stop somewhere I like, we'll get off. if the ships run humanitarian stops I will bring items to help those locations. If the shops stop at places I have no desire to go to, I'll stay onboard and enjoy the ship. it is what it is.

Ask yourself. Am I going for the ports or am I going for the ship/ change from the everyday?

Ports are getting knocked our right and left this season with not much left to choose from. I think we all need to take a step back and look at the big picture. All of us are privileged to be going on cruises. Even if we took years to save up for them. the people on these islands dont have that luxury.

From forbes.com

"Caribe Hilton- received extensive flooding and exterior damage"

Thank you so much, Lost Child.

According to our insurance, we are stuck with this reservation until either the ship, airlines, or hotel cancels our reservation.

My heart goes out to the people of Puerto Rico.

I also have a Dec 2-9 Harmony cruise planned that was originally scheduled to go to St Maarten and San Juan. In March I am supposed to go to the same two ports on the Seaside. Since both may be off the table, I am going in to the trips with no expectations on ports. Im sailing for the ships. If the ships stop somewhere I like, we'll get off. if the ships run humanitarian stops I will bring items to help those locations. If the shops stop at places I have no desire to go to, I'll stay onboard and enjoy the ship. it is what it is.

Ask yourself. Am I going for the ports or am I going for the ship/ change from the everyday?

Ports are getting knocked our right and left this season with not much left to choose from. I think we all need to take a step back and look at the big picture. All of us are privileged to be going on cruises. Even if we took years to save up for them. the people on these islands dont have that luxury.

I completely agree with you Sunkissed. I am on the Carnival Magic Nov 2 - 11. I have not made any plans for any of the port stops, which is probably a good thing now. I go to enjoy the cruise and just get away from home and the job. It will be a great trip no matter where we end up.

It's obvious from the number of cruises that you've taken that you have infinitely more money and time than I do. So, perhaps you should take a step back and not judge people who want their hard-earned money and time to be spent a certain way on vacation?

I don't care what ports we wind up going to, but I do care that I get a somewhat carefree beach vacation for my once-a-year break from working 60 hours a week. I'm not taking a cruise for "the ship and change of scenery,"--I'm taking a cruise because I want to enjoy a bunch of islands.

This doesn't mean that I don't care about the Caribbean people--in fact, I've made a donation to PR, and I plan to spend my vacation dollars in the Caribbean in the future.

It's obvious from the number of cruises that you've taken that you have infinitely more money and time than I do. So, perhaps you should take a step back and not judge people who want their hard-earned money and time to be spent a certain way on vacation?

I don't care what ports we wind up going to, but I do care that I get a somewhat carefree beach vacation for my once-a-year break from working 60 hours a week. I'm not taking a cruise for "the ship and change of scenery,"--I'm taking a cruise because I want to enjoy a bunch of islands.

I was not judging at all. I am aware that I have more opportunities to travel than others. I live 30 minutes from one port and 1 hour form another. I have the benefit of not needing flights for most cruises. I never told anyone how to spend their money.

I specifically asked, in the middle of my post, to think about why you might be going. Ship or ports? I guess I should have also put in a disclaimer that the answer to that question should be a deciding factor on what to do.

My December cruise already passed final payment. So that was the mindset I was going with. I can cancel and lose my deposits, which for four people add up to a lot. But I'd rather not lose that money and make the best of the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was not judging at all. I am aware that I have more opportunities to travel than others. I live 30 minutes from one port and 1 hour form another. I have the benefit of not needing flights for most cruises. I never told anyone how to spend their money.

I specifically asked, in the middle of my post, to think about why you might be going. Ship or ports? I guess I should have also put in a disclaimer that the answer to that question should be a deciding factor on what to do.

My December cruise already passed final payment. So that was the mindset I was going with. I can cancel and lose my deposits, which for four people add up to a lot. But I'd rather not lose that money and make the best of the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for clarifying. That makes sense.

This doesn't mean that I don't care about the Caribbean people--in fact, I've made a donation to PR, and I plan to spend my vacation dollars in the Caribbean in the future.

You have responded exactly how I feel. First off I really feel for these people who have lost everything.

This is our first b2b cruise and I have worked an extra year before retiring to pay for it and would prefer not to spend the whole time on a ship. We chose to cruise because in the time period we get to see more countries. We also don't care to some point which Islands we go to. We have no intentions on cancellation but have to say we would not be thrilled to have the days that would stop in St Martin, Dominica and overnight in San Juan to be sea days. We are hoping that we go to other Islands. On our first cruise we go to Key West it does sound like it will be open.

And no I am not insensitive to Caribbean people who have lost everything and it sickens me to see all the pictures of the destruction that has taken place in these places.

For me cruising is not "the ship is my destination." We enjoy getting off and taking part in Island port activities. They are not as exciting as Med cruise ports but we enjoy beach time, shopping, local cuisine.....whatever.

The pool areas on most ships are always crowded and with no shade.....not necessarily something we could do for seven straight days. We don't drink to the point that an unlimited beverage package is worthwhile. I guess we sound boring but for us a good experience is a mix of ship activities and enjoying ports we want to visit.

Our next cruise is a family cruise.....5 cabins.....my treat $$$.....with ports we selected, most of which were hit hard and might take a very long time to recover. We don't cruise until June, 2018 but we may not want to wait until after final payment when RCCL can decide what the cruise will look like.

In addition.....we are near the point now where we would have to book air fares.....TEN ..... and travel insurance. Not sure I like going in blind so for us it is a decision.

I certainly appreciate that for others, the ship alone is a great vacation

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by martyap

Our next cruise is a family cruise.....5 cabins.....my treat $$$.....with ports we selected, most of which were hit hard and might take a very long time to recover. We don't cruise until June, 2018 but we may not want to wait until after final payment when RCCL can decide what the cruise will look like.

In addition.....we are near the point now where we would have to book air fares.....TEN ..... and travel insurance. Not sure I like going in blind so for us it is a decision.

I certainly appreciate that for others, the ship alone is a great vacation

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most Caribbean ports are open. By next June likely all will be open. But if you are concerned you have plenty of time to change to a different Caribbean itinerary. (personally I would never do a Caribbean cruise in June....)

Most Caribbean ports are open. By next June likely all will be open. But if you are concerned you have plenty of time to change to a different Caribbean itinerary. (personally I would never do a Caribbean cruise in June....)

May I ask where you have received your information that most Caribbean ports are open? Certainly not St. Martin, St. Thomas, Tortola, San Juan, Dominica... If one is on an Eastern Caribbean 5-7 day cruise, you are hitting St. Martin, St. Thomas, maybe Tortola. Sure, a ship may go to Bahamas, maybe 2 Jamaican ports and a private island, that may not be what someone is happy substituting. Hard to move the cruises over to the Western Caribbean as that area is already saturated with 5-6 (and sometimes more) ships in a port.